Pape Matar Sarr

MotoMkali

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

I'd sign him and loan him back for a season and get him an English teacher. Another season to develop in a setting where he has already settled will help him. Big question marks over whether he is ready for the Premier league. Clearly he is a talent.

We'll have more loans than Chelsea based on everyone's plans for our youngsters 

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Villa SupaSarr, that is what you are

Comin from Dakar, Reachin for the stars

Run away with me, to another place

We can rely on each other, uh-huh

From one corner, to another, uh-huh

ol dirty bastard ghetto GIF

That's odd, doesn't look like Kenny Rogers OR Dolly Parton.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

The kid clearly has potential however, the reported £25/30m represents a massive gamble IMO, especially considering Kante only cost Leicester a mere £5.5m and had vastly more experience. 

The reported value is in euros. So take it down to 20 mil. I imagine it would be something like 15 mil +10 mil worth of add ons based on his performances with us. 5 league goals 2 mil. 25 starts in a season 5 mil. 5 assists 3 mil. Or something like that.

And 5.5 mil 7 years ago is probably 20 odd mil in football today. And Vastly more experience means one season of playing in ligue 1 and only playing in ligue 2 prior to that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Getting this tune on Spotify right now. Absolute banger!

Absolute banger!! I got the CD Single of this with the Acapella version on it from about 1997.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

He’d be better off gaining experience here and adjusting to the premier league we are in a position to do so it’s not like being thrown in at the deep end like Luiz in his first season 

Disagree, experience is essential, as he is clearly ready to play regularly. So having him sit on the bench for most of a season doesn't seem prudent. 

33 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

The kid clearly has potential however, the reported £25/30m represents a massive gamble IMO, especially considering Kante only cost Leicester a mere £5.5m and had vastly more experience. 

Kante was a vastly underrated gem. If we're comparing all our valuations to that, then pretty much every signing will seem incredibly overvalued in comparison. In the same way if you compared every signing to Harry Maguire, almost every othrr player seems undervalued in comparison.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Kante was a generational find, you can't compare anything to his transfer from a tinpot league. 

Well Mahrez from a worse league. Ligue 2.

But my general point is this sarr looks like he is a special talent and sometimes you have to push the boat out for these signings. 35 mil for tielemans and 40 mil for fofana. If we could get sarr for under 25 mil I think it will be a massive steal. Because he is already this good at 18.

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Well Mahrez from a worse league. Ligue 2.

But my general point is this sarr looks like he is a special talent and sometimes you have to push the boat out for these signings. 35 mil for tielemans and 40 mil for fofana. If we could get sarr for under 25 mil I think it will be a massive steal. Because he is already this good at 18.

Completely agree, I think we should go for Sarr. My comment was similar to @Laughable Chimp's saying theres no point in using the Kante signing to measure "value"...

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

You've quite literally highlighted the big risk taken within your own argument against taking big risks...

? Please tell me how ? 

A big risk is buying a player you only have 22 games to judge him by, who is 18 and spending 25 million on him.

A far lesser risk is spending 5 to 10 million on the same player.

You clearly can't be talking about the 4 Leicester players, all of whom I've fully explained the risk management around ?

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

? Please tell me how ? 

A big risk is buying a player you only have 22 games to judge him by, who is 18 and spending 25 million on him.

You clearly can't be talking about the 4 Leicester players, all of whom I've fully explained the risk management around ?

Monaco bought him for 23 million after he had a good season in the Belgian league. That's a big risk. I thought Leicester also had an obligation to buy for 35 mil which is a big risk. Look at Leeds with Augustin. 

How was signing fofana for 40 million good risk management from Leicester after he had also only played 20 games for a French team and only 16 games in ligue 1?

And 5.5 mil 7 years ago was a massive risk. That would have been 1/2-1/3 of most prem clubs record signings. Here we are talking about one around 2/3 of ours. Not really pushing the boat out particularly far with that. 

So, quick look through his stats. Seems like an allrounder to me with no clear weaknesses anywhere and a penchant for scoring goals. 

Albeit, he really hasn't played all that much but its clear why he's being so highly rated. 

Edit: I meant finishing, not goalscoring. Interesting.

Edit2: Nvm, not finishing either. Its long shots that he's good at.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

? Please tell me how ? 

I was referring to Monaco (highlighted), who spent £20million on a 20 year old who was playing in a very average league at the time. So the risk had been taken, just by a different club.

Every transfer is a risk, you place your trust in the scouts and management to make the right call. Villa are not in a position to get this guy in 2 or 3 years time when he has 150 appearances in Ligue 1 and may be a world class talent so we need to take that risk now if our people are telling us he's that good. 

The two other players who Leicester bought were far older and we're truly exceptional finds, the likes of which you can find only 2 or 3 other examples of in world football at present. Quite a high bar if you ask me. 

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

So, quick look through his stats. Seems like an allrounder to me with no clear weaknesses anywhere and a penchant for scoring goals. 

Albeit, he really hasn't played all that much but its clear why he's being so highly rated. 

Edit: I meant finishing, not goalscoring. Interesting.

Edit2: Nvm, not finishing either. Its long shots that he's good at.

Christian Bale Swag GIF

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

I was referring to Monaco (highlighted), who spent £20million on a 20 year old who was playing in a very average league at the time. So the risk had been taken, just by a different club.

Every transfer is a risk, you place your trust in the scouts and management to make the right call. Villa are not in a position to get this guy in 2 or 3 years time when he has 150 appearances in Ligue 1 and may be a world class talent so we need to take that risk now if our people are telling us he's that good. 

The two other players who Leicester bought were far older and we're truly exceptional finds, the likes of which you can find only 2 or 3 other examples of in world football at present. Quite a high bar if you ask me. 

Right, I get you now, although teilmans had played 4 seasons in anderlecht first team, playing 140 odd games and had played for Belgium national team before Monaco bought him. So their sample size for seeing him play was pretty vast making the risk as minimal as any signing can be.

But I get your point, I just don't agree on the pricing, 5 to 10 million I would expect possibly with add ons for the very limited time he could be monitored, and that is still a decent amount of money for an unknown quantity who may or may not progress to the levels expected.

• Like 1

Â