Languages, accents, dialects an' t'ing

mjmooney

15 minutes ago, Risso said:

Emile Smith Rowe is a prime example of the London accent you talk about. Notice how he pronounces the world 'like' for example.

Yes absolutely this wannabe gangsta accent is everywhere and will seep into all accents. 

Last year I gave my son a lift home from his prom and he asked me to give another lad a lift. 

This kid was in the back of the car talking like some kind of gang member. I was worried what kind of road I was going to have to drive down in the middle of the night to get him home. Imagine my suprise when I was directed to a massive house in one of the poshest roads in Solihull.

Edit - I don't think it's TV doing this, I think it's Tiktok and YouTube videos. This is what the Kidz spend hours watching. 

Edited by sidcow

• 3 weeks later...

I notice the current (UK) TV ads for IKEA are using a vaguely Swedish-accented voiceover with the 'ick-ey-ah' pronunciation. It's not working. I've still never heard any British person use it, everyone is stubbornly sticking to 'eye-kee-ah'. We seem to want to always pronounce an initial 'I' as 'eye' - hence 'eye-beetha' for 'Ibiza', and my particular bête noir, 'eye-dillick' for 'idyllic'. 

And there's no shaking the 'Van Gogh' problem. I assume it should end with the 'throat clearing sound' - but most anglophone speakers can't or won't do it. So in the US it's simply ignored - 'Van Go', and in the UK it's invariably 'Van Goff'  - I suspect due to its apparent similarity to the English surname 'Gough' (goff). 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I notice the current (UK) TV ads for IKEA are using a vaguely Swedish-accented voiceover with the 'ick-ey-ah' pronunciation. It's not working. I've still never heard any British person use it, everyone is stubbornly sticking to 'eye-kee-ah'. We seem to want to always pronounce an initial 'I' as 'eye' - hence 'eye-beetha' for 'Ibiza', and my particular bête noir, 'eye-dillick' for 'idyllic'. 

And there's no shaking the 'Van Gogh' problem. I assume it should end with the 'throat clearing sound' - but most anglophone speakers can't or won't do it. So in the US it's simply ignored - 'Van Go', and in the UK it's invariably 'Van Goff'  - I suspect due to its apparent similarity to the English surname 'Gough' (goff). 

Eye-key-ah

Ee-bee-tha

Ih-dill-ic

Van go

Here. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If they spelled it Ickeya we'd be much more likely to say it the way they want.

Conclusion. Swedes are illiterate ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Have you ever thought about driving round in a Shkodahh? 

When I was a kid the trainers were always made by Niyk. Now they've suddenly become Nikeee. 

Same with Porsh who are now Porsha. 

Why do things have to change? (he asks whilst tucking into his Marathon and Opal Fruits) 

Just now, sidcow said:

When I was a kid the trainers were always made by Niyk. Now they've suddenly become Nikeee. 

Same with Porsh who are now Porsha. 

Why do things have to change? (he asks whilst tucking into his Marathon and Opal Fruits) 

Best not start the whole Bombay / Mumbai, Peking / Beijing debate again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

If they spelled it Ickeya we'd be much more likely to say it the way they want.

Conclusion. Swedes are illiterate ;)

No 'C' in Ingvar Kamprad ;) but there is 'y' in both elmtaryd agunnaryd. So almost could have.

9 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

No 'C' in Ingvar Kamprad ;) but there is 'y' in both elmtaryd agunnaryd. So almost could have.

So it's an initialisation and should be pronounced I.K.E.A. gotcha :D

• Like 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

Fun fact. Swedes make words from pretty much all their initialisations. When they go to the pub and order a pint of I.P.A. they ask the barman for a pint of “Eeeepah”. 

Well, so do we... sometimes. Hence 'cat scan', rather than 'see-ay-tee scan'. But an ATM is an 'ay-tee-emm', not an 'atom'. In the home recording world, many people call a Digital Audio Workstation a 'daw' (I think that sounds confusingly like a 'door', so I go with 'dee-ay-doubleyoo'). 

On 09/04/2022 at 12:54, og1874 said:

Im very concerned that I’ve picked up a bit of a  Canadian twang since I moved over here. I frequently find myself either dropping t’s (torono instead of toronto) or turning them into d’s (oddawa instead of Ottawa)

The full on brogue comes back after I’ve been on the phone home, but I fear that, day to day, I’ve adopted a horrific hybrid, such is the frequency that natives ask if I’m a Newfie

and speaking of newfie, if you haven’t heard that abomination, prepare your ears and souls for a true horror:

According to Canadian politician Brian Peckford, students from Newfoundland attending university were required to take elecution lessons.

It used to be the case that elecution lessons were considered a necessity for those wishing to enter the British middle-classes.

I have no idea whether speaking RP is seen as advantageous these days, though.

Sue Lawley definitely thought so.

13 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I have no idea whether speaking RP is seen as advantageous these days, though.

I think that what people think of as 'RP' (or 'BBC English) has changed. The old clipped, posh version is now pretty laughable outside of a very small elite. But there is still a 'neutral' version, without any identifiable regional variation. Personally, I prefer that for TV continuity announcers, rather than some of the painfully 'street' ones that seem to be taking over atm. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I think that what people think of as 'RP' (or 'BBC English) has changed. The old clipped, posh version is now pretty laughable outside of a very small elite. But there is still a 'neutral' version, without any identifiable regional variation. Personally, I prefer that for TV continuity announcers, rather than some of the painfully 'street' ones that seem to be taking over atm. 

The BBC used to be known for the quality of voices but alas no more.

I like the BBC trend of pronouncing place names and some people’s names in a weird localised accent.

There’s one guy, one of their Asian Geographical reporters that says pretty much everything in no discernible accent, until he says the word Taliban. The word Taliban, he pronounces like a 1970’s pub comedian doing a Pakistani accent.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2022 at 09:26, sidcow said:

Yes absolutely this wannabe gangsta accent is everywhere and will seep into all accents. 

Last year I gave my son a lift home from his prom and he asked me to give another lad a lift. 

This kid was in the back of the car talking like some kind of gang member. I was worried what kind of road I was going to have to drive down in the middle of the night to get him home. Imagine my suprise when I was directed to a massive house in one of the poshest roads in Solihull.

Edit - I don't think it's TV doing this, I think it's Tiktok and YouTube videos. This is what the Kidz spend hours watching. 

they've been speaking this way for time though fam!

• Haha 1

Â