The 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics

sne

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I agree about the importance of football at the Olympics, it does seem a waste. 

But personally I don’t see a problem with merging the teams for the Olympics, it’s happened before without issue. The Olympics are a completely separate entity than FAs and I can’t see them amalgamating.

ConservativeHome

the news editor at ConservativeHome, said that in order to save the UK, the population would require the “unifying rituals” of supporting a British national team.

He also called for the UK Government to use its new post-Brexit powers to overrule Welsh and Scottish devolution in order to fund a football Team GB directly.

it now has the tools to do this. Section 50 of the UK Internal Market Act, which gives the Government new powers to spend extra money in areas of devolved competence, explicitly lists ‘activities, projects and events relating to sport’

He also called for a united British Super League to replace the separate Welsh, Scottish and English premier leagues.

“This would fit well with other measures reportedly being considered by the Government, such as trying to create a ‘British Super League’ by allowing top-flight Scottish teams to join their Welsh counterparts in the Premier League and the FA Cup,” 

Given that Johnson **** up everything that crosses his desk, given his two faced lies on the break away European super league, and given that the UK currently has such a great relationship with Europe, I’m glad you don’t see a problem.

As if extreme heat and 70% humidity wasn't enough now there is a typhoon heading the way of Tokyo..

In other news there is strong rumors that Naomi Osaka might be the one to light the Olympic fire or at least have a prominent part during the opening ceremony since her game has been re-scheduled.

Edited by sne

2 hours ago, sne said:

As if extreme heat and 70% humidity wasn't enough now there is a typhoon heading the way of Tokyo..

In other news there is strong rumors that might be the one to light the Olympic fire or at least have a prominent part during the opening ceremony since here game has been re-scheduled.

Didn't the same happen at the rugby World Cup? 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't the same happen at the rugby World Cup? 

Yes. Maybe one day international sporting bodies will cotton on to the fact that Korea and Japan actually have quite unreliable weather in high summer with occasional typhoons and flash floods and so on. Good weather in East Asia is spring and autumn, not mid-summer.

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Qatar 2022 confirms that sporting bodies don't give a single **** about the weather

To be fair to FIFA, after some unknown organisation took a bunch of backhanders to hold the World Cup in Qatar, FIFA stepped in and moved it from summer, to winter when the temperatures will be fine. So that’s all right then. 

• Like 1

Should have just kept everyone safe at home and instead had a proxy-Olympics contested by robots.  I mean if any country could have pulled that off, it would be Japan.  I'd watch the hell out of the Robolympics.

14 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Should have just kept everyone safe at home and instead had a proxy-Olympics contested by robots.  I mean if any country could have pulled that off, it would be Japan.  I'd watch the hell out of the Robolympics.

3623630477_4c63af54f9_b.0.0.jpg

Japanese entrant for the high jump.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

To be fair to FIFA, after some unknown organisation took a bunch of backhanders to hold the World Cup in Qatar, FIFA stepped in and moved it from summer, to winter when the temperatures will be fine. So that’s all right then. 

Still makes me laugh. 

Surely when a country wants to host the World Cup the first question should be “can footballers physically play football without dying in your country at the time the World Cup will take place?”

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Isn't everything streamed on the interweb and iplayer now?

yeah i imagine iplayer will have highlights, i wondered about the full event though

Â