Pape Matar Sarr

MotoMkali

In describing a midfielder 'No.8' doesn't really tell a great deal, if you take 'no.8' to be another word for a box-to-box midfielder, then you can have different kinds of box-to-box midfielders and therefore 'No.8's. Some midfielders that play the no.8 position are more attack minded others more defence minded, Chukwuemeka is an attacking minded No.8 you wouldn't play him as no.6.

In every description I've seen Sarr is a DCM, I think maybe people are calling him a 'no.8' based on higlight videos, which can be misleading because they're going to show a disproportionate amount of his attacking play as that's what will look good on a highlights reel, but it might be misleading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

In describing a midfielder 'No.8' doesn't really tell a great deal, if you take 'no.8' to be another word for a box-to-box midfielder, then you can have different kinds of box-to-box midfielders and therefore 'No.8's. Some midfielders that play the no.8 position are more attack minded others more defence minded, Chukwuemeka is an attacking minded No.8 you wouldn't play him as no.6.

In every description I've seen Sarr is a DCM, I think maybe people are calling him a 'no.8' based on higlight videos, which can be misleading because they're going to show a disproportionate amount of his attacking play as that's what will look good on a highlights reel, but it might be misleading.

Sarr's defensive stats are on par with rice and Phillips he'd be fine as long as you have another positive defender with him. But he has a lot of attacking potential which is where the excitement comes from. 

Edited by MotoMkali

19 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Most sites I’ve just checked have him on €3mill per annum which equals around £51k PW - one site listed him at £20k PW do **** knows … Either way I don’t care and just want us to sign him 

Salary sport state he is on €540 per week which is far more likely in his break through season from youth.

That was start of the season, so unless he got a gigantic pay rise half way through the season, we wouldn't be giving him crazy money if we signed him.

Metz top earner is on 17k per week 

• Like 1

If we paid £20m plus for Sarr then he'd being brought for the first team squad, and given that he's seemingly a DCM, then I'd imagine the player who's position would be most under threat would be Nakamba rather than one of the academy players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

If we paid £20m plus for Sarr then he'd being brought for the first team squad, and given that he's seemingly a DCM, then I'd imagine the player who's position would be most under threat would be Nakamba rather than one of the academy players.

We can integrate him gradually if he makes 20 appearances in his first season he’s done well.

Edited by gwi1890

I don't get why people were mocking the fact that our potentially 3rd most expensive player ever would be among the top earners at the club. If he signed in region of 25m+ he'd be among the top 5/6 in terms of salary I'd suspect.

There's a recent quote from Metz Manager Frederic Antonetti comparing him to Camavinga: 

« C’est un félin, il a un don. Il est capable de jouer à tous les postes, même numéro 10. Que voulez-vous que je vous dise de plus ? Il a déjà quatre Camavinga dans chaque doigt du pied. » 

In a nutshell: "....he already has 4 Camavingas in each toe".

392285-e9f07ba86b680867932404522554f8ec.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Salary sport state he is on €540 per week which is far more likely in his break through season from youth.

That was start of the season, so unless he got a gigantic pay rise half way through the season, we wouldn't be giving him crazy money if we signed him.

Metz top earner is on 17k per week 

Sorry was referring to fofana…. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Have to presume this is our DCM option. Otherwise we are in ManCity and Chelsea territory of stockpiling players.

Well last season our squad was light, we didn't play in the FA Cup and went out of the EFL Cup after 3 games. Now we are targeting European football alongside competing in both the domestic cups. We'll need 23+ players we are happy to see in the team to be competing like that

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

By popular request I'm creating the brand new fish and tits thread

Well I request the Sadio Mane thread because there's just as much chance of that happening that this lol 

If we're in for him I imagine we'll be after a bargain after the French TV deal collapse. If it's not a bargain I don't think we'd risk big money on a player that might not be a starter. Also if he doesn't think he'll be starting games will he want to come and play for Villa? We already have exciting a talented players of his age that barely got a sniff off the bench all season. 

For a fan base that for as long as I can remember on this board has said 'if they're good enough, they're old enough' there's a strange belief that a potentially £25m midfielder won't be starting games.

Will he start 38 games + Cups? No. But I'd expect him to be phased in the cups and off the bench. 15-20 games started by the end of the season. 

If the lad costs that much, he's in the match day squad sharpish. Unless Dougie suddenly realises his spot is up for grabs and suddenly turns the steam on. 

Also, it's pretty clear he isn't much competition for our youth. Carney may have some similarities but he's a 10, or the attacking midfielder in a two. With Sarr the Defensive minded in a two. They would compliment each other well. I would assume. And two potential superstar 18 year old midfielders is no bad thing.

Edited by HalfTimePost

I think you need a top talent to play a single pivot in a midfield three. This kid may in time fit that bill allowing a choice between our other players filling the remaining two midfield positions. We simply don't have a player good enough in our squad so we play with a double pivot mostly last season. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah everybody ignored the link when myself and @Awol I believe it was posted it weeks ago.

I actually posted it months before then as well.

Everyone was too busy, with yet another Deano argument.... hahah... it kept getting buried.

28th of May was the first time I posted about it off one random link, thought it smelled like a Mackenzie deal. Really hope it’s true, he could be shoring up our midfield for a long time once he gets established, with Luiz, Sanson, McGinn, Chuk and JWP fighting for and rotating through the 8’s. 

A high press, high energy and technically strong central midfield will make us much stronger. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, useless said:

Yeah, its kinda hard to show highlights reels of CDM's.....its ostensibly the ugly side of the game, in some eyes, so it doesn't lend itself to highlights.

However, for me, they are highlights.......winning the ball is poetry in motion for me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

For a fan base that for as long as I can remember on this board has said 'if they're good enough, they're old enough' there's a strange belief that a potentially £25m midfielder won't be starting games.

Will he start 38 games + Cups? No. But I'd expect him to be phased in the cups and off the bench. 15-20 games started by the end of the season. 

If the lad costs that much, he's in the match day squad sharpish. Unless Dougie suddenly realises his spot is up for grabs and suddenly turns the steam on. 

Also, it's pretty clear he isn't much competition for our youth. Carney may have some similarities but he's a 10, or the attacking midfielder in a two. With Sarr the Defensive minded in a two. They would compliment each other well. I would assume. And two potential superstar 18 year old midfielders is no bad thing.

They got him for free from a Senegal club at the start of the season. He has contributed in 22 games and is on under 600euro per week.

I highly doubt metz who spent 10 million on 19 players last season will expect any more than 10 to possibly 15 million euro including bonuses for him. I fact they would probably rip your hands and legs off for that sort of money.

Â