Languages, accents, dialects an' t'ing

mjmooney

20 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don't think I'd ever really noticed what a Leicester accent is until recently.  There's some similarity to Notts - where I live now - definitely in the 'eh' replacing 'y', but then an 'ah' sound to replace 'er' (So Leicester is Leicestah) and some weird sort of 'i' derivative that I can't quite think of an example for.  It's almost like a New Zealand 'i' being an 'e' (pen being pronounced 'pin') but isn't as noticeable as that.

I don't think it's an accent that's especially pleasing on the ear. The main thing I notice is when they say the word 'out' or words that end in it. It becomes quite a long 'arrrrt' sound. I think this bit is stronger the further north you go in the East Midlands, so people from Nottingham and areas around it will say "abarrt" rather than about. As you righty say, the 'ah' sound instead of 'er' is very strong in people from Leicester.

• Like 3

When on the receiving end of some criticism, mild or otherwise, do people find the Irish accent to have a bit more bite to it? Particularly in older people.

It’s more sort of…withering I think? It might be the people I’ve spoken to just happen to have a more cutting tone. 

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Has the Potteries accent been mentioned yet.? My wife has such an affliction  - but doesn't think she has ! 'Yer conna beat it'.

The accent interlopes into Stafford here, it used to bother me massively but now I accept that Stokies are afforded freedom of movement, unfortunately. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Seat68 said:

The accent interlopes into Stafford here, it used to bother me massively but now I accept that Stokies are afforded freedom of movement, unfortunately. 

A bit harsh - youth !

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

Do we have any Russian speakers on here? I'm led to believe that Russian pronunciation is logical and consistent, but I'm confused by surnames ending in -ev. Most of them seem to be pronounced as -eff, but what was going on with Nikita Kruschev (Krusch-choff)? 

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Do we have any Russian speakers on here? I'm led to believe that Russian pronunciation is logical and consistent, but I'm confused by surnames ending in -ev. Most of them seem to be pronounced as -eff, but what was going on with Nikita Kruschev (Krusch-choff)? 

It was pronounced wrong in the West and has stuck with him in Western Media

It's pronounced as you would expect it to be not how it is

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There's a letter ye in Russian,  which looks like an e and is often written in the latin alphabet as e, and a letter yo, which also looks like an e, but with  two dots, so is also often written in the latin alphabet as e. There's also a letter e in Russian,  but written like a backwards e. Not confusing at all to amateurs like me

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 13:19, Mark Albrighton said:

When on the receiving end of some criticism, mild or otherwise, do people find the Irish accent to have a bit more bite to it? Particularly in older people.

It’s more sort of…withering I think? It might be the people I’ve spoken to just happen to have a more cutting tone. 

Hard to say. Most of my family are from Cork and the accent is in my opinion the best in the country....there are what I'd say are harsher accents, further north, in the 6 counties for example but if I'm being verbally withered by the family "back home" then it's the speed of the delivery that is noticed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Hard to say. Most of my family are from Cork and the accent is in my opinion the best in the country....there are what I'd say are harsher accents, further north, in the 6 counties for example but if I'm being verbally withered by the family "back home" then it's the speed of the delivery that is noticed. 

I’m really basing this thought on two blokes who I knew. I forget where the one fella was from, but I know it was right on the border, about as north of Ireland as you can get without being in Northern Ireland.

The other fella was from Dundalk so there’s possibly something in the northern quality you’ve hit upon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am 10 years into learning Dutch,  I am getting there and can understand it mostly,  90 % lets say.

Accent's,  I have lived in Holland for 21 years now.  So I am free from the Birmingham accent in totality.

Disclaimer : 100% NSFW.  I don't know what this is but it's the 1st one.  I was trying out some Audio / Visual editing software and matching sound to visuals and I ended up with this video.

It is relevant in terms of accents though.  So are they imprinted somehow into your brain and do some accents disappear quicker than others ?

I start after 47 seconds.  Birmingham DWP agent undercover at a American Shopping channel.

I apologize in advance.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

How long has there been a Scouse accent? 

Good question. It's very hard to know what regional accents were like once you get back beyond the audio recording area. Written phonetic examples exist here and there - Chaucer's Canterbury Tales feature one of the earliest examples of northern English accents used for comic effect. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

How long has there been a Scouse accent? 

Not that long relatively speaking. It's one of the younger UK dialects. Scouse is an amalgamation of Irish / Welsh / Lancashire accents and the Irish and Welsh only started  arriving in Liverpool in numbers in the late 19th century. Now given that it would take a good couple of generations for the accent to start developing, it can only really be just over 100 years old. It is also an accent that is constantly developing and there are a number of dominant strains. But all those people from the 60s that became famous don't speak anything like the current population.

The Birmingham / West Midlands accents on the other hand are probably the oldest as they are said to much closer to the English spoken in Shakespearian times and earlier than any of the others and they don't change anywhere near as much

• Like 1

Â