Tim Iroegbunam

useless

He'll be getting plenty of minutes in the next three months.

Only issue to me is from what I saw of him at QPR he's more comfortable box to box than being a pure DM. Can he give us what Luiz and SJM give us if we have to drop them deeper, it's a big ask imo.

Still it's time to find out given he played in the prem in April 2022 so has been on the fringes for a while.

• Like 2

He has to be given a chance....if he is not good enough now, what have we been doing with him?

Its not the first time a player has been thrown in and surprised everyone.......We need to be more intrepid.

• Like 3

Think he will get some more minutes off the bench over the remaining games this season but I don't see Emery handing him any starts any time soon. It will be Mcginn back with Luiz (I'm not a fan of myself) but at least it means Tielemans/Diaby starting up top with Watkins which is something we didn't have last season when Kamara was out for long spells. 

I don't want to see Doug at DM, he was never very good there, it's time for Tim to be given a chance at DM. Tbh our season sort of depends on him as our only viable option at DM, other than Chambers, I can't see that happening after us trying to get rid of him in the transfer window. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He'll be getting plenty of minutes in the next three months.

I'll be surprised if he does. I expect Tielemens will replace Kamara in the team.

Give the guy some time when he comes on. 

Yes, he can surprise but Mainoo and Miley are rated way higher than Tim. 

If he is serviceable the rest of the season would be a great success but temper expectations for the lad. 

• Like 1

McGinn is inconsistent when played further back.  And as a whole we are a much weaker outfit due to him missing from the front. 

Tielemans is poor when played further back, and would expose us massively.

Tim is a bit of an unknown quantity, but to me in his brief cameos he looks like an ideal replacement of Kamara, with an ability to win the ball back and create space for a pass.

I'd be disappointed if we continue to play without him, not least because the minutes our other players have played is way above what it should be for this stage of the season. Trying to use only the same 10 other players plus who would otherwise be the first sub to come on, is a recipe for more injuries. 

Tim needs to be trusted to start. It's why he should have been given more time earlier in the season and especially against Chelsea (yes we didn't know Kamara was due a season ending injury, but that game was the prime opportunity for him and was stated as such at the time).

Give Tim a chance Unai, you know it makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I don't want to see Doug at DM, he was never very good there, it's time for Tim to be given a chance at DM. Tbh our season sort of depends on him as our only viable option at DM, other than Chambers, I can't see that happening after us trying to get rid of him in the transfer window. 

I thought he did a pretty good job last season when called on by emery but its worth giving Tim.a chance there 

The lack of playing time thus far for Tim doesn’t really point towards Emery trusting him just yet in the role. It may be that Tim does “step up/take it to the next level”, i certainly hope he does, but I don’t imagine Emery will see this as ideal conditions for Tim’s progression. The idea of being thrown into the fire to find the measure of a player is romantic and viable to a degree, but not the most modern way of approaching player development.

42 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

The lack of playing time thus far for Tim doesn’t really point towards Emery trusting him just yet in the role. It may be that Tim does “step up/take it to the next level”, i certainly hope he does, but I don’t imagine Emery will see this as ideal conditions for Tim’s progression. The idea of being thrown into the fire to find the measure of a player is romantic and viable to a degree, but not the most modern way of approaching player development.

Your right, but do we have choice? Have we even got the opportunity to purchase another top level DM in the summer with the financial restrictions? We have to give him a chance, Doug doesn't play that role well and is to important in other areas, Tielemans maybe but I haven't seen him excell in that part of the game so far. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about it this way. If we play Luiz or McGinn in Kamara's position we not only weaken the defensive areas we also blunt our attack.

If we play Tim in Kamara's position, we weaken that position (assuming he doesn't get off to an absolute flyer) but we don't weaken our attacking midfield.

Seems to me a no-brainer. I just don't think McGinn or Luiz are any good at all at the deeper role.

And this is why I should be a football manager.

• Haha 2

McGinn to start and Tim to substitute is the most logical way to get him playing time. McGinn has been used in the double pivot (albeit mixed results) but depending on the game state, Tim will most likely be substituted in.

The issue with starting Tim right away (and all of the crazy ideas like Cash or Pau in the same role) is that the Kamara role plays an important part in building out from Emi. Consider Bouba, who along with Luiz, is best on the team at those high risk passes from Emi - has also made his fair share of blunders giving an opponent a free 1v1.

To thrust Tim in that role and expect him to play that way is a mighty big ask (though one he could surprise) but I think Unai will trust McGinn 10x more to start out a match.

But I fully expect to see Tim more as a substitute now that Kamara is out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichW said:

Think he will get some more minutes off the bench over the remaining games this season but I don't see Emery handing him any starts any time soon. It will be Mcginn back with Luiz (I'm not a fan of myself) but at least it means Tielemans/Diaby starting up top with Watkins which is something we didn't have last season when Kamara was out for long spells. 

Tim has to be started, he has to have the managers confidence and blessing( even if the manager is in doubt) a few minutes here or there is not enough, to get settled in a team.

He is either good enough or he is not.....and right now, No one knows for sure......give him a run, and we will all find out.

The manager, the players and the fans.....have to have the courage, to play these players.....and they have to let each other know, by reaction, that we are all in it, despite the results.....The injuries have decided, we don't have the first team now....so we need to drop the idea, that we have....its decimated, so we( fans) need to get used to it.....play the kids, peripherals and lets all get behind them, with no expectation.

McGinn is best to be left where he does his best work on the right.....If the senior players, stay in their best positions, its easier for the young players to integrate and develop.

JJ was persevered with, until he was punching his own weight.....we have to let that happen.

Jaden Philogene is tearing it up at Hull.....Cam has just scored a really impressive goal for Sheff Utd......these kids have to be given the chances....If we have decided to go for top places, a bit too early, we need to factor that in, and give the kids a chance.

The positive for me on Sunday, was to see that little spark from JJ again, despite his fluffed lines, in front of goal, that will come.

These kids won't learn on the side lines.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

I think Villa fans, and this is not just Villa, but really all fanbases - fall in love with the romantic notion of play the kids.

And while there are exceptions, all of the academy graduates that went on to be successful, were highly regarded and stood out above their age group.

I'm sure @useless can provide more insight, but I'm not sure Tim is up there with the levels of even Carney, how much more your Grealish, Ablrighton's, Barry's, JJ's of our academy.

That he would be serviceable is a great result for this season - expecting him to suddenly surge into the spotlight is a bit much I think.

Â