Languages, accents, dialects an' t'ing

mjmooney

I’d love to know what Reith was trying to watch while Muggeridge was going on asking him about accents. He’s intently staring at something off screen that’s seemingly fascinating. And Muggeridge ploughs on regardless.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’d love to know what Reith was trying to watch while Muggeridge was going on asking him about accents. He’s intently staring at something off screen that’s seemingly fascinating. And Muggeridge ploughs on regardless.

Looks like he’s a bit hard of hearing and pointing his good ear at him? Or he has a poster of Raquel Welch on the wall

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

If your desk had a lid,its an indication of your age.Those types of desk are in our local museum. 

I know. It had an inkwell, too. Not that we would have been using it by then, but the desks must have been at least thirty years old by the time we were using them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I know. It had an inkwell, too. Not that we would have been using it by then, but the desks must have been at least thirty years old by the time we were using them. 

I had one of those desks in my primary school. I left for secondary in 1993.

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I had one of those desks as well,in primary school.Mine had a line drawn down the halfway mark and if I crossed the line Doreen Porter (Olympic runner ) jabbed me with a darning needle

• Like 1

On 29/10/2022 at 15:21, mjmooney said:

When I started secondary school in the 80s we still had them. Ours would have been 20 years old from when the school opened in the 1960s. They were much better than the flat ones with the plastic drawers underneath that replaced them.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, bickster said:

That has just made me realise that the term bollocks when used as a synonym for nonsense etc. has become a different word to the slang for testicles it derives from.

It's become a singular word that just happens to have an s on the end.

Prompted by the above -

I think “bollocks” might be my favourite swear/curse word.

It’s got a little bit of edge to it, more than something like “piss” but it’s not as aggressive as something like “word removed”. It’s roughly about the right level to get away with in (reasonably) polite company.

And I don’t think it’s quite as overused as others, despite it being relatively flexible in how it’s used (talking bollocks/dropped a bollock/etc).

And I know these words typically have a long old history, but there’s something inherently archaic about the word “bollocks”.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Prompted by the above -

I think “bollocks” might be my favourite swear/curse word.

It annoys me a little when females use that word.It just doesn't sound right.

It's our word; part of our anatomy.

Ridiculous I know especially when one of our oft used words is "clearing in the woods"....y'know, girls front bottom.

Its double standards I know but it just sounds odd when women say it - in my opinion anyway. 

24 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

It annoys me a little when females use that word.It just doesn't sound right.

Stop being such a fanny 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

But it isn't, it's become a different word in it's own right. It has different tenses

About Testicles - Those are bollocks

About nonsense - That is bollocks

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

About nonsense - That is bollocks

The singular collective noun is implied: 

That is [a load of] bollocks. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

The singular collective noun is implied: 

That is [a load of] bollocks. 

I suppose but I still think in reality the word has taken on its own life and become what it has become. I think it gets used far more these days in the nonsense sense than it does about testicles

• Like 1

Â