Pape Matar Sarr

MotoMkali

It does appear we missed our opportunity with this player, but lets see how it plays out. Report in the Mail says those listed clubs are willing to buy and loan him back to Metz for a year.

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not linked to villa then. Disappointed.

He has been linked though, hasn’t he? He liked some Villa social media posts and some French dude said we were interested. Seems pretty concrete to me. 

It’ll be nice when he arrives at the airport and walks straight past the manc chairmen to shake hands with Lange. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Wes said:

It does appear we missed our opportunity with this player, but lets see how it plays out. Report in the Mail says those listed clubs are willing to buy and loan him back to Metz for a year.

I can see why we are probably passing this one over - He is only 18 or maybe 19. The quoted fee is massive for a player of that age - granted the potential is also massive - but equally a lot can also go wrong. I also think in this window we have paid big prices for players and they are expected to hit the ground running. Could an 18 year old really make an impact in the prem week in \ week out - really not sure.

Still be chuffed to bits if we did surprise everyone and land him. But perhaps can understand why we aren't.

28 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

He has been linked though, hasn’t he? He liked some Villa social media posts and some French dude said we were interested. Seems pretty concrete to me. 

It’ll be nice when he arrives at the airport and walks straight past the manc chairmen to shake hands with Lange. 

My recollection was that were linked early on in the window - but baulked at the asking price. All cloak and dagger rumour etc - but that's what was reported IIRC

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 10:39, HalfTimePost said:

He signed for Metz in September on a 5 Year deal. But as is detailed in so many threads, French Football finances are in a mess. A 5 Year deal means nothing.

Jack signed one too....as much use as they are.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Not linked to villa then. Disappointed.

He's a central midfielder....he can't be linked with us.😀

we are only linked with wingers.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

My recollection was that were linked early on in the window - but baulked at the asking price. All cloak and dagger rumour etc - but that's what was reported IIRC

The report was they we valued him at €18m and Metz wanted €22-25m. If the €40m valuation is correct than I can see why we backed off! 

• Like 1

Is Sarr really the player Villa need to sign? I have only seen clips of him play and read about him and yes he sounds like a good player. But he is only 18 years old and has played a total of 22 games for Metz senior team. Is he good enough to be a starter for us and will he fix our problems. To me he looks like one for the future as opposed to a player for this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Is Sarr really the player Villa need to sign? I have only seen clips of him play and read about him and yes he sounds like a good player. But he is only 18 years old and has played a total of 22 games for Metz senior team. Is he good enough to be a starter for us and will he fix our problems. To me he looks like one for the future as opposed to a player for this season. 

Hes exactly the type of player we need. tough tacking, excellent passer of the ball. But as you say 18 is very young. that and the hefty fee makes me think were not in for him.

25 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hes exactly the type of player we need.

From what I have seen of him, which is very very limited and from a playing perspective, he does look like the type of player we need but I just don't see that his lack of experience and age suiting our team this season. I may be missing something but I don't understand the calls for us to sign him. Has anyone actually seen the lad play other than clips on YT?

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I can see why we are probably passing this one over - He is only 18 or maybe 19. The quoted fee is massive for a player of that age - granted the potential is also massive - but equally a lot can also go wrong. I also think in this window we have paid big prices for players and they are expected to hit the ground running. Could an 18 year old really make an impact in the prem week in \ week out - really not sure.

Still be chuffed to bits if we did surprise everyone and land him. But perhaps can understand why we aren't.

I think his age and therefore higher risk and less likelihood of hitting  the ground running, makes him possibly the right player but wrong time for us. Which for opposite reasons is also what makes JWP attractive to us, even if the price will be high. I’d like to think we’re still in with a shout for JWP

52 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

From what I have seen of him, which is very very limited and from a playing perspective, he does look like the type of player we need but I just don't see that his lack of experience and age suiting our team this season. I may be missing something but I don't understand the calls for us to sign him. Has anyone actually seen the lad play other than clips on YT?

Agree with the first part. and yes may not be ready for a full prem season at 18.

But watch him go to another club and be ripping it up in a couple of seasons - thats why we should sign him now. He will be out our reach by the time he is 21.

But most likely we aren't in for him so all academic.

3 hours ago, Wes said:

If he's genuinely linked to the clubs quoted in that article then it's unlikely we ever had the opportunity to sign him.

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

But watch him go to another club and be ripping it up in a couple of seasons - thats why we should sign him now. He will be out our reach by the time he is 21.

I would like to sign him now. He looks a good prospect. But for the reported 30m/40m I think the money would be better spent fixing the issues we have this season and not buying potential for a few years down the road. If we can afford to buy for this season and invest for the future then great. If we can only afford one or the other then I can't see why we should invest in Sarr as future potential

Â