Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

11 minutes ago, allani said:

I don't entirely agree with the view that the first bit.  I do agree that maybe some of the players - like many fans - got a bit ahead of themselves and saw a potential fight for the title.  Whereas anything above 7th should still be seen as progress for a team / squad that is still a work in progress.

I do think that we are really missing Pau and Digne who were both excellent during our long spell of terrific form.  We're just not getting the same quality of passes out of our back line and it's hampered our ability to make things happen.  It's also meant that Luiz hasn't quite had as much time and space because our opponents don't need to be as worried about Lenglet pinging a defence splitting ball past them.  Nothing has changed in that if we want to compete at the top then we need all our key players fit and on form.  Ramsey is also a loss in terms of adding that more dynamic thrust from midfield.

We did some good stuff yesterday (maybe not as much as we could / should) and had a couple of decent opportunities to take the lead.  They had a couple of big slices of good fortune at key moments (which you could easily argue they earned by being a bit more assertive around the box).  Not that long ago we probably benefitted from a those kind of breaks ourselves.  

I'm confident that as long as we don't panic and continue doing what we are good at then we'll hit our groove again.  I've always been looking more at the gap to 6th than the gap to 1st and we're still in an excellent position at this stage of the season.  It's been a long time since I've been as excited by the football we are playing as I have throughout 2023 - even yesterday it felt like we knew what we were trying to do but it just wasn't quite happening.  For several years I've felt like we didn't really have a plan that everyone was behind.  We need to not panic, continue to trust in the system / in Emery and not get on everyone's backs about losing our first league match at home in a year.

I don't think missing players, is quite the issue being forwarded.....The whole team, is not applying itself.

Newcastle showed last night, that players missing through injury, is just a cop out.....Their players was clearly up for it, and we wasn't.

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

May have produced the highlight of the season with that turn. Newcastle defender is still looking for his ankles. 

The other highlight was that outside of the boot through ball. Unbelievable pass!

Do we now say that he is our most talented attacker. And then say we have 17 months left on his contract ? 

Theres going to be some big big clubs taking an interest if he keeps fit and in form because he is playing as well as any right sided left footed attacker in the league for the last 3 months. 

It's not too long ago when 90% of us had given up on him. 

And now 90% of us would have him as the first or second name on the teamsheet.

That contract needs looking at but if there are any doubts about the sustainability of his recent form then the club have a real challenge on their hands. He's going to want to be the highest paid player and assurances. He'll forget the 2 years we've paid him whilst he's been injured and out of form, but will Villa?

GlaSs half full version is we sign him to a new 4 year deal, and he avoids injury,  carries on as he is, and gets his Champions League dreams here at Villa. 

Half empty and i could see him holding out, then wanting a transfer (led by his agent) if we don't qualify for the CL.

• Thanks 1

We need to move someome on in these attacking positions over the summer. On current form you wouldn't want it to be Leon, but wouldn't surprise me. Think the club could do alright in the market and Diaby will come good... 

2 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

If he had a problem with his back why bring him on at 3-0 when the game is dead?

Seems similar to the Pau situation and our general approach with injuries. We seem to be under estimating the severity of injuries or overestimating the recovery. Resulting in us playing injured players. Lots of examples of this recently. 

Looks like we got lucky this time as Bailey didn't seem to aggravate it at least. 

Hopefully he's fully fit for the weekend as we'll need him based on our previous showing against Sheffield. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrBlack said:

That contract needs looking at but if there are any doubts about the sustainability of his recent form then the club have a real challenge on their hands. He's going to want to be the highest paid player and assurances. He'll forget the 2 years we've paid him whilst he's been injured and out of form, but will Villa?

GlaSs half full version is we sign him to a new 4 year deal, and he avoids injury,  carries on as he is, and gets his Champions League dreams here at Villa. 

Half empty and i could see him holding out, then wanting a transfer (led by his agent) if we don't qualify for the CL.

It will be an interesting decision.

Ultimately he's a player with good CL experience with Leverkusen. If we make it you want to keep those sorts around as would be a bit odd if we get a few injuries and we're starting young lads like Tim and Kesler for CL matches.

One year left though so you're probably looking at 40m so not a huge increase on what we signed him for and his productivity since Emery came in.

Perhaps there's a year's option in the deal we will activate at some point (Man. United do that a fair bit) but you'd think we'd have already reached out to Craig Butler although he seems to have gone a bit quiet recently.

18 hours ago, MrBlack said:

It's right on the cusp.

He's been outstanding for about three months. And poor for the rest of his time here. Currently, he's not been a success of a signing.

Club needs to weigh up whether they think this is the new Bailey, or a run of good form that will disappear.

I think we'll sell him if we get offered £40m. Probably £50m if it's another PL side.

Edited by Tomaszk

He's POTS so far, he's so impactful and the impact is of such a high standard. I do feel though some of why he's playing so well is how his workload is managed. He can play to his max intensity. 

18 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Feel like he’s worked hard to go to his right too, really is putting his marker on his heels when he can go the right and put in a delivery. 

19 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Should have had at least 2 assists if not more. Matty Cash caught on his heels twice just not on the same wavelength as him. Ollie should do better with the first through ball.

Â