Pape Matar Sarr

MotoMkali

8 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

I’m really not convinced. I think he’s only played something like 22 senior games for Metz since November and although he certainly has time on his side, the only way this transfer makes sense to me is to loan him back to Metz for another season to get more experience. IMO he’s not ready for Premier League football and would be a huge gamble. 

It was his first season in a league outside of Senegal. He also started in 17 of their last 20 games (playing in all of them) after starting in just 1 in their first 18 and only having 1 substitute appearance in that period as well. Essentially he forced his way into their squad. Or he improved that much within a year 

That's pretty impressive as are his stats. More tackles + interceptions than rice and Phillips. More ball recoveries than rice. More progressive passing and dribbling than rice, Phillips, Ndidi. More pressures and higher success rate at them than Kante. Similar aerial duel and defensive duel success rates to Ndidi and rice (better in the air worse on the ground) The cheapest one of those would be us 50 mil. And he's doing it at 18. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

It was his first season in a league outside of Senegal. He also started in 17 of their last 20 games (playing in all of them) after starting in just 1 in their first 18 and only having 1 substitute appearance in that period as well. Essentially he forced his way into their squad. Or he improved that much within a year 

That's pretty impressive as are his stats. More tackles + interceptions than rice and Phillips. More ball recoveries than rice. More progressive passing and dribbling than rice, Phillips, Ndidi. More pressures and higher success rate at them than Kante. Similar aerial duel and defensive duel success rates to Ndidi and rice (better in the air worse on the ground) The cheapest one of those would be us 50 mil. And he's doing it at 18. 

Yes, he has done fantastically well in his first season. However, there is absolutely no guarantee he will be able to sustain that form next season. Especially when you consider just how much more competitive/demanding the Premier League is compared to French League. Given the reported price tag/wages I’d rather look elsewhere. Sorry. 

40 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Yes, he has done fantastically well in his first season. However, there is absolutely no guarantee he will be able to sustain that form next season. Especially when you consider just how much more competitive/demanding the Premier League is compared to French League. Given the reported price tag/wages I’d rather look elsewhere. Sorry. 

This also came to my mind.  Based just on the dozen or so matches during Project Restart Douglas Luiz would be valued at 50M! I'd like to see a longer body of work before investing such high sums on a player. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Look at Leicester their best signings are pretty much exclusively based on one seasons worth of performances in Ligue 1. Fofana, Tielemans(2 seasons in ligue 1 but only one good season), Kante and Mahrez (1.5 seasons of ligue 2)

We talk about making similar signings but when we are rumoured with one we shoot it down. 

That's what a decade of shit signings will do to you. Only getting used to our new dynamic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Look at Leicester their best signings are pretty much exclusively based on one seasons worth of performances in Ligue 1. Fofana, Tielemans(2 seasons in ligue 1 but only one good season), Kante and Mahrez (1.5 seasons of ligue 2)

We talk about making similar signings but when we are rumoured with one we shoot it down. 

A certain Dwight Yorke was plucked from relative obscurity before going on to become one of our best players in recent memory and it was a feat achieved in relatively short order.

Sure, the Sarr fee, if accurate, is off putting, but our current recruitment team are not stupid and the owners aren't poor, so I feel any risk they do take on him will have been carefully considered.

If they want him and think he is close to being ready, we should go and get him.

It's these type of signings that get me excited. Signing a player where they've done the research on and who has a very high ceiling in terms of potential. Has all the physical attributes to adapt in the Premier League and excel there. Would be joining in a position we have plenty of competition for so no need to rush his development he can be eased in like Traore was and if he can be signed so he has a full pre-season with us would be great. There are a few French speaking players in the squad too and a couple of African players. 

I would imagine it will be a lower initial fee with lots of add on's signing if we do make it. x after 50 league appearances etc..

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

They want us to find the new Kante and Mahrez AND only pay £1m. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

A certain Dwight Yorke was plucked from relative obscurity before going on to become one of our best players in recent memory and it was a feat achieved in relatively short order.

That was when we had a visionary scout to plucked him from obscurity of beach football.  Yorke thought of him as a father and also, as the man who invented the bicycle kick, an inspiration. 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Villa SupaSarr, that is what you are

Comin from Dakar, Reachin for the stars

Run away with me, to another place

We can rely on each other, uh-huh

From one corner, to another, uh-huh

ol dirty bastard ghetto GIF

Getting this tune on Spotify right now. Absolute banger!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm not sure shooting it down is accurate, more ... 'yes but not at the crazy prices randomly being chucked about of 20 million plus.'

At 5 to 10 million plus add ons then I don't think many would be concerned.

Kante cost £5.5 million aged 24

Mahrez £400,000 aged 22

Tielmans was £40 million, was highly rated and was signed by Monaco for 23 million aged 20 who then sold him on to Leicester who had him on loan for half a season so knew what they were getting.

None of these either through price or try before you buy were a big risk.

Fofana is the only example that is simular due to age, price and limited 1st team football, however he went through St ettiennes youth and 2nd team set up before hand, so his progress could be checked accurately.

• Like 1

I'd sign him and loan him back for a season and get him an English teacher. Another season to develop in a setting where he has already settled will help him. Big question marks over whether he is ready for the Premier league. Clearly he is a talent.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

I'm not sure shooting it down is accurate, more ... 'yes but not at the crazy prices randomly being chucked about of 20 million plus.'

At 5 to 10 million plus add ons then I don't think many would be concerned.

Kante cost £5.5 million aged 24

Mahrez £400,000 aged 22

Tielmans was £40 million, was highly rated and was signed by Monaco for 23 million aged 20 who then sold him on to Leicester who had him on loan for half a season so knew what they were getting.

None of these either through price or try before you buy were a big risk.

Fofana is the only example that is simular due to age, price and limited 1st team football, however he went through St ettiennes youth and 2nd team set up before hand, so his progress could be checked accurately.

You've quite literally highlighted the big risk taken within your own argument against taking big risks...

47 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'd sign him and loan him back for a season and get him an English teacher. Another season to develop in a setting where he has already settled will help him. Big question marks over whether he is ready for the Premier league. Clearly he is a talent.

He’d be better off gaining experience here and adjusting to the premier league we are in a position to do so it’s not like being thrown in at the deep end like Luiz in his first season 

Â