Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

To be honest that is no benchmark whatsoever. For the most time, Bailey has been very poor for us and I’m not expecting the rebirth of Leon Bailey based on one game - I will be delighted if so, but I expect him to remain consistently inconsistent 

I think he’s the best and most consistent forward. 
I also think he’s better when played on the left side.

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

His goal was superb and carried a threat to Leeds all night, he has pace and trickery which can terrify defenders. I’m really pleased he scored and want him to do well. Also his shot that ended up being an assist for Emi2 was good. 

We can still be frustrated with his decision making though. All too often he’s running into blind alleys when he should have released the ball earlier, granted there might not always be a Villa player showing in space, but he does lose the ball an awful lot. It’s infuriating to watch. 

Let’s hope his goal gives him some extra confidence and he can string a few performances together now. 

I agree but hopefully under Unai his decision making will improve. It’s great to have a team of coaches that can improve players instead of coaching all the good out of them. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I personally was surprised he started after the last two performances. 

Unai knows best.

Mixed bag from him but his directness made the difference. 

He has it in him for sure, just needs to make better decisions at times. 

I wasn't surprised to see him start - his reputation, abilitlity and our investment in him means that we should have a bit of faith in him. 

He badly needed a goal and good performance, though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I wasn't surprised to see him start - his reputation, abilitlity and our investment in him means that we should have a bit of faith in him. 

He badly needed a goal and good performance, though. 

Perhaps you are right but you could say the same for Ings who I thought may start in his place.

Anyway, pleased for him. Would love him to find some consistency.

Goes back and forth between being prime Ashley Young and dogshit N'Zogbia with every touch of the ball.  His one footedness is really being exposed right now, but luckily Leeds' mid-table Championship defense kept letting him cut inside onto his left over and over again tonight.  Even with his limitations, if he can just pick his head up every once in a while and pass to a teammate before dribbling down blind alleys, he'll still be a threat in the Premier League from the bench/rotation.  Just can't be expected to lead the line week in and week out or we'll continue to have problems creating goals.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Perhaps you are right but you could say the same for Ings who I thought may start in his place.

Anyway, pleased for him. Would love him to find some consistency.

Horses for courses there. Ings is clearly, in my mind at least, a very useful impact sub to bring on against tired players but he's not got the speed or physicality for a full 90. Especially with what we need from our forwards. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Goes back and forth between being prime Ashley Young and dogshit N'Zogbia with every touch of the ball.  His one footedness is really being exposed right now, but luckily Leeds' mid-table Championship defense kept letting him cut inside onto his left over and over again tonight.  Even with his limitations, if he can just pick his head up every once in a while and pass to a teammate before dribbling down blind alleys, he'll still be a threat in the Premier League from the bench/rotation.  Just can't be expected to lead the line week in and week out or we'll continue to have problems creating goals.  

I think he showed he can use his right foot well when he went down outside of defenders and cut ball back or put across the box. He needs to keep that up, if a defender wants to stop him cutting in on his left foot to get a shot away they're "showing" him down the other side, he needs to use his pace and dart down the line and into the box to get the cut back or drill it low across the 6 yard box. He can even get ahead of the defender who now can't tackle him from behind as he's in box ahead of him. This is what he needs to do, more of what he has shown last night. 

Yes he'll lose possession more than other players because he's under instructions from Emery to carry the ball forward himself, if he beats a man doing that we've opened up space there will be Watkins running to drag defenders out of place and Moreno tearing in from the left and JJ probably coming too. This is what Emery wants. 

• Thanks 1

Also Bailey has 3 goals and 1 assist from his last 7 PL starts. That's a rate over 38 game season of 16 goals and 6 assists. So double figure goal contributions and we've had tough games in there, Newcastle, United, Brighton, Liverpool, Spurs. 

He's also scored 4 goals from 3.06 xG so he's taking his chances overall too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he could improve his decision making and in particular learn when to release the ball he'd be unreal.

At the moment he wants to beat his man(and anyone else within 5 yards) until he is clear through, but he always ALWAYS gets himself enough space to pass or cross and normally just chooses not to or doesn't get his head up.

I'm not sure how much this can be coached, we've seen it with so many players (wingers in particular) where they have all the attributes but they just don't know when to release it and they never really get better, hopefully unai can unlock the player that's in there.

Obviously biased, but I like the boy and want him to do well.

He appears to he the " needs an arm around him " type.

He will be frustrating at times though. Even yesterday when he looked sharp, there were points where he would beat two or 3 men, only thing left to do was release the ball, then he'd try to beat the man again and lose it 🤦🏿‍♂️

Happy to see he had his finishing boots back though, as I noted, if nothing els ehis finishing is one of his strong points, the horrendous chances he was missing indicates something was very off 

Misses the simplest ones and buries the difficult ones.

As some others have commented, if he was consistently at his best, he probably wouldn't be here.

If we can somehow get him playing towards his peak for a majority of the time he can be some player.

I trust Emery to manage him right.

When he signed, Butler did plead with the fans to " support him " as he's a good kid and needs it etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Obviously biased, but I like the boy and want him to do well.

He appears to he the " needs an arm around him " type.

He will be frustrating at times though. Even yesterday when he looked sharp, there were points where he would beat two or 3 men, only thing left to do was release the ball, then he'd try to beat the man again and lose it 🤦🏿‍♂️

Happy to see he had his finishing boots back though, as I noted, if nothing els ehis finishing is one of his strong points, the horrendous chances he was missing indicates something was very off 

Misses the simplest ones and buries the difficult ones.

As some others have commented, if he was consistently at his best, he probably wouldn't be here.

If we can somehow get him playing towards his peak for a majority of the time he can be some player.

I trust Emery to manage him right.

When he signed, Butler did plead with the fans to " support him " as he's a good kid and needs it etc.

Was about to post taking 3 players on and a simple pass would have resulted in us being through but he tried taking another man on but 30 seconds later we scored because of his good play. 

The more he simplifies his game the deadlier he’ll become . 

• Like 3

Out most likely scorer at the moment, and our most creative player.... If only he released the ball earlier more often.

Looks like we will have to put up with the good and the bad with Leon... On the body of evidence so far he's gonna end up a useful asset in attack.

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

He's raw but he's got huge potential. If he reaches it he will become one of the best players in the PL IMO

I think he can be used much better on the left side. Hopefully he starts there next games. Especially with Ings.

• Like 2

Â