Languages, accents, dialects an' t'ing

mjmooney

6 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I always remember when thomas hitzlsperger was on Soccer AM and they were quizzing him about his English accent and he said something along the lines of "it just happened, believe me, I wouldn't have chosen to sound like a Brummie but it is what it is"

Does he still have that accent?

• 5 months later...

My eldest nipper is self taught in Icelandic to a fairly decent conversational level.

One of these irritating people that just thinks ooh I think I’ll learn Portugese / German / Icelandic, goes away and just does it.

I have a friend who has worked as a simultaneous translator in Welsh to/from Flemish, he’ll learn a language before going there on holiday as he feels that’s only polite. Did a year in Patagonia cataloguing dialect differences in Patagonian Spanish. Brain the size of a car park.

I was 30 before I learnt how to pronounce Bicester.

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Did a year in Patagonia cataloguing dialect differences in Patagonian Spanish.

But but but there are Welsh speaking communities in Patagonia, he could have holidayed without the hassle of learning a language :D 

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

But but but there are Welsh speaking communities in Patagonia, he could have holidayed without the hassle of learning a language :D 

Nah that was the gig, working out the Welsh / Spanish mash ups that were evolving, they needed someone fluent in both that could also then lobby for funding. A year of sitting in tea shops and attending village fetes, paid for by the tax payer, as I’ve reminded him more than once. I tell him its why I voted Brexit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

They do the whole bit, too. Rugby, male voice choirs, eisteddfods, the lot. Only downside is they have to shag llamas instead of sheep. 

Â