The 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics

sne

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Calling it off 3 days before it starts would be a colossal balls up. A balls up of a level that in times gone past would have Japanese officials gutting themselves.

Starts early tomorrow even. 02.00 tonight is the first game

7 hours ago, hogso said:

There appear to be some genuine examples of actual super human feats which weren't performed by alleged, but never proven, drug cheats - Stefka Kostadinova who has held the women's high jump record for 34 years is a good example, perhaps. 

The Men's High Jump record has stood since 1993 too (2.43). Now Sotormyor is a proven drug cheat (Cocaine and anabolic steroids)

The British Men's High Jump Record is still 2.35 by my mate Steve Smith set in 1995 (not a drug cheat btw). Even by today's current standards, that would be the 4th best jump in the world this year. Highest 2.37

But it is just an odd sport where the peak of human achievement appears to have been reached (albeit aided by drugs, possibly)

Wiping the records would just give someone else the honour for a long long time after only a few months. Only 12 people have ever jumped 2.40 only 5 have gone over 2.41

1 hour ago, sne said:

Hope everyone is watching the game between Sweden (playing in high visibility yellow) and the US in the women's football.

Slaughter!!!!

• Like 1

USA has conceded 8 goals in the last 31 games, including this one. Sweden has scored 7 of them 🤨

Edited by Tegis
clarify
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

Slaughter!!!!

So much for their 44 games unbeaten run :D 

And as is customary this will instantly lead to people claiming they should win the Bragdguldet. After 1 game.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have never been less interested in an Olympics. 

Same here, had the same feeling about the Euro's as well. And the Olympics will be with no fans as well. The Euro's at least had some fans, even thou that probably turned out to be a mistake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I have never been less interested in an Olympics. 

I usually really like it and look forward to watching it but I can't be bothered with it this time around.

The Olympics really does need a crowd watching it and I don't agree with them holding it with Covid etc.  Its too big with too many people and places.  It really does look like a desperate money grab.

The sponsors is interesting,  you can sponsor something and expect X amount of people to see it at a normal Olympics,  I wonder if the viewing figures wil be 50 % less for example this time around.  

Team GB wimmins’s football can do one. Silly dangerous game to play having a football team GB, should’ve just left it as all english players if they wanted to take part that badly.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Team GB wimmins’s football can do one. Silly dangerous game to play having a football team GB, should’ve just left it as all english players if they wanted to take part that badly.

Why?

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why?

It risks the future of the four national teams.

On a petty level, it would always be swamped by england due to the overwhelming size of england, already today ITV news and The Guardian have both

been accidentally referring to the team as england, which is understandable as its all they’re geared up to respond to.

But there are plenty of national football federations see those four places and those four votes and they can see that if four became one there would be more room for others. Slippery slope that it’s just not worth standing at the top of.

spacer.png

Plus of course, on a more mundane level, when we have the Euros and the World Cup, what function is Olympic football fulfilling?

The Olympics rate it so lowly, they stick it on before the games have even officially started. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It risks the future of the four national teams.

On a petty level, it would always be swamped by england due to the overwhelming size of england, already today ITV news and The Guardian have both

been accidentally referring to the team as england, which is understandable as its all they’re geared up to respond to.

But there are plenty of national football federations see those four places and those four votes and they can see that if four became one there would be more room for others. Slippery slope that it’s just not worth standing at the top of.

spacer.png

Plus of course, on a more mundane level, when we have the Euros and the World Cup, what function is Olympic football fulfilling?

The Olympics rate it so lowly, they stick it on before the games have even officially started. 

I agree about the importance of football at the Olympics, it does seem a waste. 

But personally I don’t see a problem with merging the teams for the Olympics, it’s happened before without issue. The Olympics are a completely separate entity than FAs and I can’t see them amalgamating.

Â