Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Great set up for our first, it was almost a carbon copy of the set up for Dougie in the Bournemouth match.

I think he did well today, and that he can be happy with that after a spell out.

• Like 1

I think his Villa experience has probably been humbling for him. Came in with big hype, scored a screamer on his debut, but then just failed to launch. He needs a new club and maybe a new league, but definitely a fresh start, and he's still young so he can rebound from this. I hope he has success.

35 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I'm astonished at that. It was a good game but only judged against his pretty low usual standards.

I think it was more the case that he was effective in the limited touches he had instead of covering the whole pitch like McGinn who was my MOTM. 

But for wingers, being effective every time you touch the ball can rate highly. 

Guy takes some stick on here and other forums but he showed yesterday there is a PL player in there and why I don't think it's a bad idea to keep him around next season even as a squad player. If he can find some consistency he can fight for a first team place, but it's been a frustrating year watching him because I really felt he might tear up the league this season and sadly he hasn't.

• Like 2

Got to the byline and crossed with his right foot, first time I have seen him do this in I don't know how long. Good game from him, kept it simple and got the rewards. If he can build on this then he can be a big asset to us. 

So that brings him up to 8 goal contributions in around 20 games' worth of minutes. That's not bad, really. It's not particularly good either but at 25 with a good attitude and Emery as his coach, there's definitely room to grow. I still have concerns that he's not got the strength or low centre of gravity required to play the possession retention-heavy style that we're after, but the assist was a good showcase of what he can do. 

On 13/05/2023 at 17:18, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

When he's decent... we just leave the thread alone.... lol

Thought he did ok overall, and quite well at times.

Also bagged the good assist.

Kept it simple for the most part, and showed good feet and movement sometimes.

Still goes down too easy on occasion.

My argument has never been that he's been great, or not very poor at times.

My gripe has been the notion that he is so bad and useless that he shouldn't even be in the squad.

Was taken off at the right time, and i'm glad he was, because frustrations in that game sequence, would have inevitably turned towards him.

I singled him out for praise in the ratings and reaction thread. There's no doubting his ability, hence, Emery starting him against Spurs. 

4 goals and 3 assists at home this season and only 1 assist away. 

Don’t expect to see him start at Liverpool but hope everyone is encouraging him if his name pops up on the team sheet against Brighton. 

Â