Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Last week I asked, "Where is Leon Bailey?" Maybe we just need to keep asking that. 😁 

Am I the kind of supporter who thought it was time to sell him last week, and now feel like we need to cherish him? I fully embrace my hypocrisy, and if the goals for Villa keep coming, I'll walk around with a smashed tomato on my head, too.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

A typical Bailey performance. Sun shining, nice home fixture against a very poor side and we’re on top throughout. He’s a flat track bully. I’m more than happy that he’s put in a good performance but until I see these performances for 90 minutes away from home, I can’t get excited.

We’ve been here before. A good performance followed by 8 bad ones. 

Maybe, just maybe he can kick on but I doubt it. 

Could be. Understand the doubt, 100% A sustained run of positive form would change my perception, and we may end up, as fans, having to "hurry up and wait" to see if that happens. I don't think any fan could be fairly asked to rid themselves of all doubts, that's for sure.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

15 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Could be. Understand the doubt, 100% A sustained run of positive form would change my perception, and we may end up, as fans, having to "hurry up and wait" to see if that happens. I don't think any fan could be fairly asked to rid themselves of all doubts, that's for sure.

Absolutely this - this was not a great performance by any means. Yes an upgrade on last week, but miles off convincing and still much to do imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

A typical Bailey performance. Sun shining, nice home fixture against a very poor side and we’re on top throughout. He’s a flat track bully. I’m more than happy that he’s put in a good performance but until I see these performances for 90 minutes away from home, I can’t get excited.

We’ve been here before. A good performance followed by 8 bad ones. 

Maybe, just maybe he can kick on but I doubt it. 

I know it was 4-0 win but you must have a scapegoat surely?

• Haha 2

Early on in the game he was dribbling and tripped over under no pressure and I thought "oh dear it's going to be another one of those games for him" But after that he was really good. Mainly kept it simple but a lovely bit of play for the assist getting past Young on the outside and cutting it back for McGinn. Took his goal well too on his weaker foot megging Pickford.

Hopefully he's not injured now considering he went off. I saw him smiling on the bench though so hopefully he's alright.

Much improved performance and signs he can be a useful player for us. 

• Like 2

Better today. After a good break early on, he cut it back really tamely when he could have shot or passed into the area, but after that he had a good, positive effect on the game. Until he got his usual injury, obviously, which as much as his erratic form will probably do for him in the long run at Villa.

Was a curious performance from him I thought. He was almost comically bad at the start (I mean, he literally fell over himself at one point). Then after a few fluffed interchanges with Diaby his confidence started to grow and he became a significant part of our attacking play. Really glad that he managed that today, hopefully he can now build on that.

I'm still a bit unsure he's fully up to speed confidence-wise though. Several times the ball was played to him and he refused to shoot, always preferring to cut back. A bit like Jack used to do, but obviously to slightly less effect. If he could just get his confidence to shoot back it would be amazing. Maybe today's goal will be the start of that process.

• Like 2

I’ve been supportive of him until the Newcastle game. Today doesn’t change much for me. I’m of course thrilled over the three points and very happy for him, hopefully he can build on this and gain confidence.

If you take a closer look his assist and goal, it’s Bailey in a nutshell. For the assist, his first action to go past the defender was good, but then he doesn’t look up, but cuts it back blindly. Good that McGinn was there, but it was lucky and could as well have been that someone else was in a better goal scoring position.

At the goal he has a free shot on the whole goal and he smashed it straight at the keeper. Luckily it went through Pickford’s legs. If it was intentional to shoot straight at the keeper from that distance and position, it was the wrong decision, albeit came good because of luck.

This is one problem with Bailey, he is a bit of a headless chicken. Sometimes it comes out good, but it’s mostly hit and miss.

Hopefully he kicks on from this and improves, but it takes some more for me to get convinced that he can do that.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I’ve been supportive of him until the Newcastle game. Today doesn’t change much for me. I’m of course thrilled over the three points and very happy for him, hopefully he can build on this and gain confidence.

If you take a closer look his assist and goal, it’s Bailey in a nutshell. For the assist, his first action to go past the defender was good, but then he doesn’t look up, but cuts it back blindly. Good that McGinn was there, but it was lucky and could as well have been that someone else was in a better goal scoring position.

At the goal he has a free shot on the whole goal and he smashed it straight at the keeper. Luckily it went through Pickford’s legs. If it was intentional to shoot straight at the keeper from that distance and position, it was the wrong decision, albeit came good because of luck.

This is one problem with Bailey, he is a bit of a headless chicken. Sometimes it comes out good, but it’s mostly hit and miss.

Hopefully he kicks on from this and improves, but it takes some more for me to get convinced that he can do that.

He doesn’t need to look up for the assist. A training ground move 9/10. McGinn will know the two or three areas he will cut it back to. 

Some people have posted about him no longer having the pace that he once had at Leverkusen following some injury or other. (Exactly which injury I'd still like to know!) But at least he still has quick feet! Sky Sports in their match report have referred to him as the "fleet-footed" winger. He is good at suddenly 'dancing' past a defender along the edge of the box to the bye-line in order to put in a cross.

Edited by robby b

Â