Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Seeing as we’re talking a lot about selling players lately, could Bailey be a candidate in the Summer? Not long left on the contract, wants really high wages having not done a whole load to deserve them (half a season at best) and could probably fetch decent value - £30-50m id say.

I like the new Bailey, I find him pleasantly surprising, but if it’s between him, Luiz, Kamara or whoever else we rate, who would you pick? 

Just throwing out there in typical Delphinho fashion. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Seeing as we’re talking a lot about selling players lately, could Bailey be a candidate in the Summer? Not long left on the contract, wants really high wages having not done a whole load to deserve them (half a season at best) and could probably fetch decent value - £30-50m id say.

I like the new Bailey, I find him pleasantly surprising, but if it’s between him, Luiz, Kamara or whoever else we rate, who would you pick? 

I really like him but I’d be open to selling him over some of the others. 

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I was saying he is a player who has his price. It would be a big price as he's having an incredible season and we are in general short of attacking players. It#s always a risk trying to replace

13 hours ago, Villa Gaffa said:

I think he will be our man of the match against Newcastle !

I still wouldn't be surprised if he is despite starting on the bench. Not sure why Diaby is being given the spot over him. Strange one from Unai but the man knows....

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I still wouldn't be surprised if he is despite starting on the bench. Not sure why Diaby is being given the spot over him. Strange one from Unai but the man knows....

And he is. If he's not injured then Emery needs to explain why he didn't start him. Madness decision.

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Bailey is currently Villa's form player, why was he on the bench?

Weird decision considering Diaby is a bit rubbish...

I was chatting with @TRO recently about how Gordon and Almiron have an annoying habit of making things happen and trying to impose themselves on matches even when the match is going badly or they are not playing very well.  Diaby just seems hyper passive - he's always waiting for things to happen and then doesn't currently have the confidence to take advantage.  There were a couple of early chances today when Ollie would have hit a shot and seen what happened - Diaby didn't look like he wanted to shoot and instead tried to thread a pass through three players. 

Bailey came on and immediately wanted to make things happen.  It gave everyone a boost - it gave Ollie a bit of a kick up the arse too.  Diaby needs to watch what Bailey did today and take that energy into his own game.  Bailey (admittedly knowing he only had 30 minutes or so) was constantly trying to make space and make the defenders worry about what space he was going to attack and where he was going to run.  This immediately gave our midfielders a potential target and an option to look for.  Ollie suddenly sensed there was more space for him to exploit to and started making better runs too.

It's not always about the supply not being good - it's sometimes about being more assertive, active and determined to try and make a chance for yourself rather than waiting for a great ball or even sometimes just annoy the hell out of the opposition defenders.  Hopefully, someone shows our other forward players how Bailey's attitude created chances that he (and they) could then exploit.  If you're struggling with supply then you can't just sit back and be passive about waiting for it to eventually come.  Sometimes you need to do more to try and create the supply.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Weird decision considering Diaby is a bit rubbish

I’d say out of form but not rubbish and not worthy of a starting place at this moment either, but I do believe he will return to form soon. 
Also I would add that he is getting off rather lightly when you consider some of the abuse that NZ is getting and there ain’t an awful lot between them currently - and no I don’t want an upsurge of negative comments about him.

• Like 1

The problem is, he rarely puts those performances in when he starts. He’s always great off the bench but often invisible when he gets the chance to start. Having said that, he has to start our next match. Diaby and Zaniolo are miles off it at the moment.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I’d say out of form but not rubbish and not worthy of a starting place at this moment either, but I do believe he will return to form soon. 
Also I would add that he is getting off rather lightly when you consider some of the abuse that NZ is getting and there ain’t an awful lot between them currently - and no I don’t want an upsurge of negative comments about him.

Agree.  You can see that he could be an absolute nightmare to play against when we are playing well and he is confident in himself.  But he needs to also gain some of that Gordon attitude.  If it isn't working don't go into your shell.  Go out and do something even more extravagent or just do something to pi55 off the defender(s) and opposition fans around you and / or fire up our fans.

Was staggered when I saw him left out tonight. I assumed he was rested at Chelsea to get him 100% for this.

He's arguably been our best player at Villa Park in the whole of 2023. Look at the brilliant performances he put in v Man. City and Arsenal less than two months ago. Also scored v Burnley and robbed of a goal v Sheffield United.

He should not be left on the bench for any remaining home game in any competition unless he's carrying an injury.

Probably Emery's worse selection call since he came here. To not even bring him on at half time when the game was still salvageable wasn't a great call by the manager either.

Â