Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Came over to the away fans at the end of the game and threw his shirt into the crowd.

Looked thoroughly (and quite rightfully) pissed off.

He's been our best player of late, and didn't really deserve to be dropped or not brought on instead of Young.

Saying all of that, 3 points is 3 points at this stage of the season. 

I want all our players to be disappointed not to play, but equally I think even an ‘undeserved’ absence can have huge positive effects. None of them should be playing every game.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

If Gerrard is going to keep 2 up top I'd go with Coutinho and Watkins with Buendia the ACM.

I want him to play but Gerrard wil stick with Ings and Watkins until it either fails or one gets injured. 

19 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Came over to the away fans at the end of the game and threw his shirt into the crowd.

Looked thoroughly (and quite rightfully) pissed off.

He's been our best player of late, and didn't really deserve to be dropped or not brought on instead of Young.

Saying all of that, 3 points is 3 points at this stage of the season. 

Yes it was very noticeable wasn’t it.

I do think however it may also be a case of SG protecting him - he was doubtful for the Toon game i believe.

I can understand why anyone would be frustrated to be dropped after a decent run of perosnal form; but it;s his job to make the passes, create the chances, open the doors that were missing v Watford and Newcastle. Either he or Coutinho had to pay the price for being unable to do it. The game before Coutinho scored and laid on two so had more brownie points in the locker than Buendia. Who, if we're brutally honest, is still not giving is the 90 minute week-in week out performances a £30+m  player should be. 

We still don't look quite right and it maybe that at some point it will be Bailey that gets the chance before Buendia. This is top level elite sport. You shouldn't get many chances without brownie points in the bag, so when you do get the shirt you don't let your performances lose it.

Was disappointed pre-game to see him dropped however I just think we are not used to having depth where we can have Buendia and Bailey sitting on the bench and not even coming on. Guess Gerrard will play the same system this weekend since it won but going forward i've got no problem with rotating our attackers to suit that particular game. 

If we dont buy Coutinho I have a problem with the loan  signing because Buendia needs game time and I think now Gerrard isnt going to pick him and Coutinho in the same side much. 

• Like 2

On 27/02/2022 at 17:53, Adam2003 said:

I want all our players to be disappointed not to play, but equally I think even an ‘undeserved’ absence can have huge positive effects. None of them should be playing every game.

Even Coutinho should be rested from time to time. Any club with aspirations should rotate their players.

• Like 3

Him not playing against Brighton was a tactical thing, we wanted to defend high up the pitch to stop them from playing out from the back, which is why both Ings and Watkins started, so both of them could press their central defenders, we wouldn't have been able to do that to the same degree playing two No.10s and one striker, especially as Buendia likes to drop deep even by a number ten's standards, in his stead we played Ings who stayed further up the pitch and helped alongside Watkins to stop them playing out from the back, Coutinho did a similar job on Bissouma.

Of course we could have dropped Coutinho instead of Buendia, but I thought Coutinho was the better player against Watford looking more likely to score or create something, so I don't think he deserved to be dropped out of the two of them and he justified his inclusion against Brighton with a good performance albeit maybe not the kind of performance normally associated with him.

It might be that Gerrard decides to stick with a winning team for now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Buendia back for Southampton as I don't think they play out from the back the way Brighton do, so having the two strikers pressing high up the pitch won't be as necessary.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, useless said:

Him not playing against Brighton was a tactical thing, we wanted to defend high up the pitch to stop them from playing out from the back, which is why both Ings and Watkins started, so both of them could press their central defenders, we wouldn't have been able to do that to the same degree playing two No.10s and one striker, especially as Buendia likes to drop deep even by a number ten's standards, in his stead we played Ings who stayed further up the pitch and helped alongside Watkins to stop them playing out from the back, Coutinho did a similar job on Bissouma.

Of course we could have dropped Coutinho instead of Buendia, but I thought Coutinho was the better player against Watford looking more likely to score or create something, so I don't think he deserved to be dropped out of the two of them and he justified his inclusion against Brighton with a good performance albeit maybe not the kind of performance normally associated with him.

It might be that Gerrard decides to stick with a winning team for now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Buendia back for Southampton as I don't think they play out from the back the way Brighton do, so having the two strikers pressing high up the pitch won't be as necessary.

I don't think SG will just blindly go with sub standard performance.....so everyone is capable of coming off and being replaced.

Its a good policy to adopt....and when we get more reinforcements it will happen more.

19 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think SG will just blindly go with sub standard performance.....so everyone is capable of coming off and being replaced.

Its a good policy to adopt....and when we get more reinforcements it will happen more.

he wasnt alone though,  but he has more options in that area of the pitch than in midfield. Basically Luiz. MgGinn and Ramsey are the best three midfield players so even when they are not performing they keep their places 

• Like 1

I am not sure what to make of Emi B

I think he has improved since him joining us, but still not totally convinced.

I think he needs to move the ball a bit quicker and maybe decisions need to be more concise/precise.....I don't see those killer passes through the lines he used to do for Pukki at Norwich......maybe its the runners we have not making those same runs.

He is not the biggest of players, so he needs to find a way of not being caught on the ball, so often.

I think for the money, I was hoping for a bit more effectiveness.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am not sure what to make of Emi B

I think he has improved since him joining us, but still not totally convinced.

I think he needs to move the ball a bit quicker and maybe decisions need to be more concise/precise.....I don't see those killer passes through the lines he used to do for Pukki at Norwich......maybe its the runners we have not making those same runs.

He is not the biggest of players, so he needs to find a way of not being caught on the ball, so often.

I think for the money, I was hoping for a bit more effectiveness.

i think thats it.

I saw an interview with Emi where he basically said...."as soon as i got the ball at Norwich, i didnt need to look up for Pukki, i knew where he would be, i knew he would be running".

I dont think we have a player like that here, maybe bailey could?, i dont think Watkins is a line breaker.

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i think thats it.

I saw an interview with Emi where he basically said...."as soon as i got the ball at Norwich, i didnt need to look up for Pukki, i knew where he would be, i knew he would be running".

I dont think we have a player like that here, maybe bailey could?, i dont think Watkins is a line breaker.

Yeah....its down to football intelligence, we are not always blessed with it......Coutinho being an exception.

Â