Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Probably. But you don’t convince a player like Coutinho to join permanently if you don’t play him.  He did try them both in certain games but it didn’t work great. He rotated them at times. 

I like Emi and I know he will play a lot this season. Most fans that have turned him in to Messi are just looking for any excuse they can to have a dig a Gerrard.

Would you say it’s a dig or frustration because clearly there were times, when he should have started but didn’t ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

You do know we were the only team in for Coutinho. Not exactly easy to buy players on big contracts

Coutinho is nothing to do with my OP. You’re right about  big contracts though, that’s why all these brilliant players never move clubs 👀 

17 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Coutinhos like a good sauce, add it to a meal and it makes it better. Sauce on its own and its awful. Buendia is our meal. 

We are relying on Coutinho to be the creative fulcrum making everything happen taking the ball out of defence being the centre of the action when he needs to be the end of the action whether its playing a killer ball or jinking pass one or 2 defenders to get a shot off. But he can't be the one expect to drive us upfield it's not his game. He's a man of moments. 

So shall we keep Bailey out? For me, if Bailey fulfilled his potential he's one of the first names in the sheet. To add Buendia to the mix, we'd lose a certain presence in the midfield. Will I play Buendia or Phil? I'm not really sure. But I think we need to try different things depending on the opposition.

Love Emi and believe we should work out a way for him to start most games.

However, I can remember many instances when he has started games and not been all that great. Out of position and giving the ball away quite a lot. So I can understand some reservations from the coaching staff about him starting.

• Like 1

It doesn’t have to be a binary discussion and any comment downplaying the signing of Coutinho is quite frankly ridiculous. Any other manager in our history offers Coutinho the same deal and he would never sign for us. He only signed due to his trust in Gerrard. Also we won’t see the best of Coutinho until we have a striker that is able to put away the numerous chances that he will create.

It’s great to finally have quality options and to pick two from Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey. 

17 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

It doesn’t have to be a binary discussion and any comment downplaying the signing of Coutinho is quite frankly ridiculous. Any other manager in our history offers Coutinho the same deal and he would never sign for us. He only signed due to his trust in Gerrard. Also we won’t see the best of Coutinho until we have a striker that is able to put away the numerous chances that he will create.

It’s great to finally have quality options and to pick two from Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey. 

I agree with most of this to be honest, but Coutinho's chance creation stats were kind of average last season. Someone else put it perfectly, he's a moments player. He's not constantly putting it on a plate like Emi or Jack before him. He does it in key spurts. Which ties into your point that the strikers need to be more clinical to capitalise on these moments.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I agree with most of this to be honest, but Coutinho's chance creation stats were kind of average last season. Someone else put it perfectly, he's a moments player. He's not constantly putting it on a plate like Emi or Jack before him. He does it in key spurts. Which ties into your point that the strikers need to be more clinical to capitalise on these moments.

I don't think this is true.

For Coutinho:

image.png.54d88c8a7f16da386933ac94ce535214.png

For Buendia: 

image.png.eb4832e3328d1c9a449e0cce6260d72a.png

There's not much difference between the two last season overall. However I believe Buendia's numbers were better across the second half of last season, the issue is that his numbers were kind of mediocre in the first half of the season so it averages out. 

Another thing to note is that just because a player themselves has high creation numbers, doesn't necessarily mean the team itself is creating more. When Buendia is on the field, we created on average of 1.13xG per 90(14th place compared to other teams' whole season average) compared to Coutinho's 1.25xG per 90 last season.(10th place compared to other teams' whole season average).

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't think this is true.

For Coutinho:

image.png.54d88c8a7f16da386933ac94ce535214.png

For Buendia: 

image.png.eb4832e3328d1c9a449e0cce6260d72a.png

There's not much difference between the two last season overall. However I believe Buendia's numbers were better across the second half of last season, the issue is that his numbers were kind of mediocre in the first half of the season so it averages out. 

Another thing to note is that just because a player themselves has high creation numbers, doesn't necessarily mean the team itself is creating more. When Buendia is on the field, we created on average of 1.13xG per 90(14th place compared to other teams' whole season average) compared to Coutinho's 1.25xG per 90 last season.(10th place compared to other teams' whole season average).

I think the other point to note is Buendia was coming back from injury the start of last season, and largely played the first third of the season in a team that had no clue what shape it was. A team that was failing to accommodate both Ings and Watkins, who were also both misfiring.

So Emi's /90 numbers are going to be brought down by that.

But, its fair to say neither of them have bad stats in this department, and they are both capable of better than what we saw last season.

I listened to Gerrards full comments on Emi and he does sound positive on him.  It's fair to say he sees him as a great player. He just has to figure out a way to get the best out of him, Phil, and now Bailey. We're in a great position with the competition for places we have there. We need to hope Emi doesn't get frustrated with the rotation, and that we see the team working whoever we play there.

7 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

So shall we keep Bailey out? For me, if Bailey fulfilled his potential he's one of the first names in the sheet. To add Buendia to the mix, we'd lose a certain presence in the midfield. Will I play Buendia or Phil? I'm not really sure. But I think we need to try different things depending on the opposition.

Exactly. We can't just have one style of play with a set in stone first XI. The formation and starters should be flexible for the conditions of the next match, and ultimately that lies with the coaching staff

On 02/08/2022 at 22:47, useless said:

5 goals and 14 assists in 71 Premier League appearances it's not particulary great and something he needs to improve upon, especially the goal scoring side of things.

Instead of assists chances created would be a more accurate barometer to judge a player by. 

Jonno from accounts has missed about 45535 chances that I’ve created for him in our weekly Powerleague game and scored 10. 

Buendia has the equivalent of Jonno playing up front for him. If it was Kane or Salah /Mane etc he’d have 15-20 assists a season. Minimum. 

10 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think we should play all 3. Whether it be as a full on front 3. Or with Buendia deeper as an 8. Which I believe with his work rate and physicality he could do. Or in a 4-2-3-1. Personally I think the front 3 is the better of the 2 given Watkins and Ings misfiring.

Edited by MotoMkali

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

He might be a marketing dream but he has helped ruin the balance of the team. Ollie best strength is pressing, Ings/Buendia are good pressers as well but Coutinho in the team it nullifies that. Our best form and football under Gerrard was before Coutinho arrived

Except that SG isn't really playing a high press anyway. I'd call it more a middle block.

13 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I think we should play all 3. Whether it be as a full on front 3. Or with Buendia deeper as an 8. Which I believe with his work rate and physicality he could do. Or in a 4-2-3-1. Personally I think the front 3 is the better of the 2 given Watkins and Ings misfiring.

If we did this It wouldnt put much pressure on their center backs leaving them time to push up and support their midfield, Watkins and Ings both work the defenders forcing them to release the ball early and hand us possession.

The last thing we want is a ping pong ball style game, we need to force them to release the ball early from the back and win and keep possession. 

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

If we did this It wouldnt put much pressure on their center backs leaving them time to push up and support their midfield, Watkins and Ings both work the defenders forcing them to release the ball early and hand us possession.

The last thing we want is a ping pong ball style game, we need to force them to release the ball early from the back and win and keep possession. 

You say that as if that doesn't already happen. 

53 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

You say that as if that doesn't already happen. 

It did happen but Kamara, Carlos have been brought in to try and help us cut it out and keep possession. 

Putting pressure on the oppositions defenders ......Beundia does it, Bailey is unknown in this department and Coutinho doesn't do it very well but the masters at it are Watkins closely followed by Ings. 

Edited by tinker

Â