Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

He did a few good runs, but some of his passing and touches were absolutely terrible, just gifting the ball to the opposition.

If you are playing a team sitting in, you can't be giving them easy outs to relieve the pressure like he was so often.

I thought he was pretty poor first half, albeit I'm not sure how much of that was his fault, he was not getting the ball in dangerous areas where he could make something happen, plus most of the team were poor first half, so I think unfair to single out individuals to the extent that's happening with Youri & Leon. Second half I thought he was much better and looked the player most likely to make something happen, showed some great skills at times dribbling past players in the box, that if Zaniolo had have performed people would be enthusiastically toasting.

Edited by useless

18 minutes ago, useless said:

I thought he was pretty poor first half, albeit I'm not sure how much of that was his fault, he was not getting the ball in dangerous areas where he could make something happen, plus most of the team were poor first half, so I think unfair to single out individuals to the extent that's happening with Youri & Leon. Second half I thought he was much better and looked the player most likely to make something happen, showed some great skills at times dribbling past players in the box, that if Zaniolo had have performed people would be enthusiastically toasting.

But it's easy to say if Zaniolo had done it. Leon has been with us a lot longer and considering he's disappointed in several of his appearances it'll take a lot more to impress many fans.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Once again don't get what people were watching. Was definitely one of the best performers on the pitch for us tonight. I much prefer him on the left side to the right.

Did he not constantly receive ball from Langlet in second half go nowhere then pass it straight back? What did I miss?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Did he not constantly receive ball from Langlet in second half go nowhere then pass it straight back? What did I miss?

No, he was receiving them from mcginn after lenglet passed to mcginn. And he had nowhere to go. There were 2 players in front of him 90% of the time. He beat his man when he was 1 on 1.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

No, he was receiving them from mcginn after lenglet passed to mcginn. And he had nowhere to go. There were 2 players in front of him 90% of the time. He beat his man when he was 1 on 1.

Way more from Lenglet (#17) direct to Bailey that I noticed

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Way more from Lenglet (#17) direct to Bailey that I noticed

Maybe later on when we were really pressing for the goal but they were already in their banks of 5 and 4 when Bailey is receiving those passes and without a runner to draw one away it becomes impossible to find an opportunity to beat your man there. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Maybe later on when we were really pressing for the goal but they were already in their banks of 5 and 4 when Bailey is receiving those passes and without a runner to draw one away it becomes impossible to find an opportunity to beat your man there. 

Yes he was doubled up on a lot but point stands no idea how someone could have him as MotM

• Like 2

He’s done really well and his confidence seems growing. I think Emery should really consider playing him left side especially in games like this. 
He beat couple of defenders at once. I understand his last touch wasn’t good but we know he’s a good finisher and that never been the issue. His issue was not keeping the ball and unsuccessful dribbles which is his main attribute.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Did absolutely nothing majority of second half other than receive ball from Langlet do some swivels go nowhere and pass back to Langlet. Genuinely confused how he could be anyone's MotM

This. Lots of fancy skills, too many touches, and then lost the ball every time. He was crap

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sounds like he is auditioning to play the Grealish role 😝

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Think your stretching this just a bit too far - He was ok, nothing more than this - Bertie looked a lot more assured in his cameo and motm for me despite only playing 45 was Digne 

Nobody was really more than OK - it was a tough game against a very defensive side. I wouldn't say there was an outstanding candidate but it's not fanciful to suggest Bailey. 

We already know that you've made your mind up about him and pretty much refuse to ever give him any credit whether he scores, assists or not, so your post hasn't come as a complete surprise. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This. Lots of fancy skills, too many touches, and then lost the ball every time. He was crap

Yeah I thought he was OK, but certainly not great. He made some decent runs but his pass completion was in the mid 70s, by far the lowest of any of our players (excluding Bertie who was only on for around 10 minutes.

One thing I'll say, he looks miles better on the left than he does on the right. Just seems more confident and willing to try things, without having to take an extra touch and cut inside all the time. There was one bit when towards the end of the 90 minutes when he took about four defenders on. It came to nothing, but in that time he'd dragged their entire defence out of position.

Edited by Risso
Spolling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Nobody was really more than OK - it was a tough game against a very defensive side. I wouldn't say there was an outstanding candidate but it's not fanciful to suggest Bailey. 

We already know that you've made your mind up about him and pretty much refuse to ever give him any credit whether he scores, assists or not, so your post hasn't come as a complete surprise. 

On the other hand - you seem to read into his game a lot more than many ? I guess at the end of the day it boils down to opinions

For me Bailey has been very poor overall in his time at the club - I have nothing against the guy - I just don’t rate him, anywhere nearly as highly as you do, and he still has a way to go, before I can say to you, that his time here can be qualified as a success?

Surely even you would have to admit this, if for instance he left the club today ?

I see things in other players that appeal to me a lot more - as I said it’s all about opinions 👍🏻

Â