The 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics

sne

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

does anyone know if you can watch the full events without having to get up at 2am? not little highlights but the whole things? bbc is not clear

I've been watching full football matches on the iPlayer, and those weren't live. I go to 'categories', then 'sport', and they're listed there. Dunno if that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BBC running through all the gossip and tittle-tattle this morning talking about all the people who’d resigned for various misdeeds, calling it the most controversial Olympics ever.
Like 1936 never even happened. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, choffer said:

BBC running through all the gossip and tittle-tattle this morning talking about all the people who’d resigned for various misdeeds, calling it the most controversial Olympics ever.
Like 1936 never even happened. 

How about the 72 shooting, the 76 which made Montreal bankrupt, the boycotts of the 80s, Ben Johnson at Seoul, Atlanta bombing,  and Athens and Rio being comically mismanaged?

Probably in the last 40 years  the only 'good' games were Barcelona and London.

• Like 2

Just now, sne said:

And still every game is always branded as the best one ever by the Olympic president, and so will this one.

They have to say that. But everybody knows it was and will always be Lillehammer 1994. 

8 minutes ago, El Zen said:

They have to say that. But everybody knows it was and will always be Lillehammer 1994. 

Yeah that was a fun one 👍

• Thanks 1

The highlight of the opening ceremony being the music choices for the walkout is pretty damning.

The entire event is going to be hamstrung by the timezone and the lack of coverage on the BBC (due to licensing...). One of the great things about the Olympics usually is randomly watching some obscure sport you'd normally never watch, but you can't really do that this time.

Plus the entire thing is overshadowed by Covid so has a slightly dour tone...

Was enjoying the morning of Olympic sport, with the cycling, gymnastics and hockey on BBC1 but had to switch off the GB football and watch the swimming instead. 

gutted for the athletes having no crowds. 

• Like 1

I dunno if it's just my having hated playing it at school, but I despise hockey. It's bloody awful to watch - the balls too small and the game too crowded, so you can't follow things particularly well.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I dunno if it's just my having hated playing it at school, but I despise hockey. It's bloody awful to watch - the balls too small and the game too crowded, so you can't follow things particularly well.

I loved playing hockey, mainly cos my school had some incredible hockey players in the team and then basically a back 3 of which I was 1 and a goalkeeper from the football team, sometimes we had a lad who played u16 for Wales in goal and he was a nutter, 2 x England u16 players, it was brilliant watching them play and we beat everyone 

Watching today, Hollands men scored an incredible goal, what you don't see much at school level apart from the really good players are safe and foul free chipped passes and shots and that goal had a chipped pass, a great lifting of the ball to beat a defender and then he lifted it in to the roof of the net, really skillful goal 

• Like 1

Field hockey is just so odd to me. It's like a mix of they similar sports we have in Sweden in Ice Hockey, Bandy and Floorball but then it throws in some rules about only using one side of the stick, the ball not going in the air  and what not. Looks like it would have been great fun if they changed the rules a bit.

The ball is allowed to go in the air just has to be done in a safe manner, when you're at school the safety plus then also the skill involved means it doesn't happen a lot, at this level you'll see some really high quality in the air over the top passes 

I hated it. Hockey was played by the 2 bad groups in PE, of which I was in the better of the 2, while the good groups got rugby. The group I was in was full of psychopaths. I can recall is all gathering up as the lesson started and while the teacher was getting things ready one kid was just whacking everyone with a stick, proper 2 handed swings into the back of your legs. And then you'd start the game and spend the whole thing having your ankles battered. And being fairly tall I'd end up with back ache at the end of the lesson from the sticks being too small.

Crap sport.

I enjoyed playing hockey at school and played for my local club for a season when I was around 15.

Then went back to playing football and rugby on the weekends instead.

Rugby on Saturday afternoon followed by Football Sunday morning (with a night on the beers separating them!) 

Couldn’t do that nowadays 😂

Â