The 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics

sne

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I just hope with it being during a more UK friendly time, they decide they will go for it. You’re probably right it won’t go back, but I can hope.

They won’t. The BBC can’t afford to spend 2 billion on rights to show the Olympics. It simply won’t happen. The only hope is that they for some reason don’t sell the rights in the same way they did this time

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The first Olympics in my lifetime that I didn't watch a single minute of. 

First in my memory I never watched. First I remember was Seoul '88.

I've seen a few clips of it on YouTube but never tuned into anything live. Just not the same without fans. Feel sorry for Japan and the people of Tokyo, the pandemic has ruined it for them. 

• Like 1

The no fans thing didn’t really bother me to be honest. Yeah it took away from the atmosphere but the events were just as good. 

It was a great Olympics IMO. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

CJ Ujah, a member of the British sprint relay team, has been provisionally suspended for anti doping violation. Would see us losing a medal. 
Wonder if any more will come out

But only the Russians cheat 😉

I watched about 20 minutes of the road cycling highlights and about another 20 minutes combined of everything else.

Usually it’s unavoidable but not this time. 
It’s a bit of a shame, especially WFH. 

On 09/08/2021 at 21:44, Stevo985 said:

I imagine there will be no going back to the BBC now. If they’re selling the rights for billions of pounds then the BBC won’t even try. 

my understanding is the IOC has their own production company or whatever you call it, they're the ones with the cameras and the live feeds (for football this is up for sale, i think at the moment a chinese company has the WC) the IOC then sold pan european distribution rights to Eurosport, who sub license it in some regions to discovery, they then sub license it to the BBC

if the BBC want full 100% coverage again they would have to cut out eurosport, effectively buying pan european rights and then they would have to set up distribution agreements with european TV stations to show it all

thats never going to happen

this was the last games under the deal too, the next ones will be worse not better

• Sad 1

On 13/08/2021 at 07:57, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Of course the UK only has widespread state sponsored “marginal gains” 😉

Just noticed this post. I assume you are referring to the marginal gains in track cycling. I can assure you they were instigated by Brailsford and involved tiny adjustments to the bikes and indeed the clothing. The teams spent a lot of time at a wind tunnel in Southampton and the only slightly 'dodgy' moves involved some of the kit not made by the manufacturer whose sticker appeared on it. Wheels being an example. So there !! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2021 at 18:12, mikeyp102 said:

CJ Ujah, a member of the British sprint relay team, has been provisionally suspended for anti doping violation. Would see us losing a medal. 
Wonder if any more will come out

bump! 

that’s one medal to be returned… 

I just don’t get doping… why risk your integrity and legacy!?!? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Logically, the answer must be 'because the chances of getting caught are very low', which in turn must mean that (at least in some sports) vast numbers of athletes are doping (or else, how does anyone know the chances of getting caught are small, if they don't think the catches that do occur are a small numerator of a very large denominator).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

bump! 

that’s one medal to be returned… 

His teammates lose the medal as well.

Bad enough doping for individual events, but for team events. If I was a teammate i'd feel like ripping his head off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Logically, the answer must be 'because the chances of getting caught are very low', which in turn must mean that (at least in some sports) vast numbers of athletes are doping (or else, how does anyone know the chances of getting caught are small, if they don't think the catches that do occur are a small numerator of a very large denominator).

You'd think all medalists would be tested? Or is it still random?

Â