Ajani Burchall

villan-scott

Posted this on another thread.

I know this isn’t the Academy or U23 thread but you have to admire the club’s new strategy of bringing in the best youngsters they can.

I mean, we won the FA Youth Cup  last season and a lot of clubs would have sat back and thought we’ve saved £50m+.

But what have we done? We’ve said that’s gone now and we’ve signed Feeny, Pierre, Burchall and (up the age range) Tim Ironbrew (😉).

What those 4 signings mean is that every player in that U18 squad will be looking over their shoulder as to whose coming through and that’s easily the best way to get the best out of the players that did win the FA Youth Cup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

What's the limit on youngsters these days? Didn't Chelsea get an transfer embargo because of it? 

Super exciting prospect. How do we bed all of these youngsters. 

I think academies have been trying to steer away from that kind of malarkey 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

Thought it was to do with our very own traore not being registered for 2 or 3 years after signing for them? And their 45 players they had on loan 

38 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

They got done for tapping up two players, from Leeds if I recall correctly.

As for Birchall, this is a coup and a great piece of business.

It was over Traore I thought, as brummybloke said.

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

Thought it was to do with our very own traore not being registered for 2 or 3 years after signing for them? And their 45 players they had on loan 

Traore was a big part of it:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/marcottis-musings/62/post/3781639/chelseas-transfer-ban-explained-what-did-they-do-wrong-and-how-will-the-punishment-play-out

Q: What exactly were they found guilty of?

A: It's basically two things. Article 19 concerns the registration of minors. Chelsea are accused of having played youngsters -- most of them kids on trial -- in their youth teams without registering them. FIFA rules state that they need to have the requisite paperwork, even though the football association, which not coincidentally has also been found to be in breach, have rather more relaxed rules, which is why they are likely to join Chelsea in their appeal.

One of the most high-profile examples is Bertrand Traore. He's a Burkina Faso international (he made his debut for them at just 15) who was at Auxerre but moved to London at age 15. Chelsea could not legally sign him because minors from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) can't move to clubs abroad except if it's for "non-footballing reasons" (or if the club is less than 60 miles from the border).

Instead, Chelsea paid to send him to a private boarding school. He appeared in a few friendlies for the youth team as a trial and eventually signed when he turned 18.

Q: And the other?

A: This concerns article 18b, which relates to "third-party influence." That's the practice, which used to be legal until 2017 but no longer is, of entering into agreements with outside parties (usually agents) that influence how another club operates in employment and transfer-related matters.

FIFA haven't gone into specifics on this, but such cases in the past might have involved players or their agents and family members being paid to breach their contracts. Chelsea have been charged for this in the past, notably with Gael Kakuta and John Obi Mikel. In both cases, they agreed to compensation subsequently, and the charges were dropped.

We've also signed James Wright from Manchester City, Finley Munroe from Chelsea, and Jayden Barber from Fulham, and wouldn't be surprised if we signed a few more, as well as having some highly rated first year scholars that have come through our young academy teams.

But a lot of last season's U18 team will be promoted to the U23s next season and many of last seasons' U23 team which is essentially the team that won the FA Youth Cup will either be promoted to the first team squad or go out on loan.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

What's the limit on youngsters these days? Didn't Chelsea get an transfer embargo because of it? 

Super exciting prospect. How do we bed all of these youngsters. 

Nah, that was due to the dodginess of their dealings, specifically the Kakuta transfer. I can't remember the details but he came from out foreign, was a child, and the registration was dodgy. Other than that, I think that you can just stockpile all the talent if you want.

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

It was over Traore I thought, as brummybloke said.

I thought Gael Kakuta was the issue. At least he was the example cited on Sky Sports News at the time.

EDIT: Ah, just read the later posts.

Edited by sparrow1988

Another big prospect signed up at the right age - I love the forward thinking status. If you’re under 18 why wouldn’t you want to play here? The facilities, the talent, staff, and potential to build something new and special must tempt so many. Not to mention how we do things the right way, building relationships and adequately compensating clubs for talent. 

• Like 1

Chelsea were punished because they were playing minors from abroad in their youth teams before they'd properly registered them, part of the registration process is proving that you're going to provide a young player, moving from another country with access to an education in addition to their football education, as well as providing them with an host family and somewhere to live, and so on, so it's obviously taken very seriously.

If you remember when we signed Barry we had to wait months before we could play him because we were waiting for him to be registered and that was for a player that was essentially coming home, would have been the same for Swinkels and Bogard as well, but shows we've been doing it the right way.

Doesn't affect most of our academy signings anyway because most of them are UK based.

15 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can’t emphasise enough how brilliant our approach is to the youth team. Over the course of the next 5 years, we’ll look back and realise how important the work we’re doing right now was. 

We seem to be doing what Chelsea have been doing for years.  With so many young hot prospects you've got a great chance of at least one becoming top class and you'll probably get a fair few good enough to flog to Championship or lower league PL teams for £10-£20m a pop. 

13 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Oh god, Birchall or Birchall? It's going to be the new Davies. 

We aren't really doing what Chelsea do in terms of stockpiling players, including the new scholars we have around fifty players between our U18 and U23 teams, around ten of those will go out on loan, leaving around 40 players for the U18 and U23 squads next season, which isn't a lot really, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if we make a few more signings as there's room. Chelsea, and other teams at times have thirty plus players out on loan, if we did that we wouldn't have any players left.

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I missed this at first, assumed it was an Aston Villa Women's team signing. 

If only they had their own pages you wouldn't get confused. 

troll dancing GIF

14 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

They got done for tapping up two players, from Leeds if I recall correctly.

I thought what Chelsea were done for was signing U18 players from non-EU countries? If it's in the UK then it doesn't matter how old they are as long as they live in a reasonable distane from the academy but it's against FIFA's laws for U18 players to transfer between countries, or at least countries without a free movement arangement. I believe it was our very own Bertrand Traore that was the one that got noticed and landed them in trouble.

Edit - Probably should've read the next page...

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Nah, that was due to the dodginess of their dealings, specifically the Kakuta transfer. I can't remember the details but he came from out foreign, was a child, and the registration was dodgy. Other than that, I think that you can just stockpile all the talent if you want.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Chelsea were punished because they were playing minors from abroad in their youth teams before they'd properly registered them, part of the registration process is proving that you're going to provide a young player, moving from another country with access to an education in addition to their football education, as well as providing them with an host family and somewhere to live, and so on, so it's obviously taken very seriously.

If you remember when we signed Barry we had to wait months before we could play him because we were waiting for him to be registered and that was for a player that was essentially coming home, would have been the same for Swinkels and Bogard as well, but shows we've been doing it the right way.

Doesn't affect most of our academy signings anyway because most of them are UK based.

New post-Brexit visa rules for transfers mean you can't bring in players who are under 18 from overseas (unless they have British or Irish nationality). We couldn't do the Swinkels or Bogarde transfers now.

• Like 1

Â