Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Not a fan then, Paul?

Loved the signing based on what I saw at Narch but been very disappointed with him from the start. Yes he has improved but only from "OMG - what is that" to "he was less awful today" ..... and we have to have better players if we are to progress. He looks like a Championship player to me !

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, kevpants said:

Why would you prioritize ball retention in that position? In an 8 yes, keep the ball, keep it moving etc. He's a 10/inside forward. He's always probing and by definition playing lower % passes. A 10 with huge ball reention stats is a shit 10.

Playing "lower % passes" ? Do you mean gifting the ball to the opposition repeatedly and leaving us horribly exposed and outnumbered on the breakaway ? I'll settle for "low % passes" but I'd prefer those passes to be to Villa players !

Edited by Paul33

6 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Do you mean gifting the ball to the opposition repeatedly and leaving us horribly exposed and outnumbered on the breakaway ? 

He does this every game constantly and it's incredibly annoying.

Loses it when we're totally vulnerable and it causes issues.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Playing "lower % passes" ? Do you mean gifting the ball to the opposition repeatedly and leaving us horribly exposed and outnumbered on the breakaway ? I'll settle for "low % passes" but I'd prefer those passes to be Villa players !

A square ball out to the wing back from the centre circle is a high % pass. It will go to the player 99.999% of the time. A forward ball between two CBs into the path of a strker is a low % pass, it migh go to the player 30% of the time. Buendia plays a lot of the latter. Nakamba, for example, plays a lot of the former. You can't compare their stats and say Nakamba is a better passer. Actually watching the game proved that's not the case.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rolta said:

The alternative way of looking at this is we look much more dangerous when he's on the pitch because of the good work he does, and when he goes off, there's a player in his place who loses the ball just as much but has nowhere near the same level of incision. He is a bit frustrating, but hopefully he continues in the direction he's going and that should get less and less of a problem.

I agree, I like him, i actually think he just lacks a bit of composure in those simple moments and he just rushes it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul33 said:

As for "tenacity" ..... I'll take it you offered that with a wry smile on your face. Seen more tenacity from a 12 year old ! 

Over the past year in his position he's in the top 5% in Europe for tackles won and also puts in high numbers for number of pressures made per 90. You must know some tenacious children in that case.

• Like 3

I actually think he's been progressively getting better since half time of the Southampton debacle. I'm really hoping his form continues to improve as he's starting to have a real impact for us.

I'd disagree with the notion that he gives it away so often because he's always trying incisive/risky balls. 2 or 3 times a half he surrenders possession inexplicably just by taking a poor touch or taking his eye off the ball, he really needs to cut this out. It's so frustrating and puts us immediately on the back foot.

24 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Over the past year in his position he's in the top 5% in Europe for tackles won and also puts in high numbers for number of pressures made per 90. You must know some tenacious children in that case.

Paul has seen more tenacity from a 12 year old but everyone else has seen less tenacity from 95% of all attacking midfielders

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That through ball to Ings before the disallowed Watkins goal was inch perfect. How many players in this league can execute that, as regularly as he does? De Bruyne. And then...honestly think that's it.

It was really good, annoying Ings didn't delay his run a bit.

Similar to what he did v Brentford so he's starting to get a bigger influence on our play now and Coutinho coming in should help give him more space to operate in final third.

• Like 2

Really looking forward to seeing him link up with Coutinho.

Buendia seems to get annoyed easily when some of ours players aren’t on his wavelength or when they don’t react as quickly as him. I think Coutinho and him will love playing together behind either Watkins or Ings.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

Â