Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I know it's only whoscored, but it's based on stats, and he had a fairly low overall rating.

For those who think he was good tonight, if he played like that for the majority of the time over the next few season, would you be happy? 

But the stats don't rate movement without the ball and work rate. According to Sky sports he had 67 touches, 44 passes, 2 key passes, 88,6% passing accuracy. That's good stats for a forward I'd say. Only Luiz had better passing accuracy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't agree that he lost the ball that often, he has the ball a lot for being a forward player and he is one of few that can receive the ball in tight situations and who the other players trusts to play those risky passes to. He will lose the ball now and then, but compared to how often he gets it and in those positions, it isn't something to criticize him for imo. Without him taking those risks we become a kick and rush team.

It's like when ppl were criticizing Jack for holding on to the ball too long and falling over. We very much need those type of players to be a passing team, a team that has possession and creates quality stuff, a anti kick and run Steve Bruce team. 

According to the stats, he lost the ball twice because of a bad touch, only Young was worse and there were 4 villa players who were all dispossessed on the ball twice, with Emi being one of them. 

I don't think he was losing the ball trying to be super creative. At times it's because he seems very slow and weak for premier league football. 

Edited by DCJonah

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

But the stats don't rate movement without the ball and work rate. According to Sky sports he had 67 touches, 44 passes, 2 key passes, 88,6% passing accuracy. That's good stats for a forward I'd say. Only Luiz had better passing accuracy.

Pretty much. If he'd took a few pot shots and took a corner or two his rating would be in the mid 7s.

He was good.

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

So is that a yes? If Buendia plays like that 90% of the time over the next 2/3 seasons you'd be happy?

Just now, DCJonah said:

According to the stats, he lost the ball twice because of a bad touch, only Young was worse and there were 4 villa players who were all disposed on the ball twice, with Emi being one of them. 

I don't think he was losing the ball trying to be super creative. At times it's because he seems very slow and weak for premier league football. 

So all of this he loses the ball talk comes down to him - a forward who is a key in our attacking play - lost the ball two times?

• Like 1

Just now, Keener window-cleaner said:

So all of this he loses the ball talk comes down to him - a forward who is a key in our attacking play - lost the ball two times?

Well no, he was dispossessed twice and lost the ball twice more with a bad touch, plus what ever passes went astray. 

I actually don't think he was that bad for losing the ball tonight. I said that earlier. 

Just now, Keener window-cleaner said:

Yeah I'd be very happy, thought he was excellent especially in the first, if he plays like this he will contribute a lot to the team over the next 2/3 seasons.

Fair enough. 

For me I'd be pretty disappointed. As I've already said, I think an average Traore game is pretty similar to what I saw tonight. I'd say Traore has more potential for a moment of magic. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well no, he was dispossessed twice and lost the ball twice more with a bad touch, plus what ever passes went astray. 

I actually don't think he was that bad for losing the ball tonight. I said that earlier. 

I just don't get why him losing the ball high up the field a couple of times gets so blown out of proportion. Youngs back pass that almost gifted them a goal yes, Mings several back passes last season yes etc. Buendia being dispossessed a couple of times when he has the second highest passing accuracy and has loads of touches and passes, puts in a great shift and contributes alot to the game (at least in the first half we agree on), just don't get the focus on him losing the ball, of course he and others will in that position. 

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

According to the stats, he lost the ball twice because of a bad touch, only Young was worse and there were 4 villa players who were all dispossessed on the ball twice, with Emi being one of them. 

I agree he looked that way in the first couple of games, I think that was a combination of him not having a proper pre season (injured?) and not being used to the tempo in the PL. In the last couple of games I think he has looked both quick and combative.

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I agree he looked that way in the first couple of games, I think that was a combination of him not having a proper pre season (injured?) and not being used to the tempo in the PL. In the last couple of games I think he has looked both quick and combative.

Agree in moments. I think it's a concern that we are almost half through the season and we haven't seen one game where he could physically handle premier league football for 90 minutes. 

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Fair enough. 

For me I'd be pretty disappointed. As I've already said, I think an average Traore game is pretty similar to what I saw tonight. I'd say Traore has more potential for a moment of magic. 

Agree that Traore has more potential for a moment of magic, at least the most extraordinary stuff. But over the course of a whole game I think Buendia contributes a lot more, I think you underestimate the value of his workrate, his movement and passing ability. Buendia pops up everywhere on the pitch and is always playable. I really like Traore, but he is 50/50 when he gets the ball if he will do something great or lose it/run into a blind alley/try something on his own. Buendia on the contrary is a really intelligent team player who very often finds a smart pass, moves and gets the ball again, making us keep the ball and create stuff as a team. Together with Luiz he makes us a passing team.

Comparing Traore and Buendia and the previous talk of losing the ball, how do you compare the times Buendia gets dispossessed with Traore's one touch back/cross-field passes? 🙂 

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Agree in moments. I think it's a concern that we are almost half through the season and we haven't seen one game where he could physically handle premier league football for 90 minutes. 

True it would be better if he lasted the full 90 mins, I guess it's because of the effort he puts in. Would be interesting to see if there was stats on distance covered, I'd like to see if it is me exaggerating his work rate or if he actually runs that much.

You can see flashes of his ability, there are times where he is on the ball and gets closed down quickly and think he has lost it, then he somehow smuggles the ball out with quick feet and we have an attack on, plus he never stops working.  I think he could do with someone else with him behind Watkins to link with as Young was pretty awful tonight.  Maybe Carney could be that player.

• Like 1

All the stuff about work rate and 'being available in tight spaces', to me sounds basic. He should be doing this stuff (especially in a Gerrard team), as a matter of course.

My original comment asked for evidence of standout contributions. We bought him to be the kind of player he was at Norwich last season, showing performances that would ultimately earn him a call up to the Argentina squad.

Sure, that was a different team in a different league, which affords him some time to adjust at Villa, but we aren't seeing anything close to the hoped for levels, yet.

Based on what he has shown before, I was hoping for more game changing skills, feints, dummies and threaded passes like the one that put El Ghazi in, before he set up McGinn for his pearler against Palace. That is a standout contribution for a player with his ability and role in the team. We need more of these.

Can he still come good? Yes, he can and I hope he does. The questions about him are challenging, but fair. My main concerns relate to his stature and the amount of time he seems to want on the ball, which you just don't get in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

I thought he played really well. Some of his passes in the first half were sublime and his work rate and effectiveness in getting and retaining the ball were excellent.

I also liked his respect to Norwich applauding all the stands at the end. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

Hes never going to be the world beating player that Norwich thought he was due to his lack of pace and outright strength. BUT his speed of thought when passing is unmatched in our squad. He is a truly brilliant passer of the ball and as he gets used to his new position and the players around him get better at implementing Gerrards gameplan he will thrive . For every game he plays he is getting less and less frustrating in my eyes and that is only a good thing as the quality is starting to shine through. 

• Like 3

Â