Tim Iroegbunam

useless

OK, I concede… whatever Unai thinks is best…

He has seen him train and develop so if he says he can fulfil that role, I can believe it.

Didn’t expect it but… hopefully Tim can step up to the plate… and who better than the main man to know or judge:

"And he's doing a process with us. I think his characteristics as a player is more or less the same position trying to fight to or to share the position with Bouba Kamara. Leander Dendoncker is a little bit similar.

"When we were trying to analyse deeply how we can face the last four months in every competition we are facing, I decided to let Dendoncker to leave and to keep here Tim. I am going to work now after today and after the match tomorrow thinking to give him chances to progress with us here in the idea we are trying to build with Tim.

Asked if he is putting faith in the youth, Emery said: "We have to do it, we have to try and support and help. Tim has been working with us for five months. He started being injured in the summer but he was available training with us the last few months.

"I was testing him in each session we were having, it was a test for him. I was testing him with our coaches. I think he is a player who can progress and we think he could progress more now [after] giving him more chances to play."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/unai-emery-reveals-plan-replace-28513952

Edited by Jas10

How is he defensively? Adept at tackles, interceptions, blocks?

Will certainly be more agile and energetic than Donk…

We lack a bit of physicality or steel… can he bring it?

Must be good on the ball and in the pass for Unai to show so much faith in him…

i hope he takes his chance.

I see Timmy a bit like Kesler-Hayden, i think both have bags of ability, if they have the mentality to go with it, they will have a chance for sure.

If they dont make it, they dont, no point in being overly invested in it, but it would be nice to see both Timmy and Kesler-Hayden achieve their potential, they both seem like Emery type players on paper, i just hope they have the mentality to back it up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

i hope he takes his chance.

I see Timmy a bit like Kesler-Hayden, i think both have bags of ability, if they have the mentality to go with it, they will have a chance for sure.

If they dont make it, they dont, no point in being overly invested in it, but it would be nice to see both Timmy and Kesler-Hayden achieve their potential, they both seem like Emery type players on paper, i just hope they have the mentality to back it up.

Massive opportunities for the pair of them and… they won’t have worked with a comparable manager or coach before… so let’s see what they’re capable of…

If Unai believes, I believe…

His comments give me some comfort or assurance… he will have followed them closely and, as he said, he and his coaches have already worked with and tested Tim…

Kind of exciting… All hail King Unai.

• Like 1

I love how Unai really does consider player welfare . In that he feels it is right to involve 

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

How is he defensively? Adept at tackles, interceptions, blocks?

Will certainly be more agile and energetic than Donk…

We lack a bit of physicality or steel… can he bring it?

Must be good on the ball and in the pass for Unai to show so much faith in him…

Right . Haven't seen him play much for a while for obvious reasons.. but here goes based on last season at QPR .  

Defensively.  Very good one on one but can get caught out from time to time when he switches off. Loves a tackle and smashes into them from time to time.  Will need to stay on his feet more in the Prem. When he puts the afterburners on he is a quick runner. 

Was super strong at u21 level. Not so much at QPR as he was playing v men but he is strong and i expect he will be getting stronger every day.

Can beat a man for fun at Championship level as he has such a good bodyswerve. So he can break the lines and drive forward. A good passer both short and long but Emery will have to reign in his hollywood balls. Again, 3 months of training with Emery will have improved that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I love how Unai really does consider player welfare . In that he feels it is right to involve 

Right . Haven't seen him play much for a while for obvious reasons.. but here goes based on last season at QPR .  

Defensively.  Very good one on one but can get caught out from time to time when he switches off. Loves a tackle and smashes into them from time to time.  Will need to stay on his feet more in the Prem. When he puts the afterburners on he is a quick runner. 

Was super strong at u21 level. Not so much at QPR as he was playing v men but he is strong and i expect he will be getting stronger every day.

Can beat a man for fun at Championship level as he has such a good bodyswerve. So he can break the lines and drive forward. A good passer both short and long but Emery will have to reign in his hollywood balls. Again, 3 months of training with Emery will have improved that.

Promising, hope he can steer clear of any more injuries or knocks…

@Jas10 in the mud 😂

Promising, hope he can steer clear of any more injuries or knocks…

@Jas10 in the mud 😂

Just watch the vid. Sums him up to a tee. And his acceleration is great. Not a huge top speed but he has that ability to surge forward and get away from a player, then slow down, then speed up again. 

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Just watch the vid. Sums him up to a tee. And his acceleration is great. Not a huge top speed but he has that ability to surge forward and get away from a player, then slow down, then speed up again. 

Yeah I watched it and was impressed… like I said, promising (signs)… 

but nothing gives me confidence or assurance as much as Unai’s words… words of wisdom…

I didn’t expect it but I’m fully behind it… he knows much better…

If Unai is happy and feels good about the squad, I’m totally on board…

I won’t rule out any signings (neither has he) until the window has closed though…

8 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

That’s a big plus over Dendoncker and he does seem more comfortable in possession and can pass the ball with confidence… just a question of if he can step up (and avoid any more injuries)… if Unai thinks and says he can… well, that’s good enough for me…

Excited to see how he gets on…

-

I saw bits of footage when he was at QPR and he appeared to run with the ball a fair bit and get forwards… a lot of comments that he appeared to be more of a box to box CM than a DM too… which influenced my thoughts…

But Unai has specifically stated that he sees him as a Kamara type or deputy and that is enough to convince me…

Edited by Jas10

12 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I’m mostly concerned about his defensive ability and robustness… whether he can actually do the job Bouba does and get those key interceptions in while carrying the ball a bit and passing it forwards… the footage demonstrates that he can… it’s just about stepping up to PL level…

he looked a little lightweight and didn’t really stand out in his cameo vs Manure but that is nowhere near enough to go off of… I suppose injury troubles are why he hasn’t been more involved…

Edited by Jas10

That’s a big plus over Dendoncker and he does seem more comfortable in possession and can pass the ball with confidence… just a question of if he can step up (and avoid any more injuries)… if Unai thinks and says he can… well, that’s good enough for me…

Excited to see how he gets on…

I just hope he can get to grips with the position that Emery wants him in. It involves more passing and less beating the man. But he can pass and he can track back and make a tackle easily due to his athleticism. The kids got telescopic legs

He probably is more of an 8 but it wouldn’t hurt to learn being more of a 6 with Bouba as inspiration. Dougie’s experience as a 6 has definitely helped him even though he’s more of a box to box now. 

Saka starting at LB has also helped him now that he’s a winger both in terms of beating his man and tracking back. 

Just now, MWARLEY2 said:

I just hope he can get to grips with the position that Emery wants him in. It involves more passing and less beating the man. But he can pass and he can track back and make a tackle easily due to his athleticism. The kids got telescopic legs

We weren’t privy to what’s been going on, on the training ground. I’m “boosted” by Unai’s comments and the work that has gone in to helping and developing him…

Again, it’s enough for me that Unai believes in him…

Just, considering the sales and loans of other youngsters… I think it was fair to at least consider the thought option of the same happening with Tim but… clearly not…

Hope he can be a real asset for the rest of the season at least…

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Massive opportunities for the pair of them and… they won’t have worked with a comparable manager or coach before… so let’s see what they’re capable of…

If Unai believes, I believe…

His comments give me some comfort or assurance… he will have followed them closely and, as he said, he and his coaches have already worked with and tested Tim…

Kind of exciting… All hail King Unai.

The massive plus point is because they are so young they will absorb what he’s telling them far easier. Not quite a blank slide but not far off perfect for the Don to waive his magic. Very excited for them both and very excited to see them getting some minutes and growing with the team. 

• Like 2

tbf, having academy players like Timmy and kesler in the squad (if they are good enough), is much wiser than having players like Donk and Digne (obviously Digne is LB, but i just mean as backups) on huge wages, especially considering the new wages to turnover limits coming in and reducing year on year until 70%.

It will allow us to develop players, if they do well in the squad, they stay, or we sell on for profit, all the time being better for the squad finances, and allowing more of our budget to be spent on the big earners etc.

makes sense overall.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbf, having academy players like Timmy and kesler in the squad (if they are good enough), is much wiser than having players like Donk and Digne (obviously Digne is LB, but i just mean as backups) on huge wages, especially considering the new wages to turnover limits coming in and reducing year on year until 70%.

It will allow us to develop players, if they do well in the squad, they stay, or we sell on for profit, all the time being better for the squad finances, and allowing more of our budget to be spent on the big earners etc.

makes sense overall.

Makes too much sense to me.

Let's get in a reliable veteran and pay him double one of academy player's wages for him to sit on the bench for all but 2 or 3 matches!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

Makes too much sense to me.

Let's get in a reliable veteran and pay him double one of academy player's wages for him to sit on the bench for all but 2 or 3 matches!

you bored today Stevie

Its his balance and instant acceleration that is in my opinion potentially ultra elite. Thats what differentiates him from others.  Not many big players have the agility he has. Due to the balance he has he can adjust his body into positions at the last moment that for others would not be possible to make tackles.  . He can instantly switch direction and accelerate immediately from   0-100 to get past players with what seems like minimal effort. He has the natural attributes that i guess make Emery happy to make him a project and see if he can improve him tactically and in decision making.  Because if he pushes on he will be a very good asset to the club. Still only 20yrs 6 months so loads of time for him. 

• Like 1

Â