Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

From a Jamaica perspective.

Not sure I like the timing of the news break that he's " up for sale .

We've got a massive semi final in Gold Cup against Mexico tomorrow and don't want it affecting his head space.

Unless it could have the effect on him being extra amped up to prove something or showcase himself? Who knows.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

This is probably an unpopular view given the weight of criticism that is directed at Bailey, but I like Leon and see a lot of goal scoring potential in him if we signed Diaby to provide the type of service he needs.

Buying Diaby and selling Bailey would not make a lot of sense given their almost telepathic connection on the pitch for Bayer Leverkusen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The £100m sale of Grealish should have set us up as a club but we largely wasted it all. 

No wonder we have had a backroom clear out since then. 

The biggest waste of finances was employing SG and his huge backroom staff. Then having to pay them all off for the atrocious “job” they did…

Thanks a bunch CP and good riddance.

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Believing it less and less now… but why mention it?

Why sell Bailey if this is the guy to “unleash” or unlock him?

Because Diaby isn't being bought to help Bailey, he's being bought to replace him. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Because Diaby isn't being bought to help Bailey, he's being bought to replace him. 

Maybe, maybe not. Diaby will go straight into the team, don’t think Bailey will be a first choice anyway but we need a squad. 

If we sell him, we’ll need to bring in another player - regardless of whether Diaby joins or not.

They’re not identical sorts of players, as many seem to be assuming. If they were, they wouldn’t have played together in the same team…

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Maybe, maybe not. Diaby will go straight into the team, don’t think Bailey will be a first choice anyway but we need a squad. 

If we sell him, we’ll need to bring in another player - regardless of whether Diaby joins or not.

They’re not identical sorts of players, as many seem to be assuming. If they were, they wouldn’t have played together in the same team…

That graphic has absolutely no relation to the comment added above it. Diaby is better than Bailey in every metric on that graph.  How does that tell you they're not the same type of player? 

Your comment is right that they played in the same team together, so that's the really important factor

Also, it would be better to compare Bailey's last season in Germany than his previous season at villa. Those stats are pretty meaningless when you compare the respective abilities of the league they're in, before you even bring in the quality of the team they played for, the style that team played, and countless other factors.

All that said, sign Diaby please villa. 

Edited by MrBlack

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

That graphic has absolutely no relation to the comment added above it. Diaby is better than Bailey in every metric on that graph.  How does that tell you they're not the same type of player? 

Your comment is right that they played in the same team together, so that's the really important factor

Also, it would be better to compare Bailey's last season in Germany than his previous season at villa. Those stats are pretty meaningless when you compare the respective abilities of the league they're in, before you even bring in the quality of the team they played for, the style that team played, and countless other factors.

All that said, sign Diaby please villa. 

I didn’t say it did, just put it up there as additional info. And I realise Neil was more trying to point out that Diaby is the superior player, but he did also say they are different types. They have different styles and can play in different roles/positions.

Diaby (if he’s signed) will go into the first team though, Bailey will have to accept a place on the bench (maybe he won’t and will want to leave because of that) for the most part but they can play in the same team and in different positions.

I shared a couple of vids earlier of the two of them too.

What I did say was that they played well together in the same team so it’s not necessarily a direct replacement.

I agree on the stats, it can be irrelevant and Bailey’s would probably have been very similar while he was playing in Germany. Can’t rely on stats and they have little relevance without context. But they do give you a guide and can be useful…

Diaby’s stats could look very different in the PL, it’s not easy to translate form over to a different league.

Edited by Jas10

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I didn’t say it did, just put it up there as additional info. And I realise Neil was more trying to point out that Diaby is the superior player, but he did also say they are different types. They have different styles and can play in different roles/positions.

Diaby (if he’s signed) will go into the first team though, Bailey will have to accept a place on the bench (maybe he won’t and will want to leave because of that) for the most part but they can play in the same team and in different positions.

I shared a couple of vids earlier of the two of them too.

What I did say was that they played well together in the same team so it’s not necessarily a direct replacement.

I agree on the stats, it can be irrelevant and Bailey’s would probably have been very similar while he was playing in Germany. Can’t rely on stats and they have little relevance without context. But they do give you a guide and can be useful…

Diaby’s stats could look very different in the PL, it’s not easy to translate form over to a different league.

Yeah, I wasn't  claiming you did say it did, just more reflecting my annoyance at the op from twitter. Some real garbage gets posted there and the love of McGrath podcast is usually better that that

The rest of your post is basically an expansion of what I said. Agreeing twice in 24 hours ;).

I should add, i do normally agree with your posts,  last nights exchange was more just me being over worked and miserable so sorry for the ranty exchange! 🫣

15 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Yeah, I wasn't  claiming you did say it did, just more reflecting my annoyance at the op from twitter. Some real garbage gets posted there and the love of McGrath podcast is usually better that that

The rest of your post is basically an expansion of what I said. Agreeing twice in 24 hours ;).

I should add, i do normally agree with your posts,  last nights exchange was more just me being over worked and miserable so sorry for the ranty exchange! 🫣

No worries at all mate and not even half as bad as you make out. 👍 Wasn’t a problem, just had to explain myself.

If you listen to Neil on a couple of podcasts, he explains how they’re different. E.g. Diaby has a more rounded game.

It’s so easy to misinterpret text, hard to get the actual expression and complete meaning across and misunderstandings are commonplace. We often take each other too seriously and literally, it’s good to chill out n have a laugh too…

Not everything in single post has to be directly related or relevant either. I alway share what comes up on my Twitter feed too…

All the best and UTV! Unai’s claret & blue army!

For once, we can just do this, content in the knowledge that we have a top class manager who knows exactly what he’s doing and great bunch of players:

spacer.png

P.S. I’d prefer Bailey wasn’t sold but if that’s what Unai’s wants… then it’s fine by me…

Edited by Jas10

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

He should do the comparison with Bailey from his final season at Leverkusen. Bailey had mega stats

Â