Pape Matar Sarr

MotoMkali

Sarr's goal is at 2:00 minute mark of the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz0PeiWcG9o

At 1:26 in the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPUBEvb-EqU

And finally at the 1:00 minute mark of the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QejmCsnWkis

The videos won't display on the site, you have to click on the links.

These are all his goals for last season. They're not that many, but despite his appearances, he didn't actually play that many minutes. All 3 are really good goals.

I hope that we sign this brilliant midfield ace. No point worrying about the transfer fee, Dortmund paid £20m plus for Bellingham after one season in the championship, when they're that/this young you're paying for how good they are now but also for potential.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Monaco bought him for 23 million after he had a good season in the Belgian league. That's a big risk. I thought Leicester also had an obligation to buy for 35 mil which is a big risk. Look at Leeds with Augustin. 

How was signing fofana for 40 million good risk management from Leicester after he had also only played 20 games for a French team and only 16 games in ligue 1?

And 5.5 mil 7 years ago was a massive risk. That would have been 1/2-1/3 of most prem clubs record signings. Here we are talking about one around 2/3 of ours. Not really pushing the boat out particularly far with that. 

Teilmans played 140 games for anderlecht and had broken into Belgium first team squad before Monaco bought him.

Fofana played for St ettienne youth team 2nd team then first team. He could be tracked and monitored from a young age and presumably scouting reports would have been made on him from other clubs based on his youth performances.

Slightly different to a player coming from a Senegal team with little to no history of the player who went for trials for metz 2nd team and earned himself a contract. 

I'm not saying the kid can't be amazing, I'm saying risking 25 million an a kid who is pretty much an unknown quantity bar 22 games seems very risky indeed. 

Spending 5 to 10 million would still be a risk but obviously a far less one due to finances.

10 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Teilmans played 140 games for anderlecht and had broken into Belgium first team squad before Monaco bought him.

Fofana played for St ettienne youth team 2nd team then first team. He could be tracked and monitored from a young age and presumably scouting reports would have been made on him from other clubs based on his youth performances.

Slightly different to a player coming from a Senegal team with little to no history of the player who went for trials for metz 2nd team and earned himself a contract. 

I'm not saying the kid can't be amazing, I'm saying risking 25 million an a kid who is pretty much an unknown quantity bar 22 games seems very risky indeed. 

Spending 5 to 10 million would still be a risk but obviously a far less one due to finances.

Playing for the 2nd team is completely different from playing for the first team. 

8 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Well Mahrez from a worse league. Ligue 2.

But my general point is this sarr looks like he is a special talent and sometimes you have to push the boat out for these signings. 35 mil for tielemans and 40 mil for fofana. If we could get sarr for under 25 mil I think it will be a massive steal. Because he is already this good at 18.

I understand what you’re saying, however given the fact that he has only made 22 senior appearances in his entire career, in a less competitive league gives me cause for concern considering the sums of money reportedly involved.

And although I’m not entirely sure, I believe both Fofana and Tielemans had been consistently good for a couple of seasons prior to their respective moves to England.

9 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Tshibola Mk 2...

Jesus, what exactly happened to this guy. Man went from promising youngster to getting relegated from the Scottish premier league.

It always surprises me how many promising youngsters from the clubs in the top leagues fall straight into obscurity. And not even be one of the better players at the levels they're playing at too.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Haha 1

Sarr only turned eighteen last September that's why he hasn't played much first team football, the fact that despite his young age he's been Metz's best player is why he's so highly rated and wanted by a lot of clubs, and they're not just judging him on what he's done but also his potential, if he looks this good now, how good is going to be in three or four seasons.

Going into next season Chukwuemeka will be the same age as Sarr was last season, if after next season Chukwumeka has played twenty  games for us and has looked our best player or one of the best, and come the end of the season there was talk of him leaving can be sure we'd be wanting a similar fee to that which Sarr is currently being valued at, probably more.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, useless said:

I hope that we sign this brilliant midfield ace. No point worrying about the transfer fee, Dortmund paid £20m plus for Bellingham after one season in the championship, when they're that/this young you're paying for how good they are now but also for potential.

Great comparison. A year later, if we'd bid £50m for this guy, we'd all be over the moon.

We either have a scouting team who know their job, so we back them.
Or we haven't, so need to replace them.

Deals for younger players are often either lower with big add-ons and sell on fees, or just high. We structure the deal based on our confidence (and what they'll accept).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Jesus, what exactly happened to this guy. Man went from promising youngster to getting relegated from the Scottish premier league.

It always surprises me how many promising youngsters from the clubs in the top leagues fall straight into obscurity. And not even be one of the better players at the levels they're playing at too.

The step up from youth football to men's professional is massive.  A lot of youth players succeed because of natural athleticism and/or natural talent and never really had to work hard to get where they are.  In order to play at the top, you need to have the work ethic and ambition to make the step up.  It's easy to get disillusioned and lose that fire when you sign your first big contract and aren't playing week in and week out anymore.  

46 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

There was something severely lacking with our scouting (among other things) when the Tony Xia regime took over. How they assessed Tshibola and felt he was worth investing the money they did is incredible. I'm pretty sure Tony Xia also had a nasty wee dig at Paddy Riley on twitter after he'd left the club that summer! 

Even greater still is what I wrote in my next post, simply put, if Chukwuemeka was to have season next season like the one that Sarr has just had then we'd be valuing him at £20m plus as well.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

It happens when you are playing in a good team relative to your level. I.e alli, Lingard etc. But when they are expected to be the best player they fail. 

The price does sound pretty steep, unless there is a lot of interest from other clubs, which can only be a good sign anyway if he is being tracked by top European clubs.  I trust the scouts tbh, the tricky bit is always getting the deal done but we are more cash-rich than pretty much anyone else I'd have thought.

" I'm tired of overpaying for average players in England, I'm hoping our extensive investment into scouting will start to unearth gems "

" WTF? 25 million for an unknown 18 year old? If he had more of a history at the highest level then ok but wtf?! "

You can't want us to unearth gems then moan when we find and invest in " gems ".

If people knew how good Vardy would turned out to be eventually, they would have signed him for peanuts a decade or so ago.

Just because a player is " unknown " to us, doesn't equate to " unknown " in the football world, and to the pros.

At his age, as long as he is not a Salifou type, at WORST, we recoup our 20 - 25 mill for him.

Also, even though these are the figures being quoted, I have a feeling any fee would be heavily structured based on performance, appearances, development etc. Not a straight 25 mill.

Probably more like a 15 mill, with add ons, if not even less.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

We do like a good old moan don’t we … This is literally the sort of signing we should all be excited about and wtf who care about cost it’s not our money and we can obviously afford it… have faith 

• Like 4

As he's 18.....

And to the best of my knowledge FFP doesn't apply to youth development...

Does this mean we can sign him (for whatever value); stick him in the U18s or U23s for a few days/weeks/months; and if he is the bits, slowly bring him into the first team and it not actually impact on our FFP compliance?

(And does anybody understand FFP? Know what's happening to it during Covid? and know if we are in danger? Except Purslow, which is probably a good thing).

11 minutes ago, thabucks said:

We do like a good old moan don’t we … This is literally the sort of signing we should all be excited about and wtf who care about cost it’s not our money and we can obviously afford it… have faith 

Even if we sign him for 20 million quid and he turns out to be the first big bust of the regime, so what. It will happen eventually. It’s the posturing I find ridiculous, everyone has to have an angle. 

• Like 3

Â