Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/05/21 at 22:59

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

A tough match and Everton had more to play for, we were better first-half they were better second-half.

I just hope we can scrape tenth now.

Going to be tough. Leeds have three very winnable games. We have to beat Palace to have any chance. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Hope I don't win the chelsea ballot

As you are implying dont want to go, i'll take first dibs and the tickets off you,

I hope you win.

DM me if you do. 

• Like 3

I was looking at the first team squad and contracts due to expire and realised we are pretty short.

Gk

Emiliano Martínez Jun 30, 2024

Tom Heaton Jun 30, 2021

Jed Steer Jun 30, 2023

We're probably happy leaving Steer as No. 2, but do we have a young keeper to step in as No. 3?  I don't think so, so we probably need a keeper.

CB

Tyrone Mings Jun 30, 2024

Ezri Konsa Jun 30, 2026

Kortney Hause Jun 30, 2022

Björn Engels Jun 30, 2024

Hause near the end of his contract, Engels completely out of favour.  I'm not Mings' biggest fan.  Think we need 2 CBs here.

LB

Matt Targett Jun 30, 2025

Neil Taylor Jun 30, 2021

Taylor's contract is up, so we need a LB here.

RB

Matty Cash Jun 30, 2025

Ahmed Elmohamady Jun 30, 2021

Fredric Guilbert Jun 30, 2025

Elmo out of contract, Fred out of favour, think we need a RB here.

CM

Douglas Luiz Jun 30, 2023

Marvelous Nakamba Jun 30, 2024

John McGinn Jun 30, 2025

Ross Barkley May 31, 2021

Morgan Sanson Jun 30, 2025

Jacob Ramsey Jun 30, 2025

Unfortunately, I don't think any of our cms are good enough to start every week.  McGinn and Luiz are looking like squad players, jury is out on Sanson.  Ramsey needs time to mature.

3 new cms for me here.

LW

Jack Grealish Jun 30, 2025

Trezeguet Jun 30, 2023

We've really missed Jack on the left and Trez has tried but he really isn't good enough.  A LW is needed.

RW

Bertrand Traoré Jun 30, 2024

Anwar El Ghazi Jun 30, 2023

Traore and El Ghazi both have shown glimpses, but both lack consistency, and both lack the defensive quality expected in our style of play.  We might even need 2 here, but at least 1.

CF

Ollie Watkins Jun 30, 2025

Wesley Jun 30, 2024

Keinan Davis Jun 30, 2024

Watkins has had a great season, but I still don't see him as a lone striker.  We still don't know what Wesley can bring after his injury, and Keinan is not the answer.  We need another striker.

Practically a full new team needed over the summer.  If we got half that number, we will have done well.  But unless the additions are of a level that they walk into the first team, we are going to struggle to replicate this seasons performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Such a glaring lack of quality up top, especially first half when we actually had the ball in attacking positions.  Jack comes on and we barely get the ball up there.  Watkins will be a very welcome return on Sunday.

I don't get how anyone can watch that and think the issue is up top. In the final third yes. Up top no.

AEG, Traore, Barkley was a far bigger steaming pile of shit today than Davis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't get how anyone can watch that and think the issue is up top. In the final third yes. Up top no.

AEG, Traore, Barkley was a far bigger steaming pile of shit today than Davis.

Well by up top I meant those four, our attacking players.  Wasn’t singling Davis out but like the others (apart from Traore generally) he’s nowhere near good enough. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I was looking at the first team squad and contracts due to expire and realised we are pretty short.

Gk

Emiliano Martínez Jun 30, 2024

Tom Heaton Jun 30, 2021

Jed Steer Jun 30, 2023

We're probably happy leaving Steer as No. 2, but do we have a young keeper to step in as No. 3?  I don't think so, so we probably need a keeper.

CB

Tyrone Mings Jun 30, 2024

Ezri Konsa Jun 30, 2026

Kortney Hause Jun 30, 2022

Björn Engels Jun 30, 2024

Hause near the end of his contract, Engels completely out of favour.  I'm not Mings' biggest fan.  Think we need 2 CBs here.

LB

Matt Targett Jun 30, 2025

Neil Taylor Jun 30, 2021

Taylor's contract is up, so we need a LB here.

RB

Matty Cash Jun 30, 2025

Ahmed Elmohamady Jun 30, 2021

Fredric Guilbert Jun 30, 2025

Elmo out of contract, Fred out of favour, think we need a RB here.

CM

Douglas Luiz Jun 30, 2023

Marvelous Nakamba Jun 30, 2024

John McGinn Jun 30, 2025

Ross Barkley May 31, 2021

Morgan Sanson Jun 30, 2025

Jacob Ramsey Jun 30, 2025

Unfortunately, I don't think any of our cms are good enough to start every week.  McGinn and Luiz are looking like squad players, jury is out on Sanson.  Ramsey needs time to mature.

3 new cms for me here.

LW

Jack Grealish Jun 30, 2025

Trezeguet Jun 30, 2023

We've really missed Jack on the left and Trez has tried but he really isn't good enough.  A LW is needed.

RW

Bertrand Traoré Jun 30, 2024

Anwar El Ghazi Jun 30, 2023

Traore and El Ghazi both have shown glimpses, but both lack consistency, and both lack the defensive quality expected in our style of play.  We might even need 2 here, but at least 1.

CF

Ollie Watkins Jun 30, 2025

Wesley Jun 30, 2024

Keinan Davis Jun 30, 2024

Watkins has had a great season, but I still don't see him as a lone striker.  We still don't know what Wesley can bring after his injury, and Keinan is not the answer.  We need another striker.

Practically a full new team needed over the summer.  If we got half that number, we will have done well.  But unless the additions are of a level that they walk into the first team, we are going to struggle to replicate this seasons performance.

How would this be possible, it takes time to build the kind of squad we want (need) so why can’t the fan base give this ? Instead of wanting to be Man City overnight ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, smg said:

How would this be possible, it takes time to build the kind of squad we want (need) so why can’t the fan base give this ? Instead of wanting to be Man City overnight ?

Did you miss the bit where i said 6 would mean we were had done well?  4 of those just cover the players whose contracts are expiring.  Not really a big ask to improve on 2 players is it?

Edited by flashingqwerty
Bad maths
  • Confused 1

I will just never understand why a manager wouldn't introduce some exciting youth from the bench instead of the tried and not-so-trusted in a nothing game like this. What did we learn? Nothing. What did we gain? Nothing, really. There is simply no way we'll be parting with money for Barkley, and Traore and AEG look very much like squad players for next season, so this HAS to be the perfect opportunity to look at the youth prospects sat pointlessly on the bench.

12 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I will just never understand why a manager wouldn't introduce some exciting youth from the bench instead of the tried and not-so-trusted in a nothing game like this. What did we learn? Nothing. What did we gain? Nothing, really. There is simply no way we'll be parting with money for Barkley, and Traore and AEG look very much like squad players for next season, so this HAS to be the perfect opportunity to look at the youth prospects sat pointlessly on the bench.

I think they’ll all be involved in the youth cup game tomorrow night, so I was surprised they were even on the bench to be fair.

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

As you are implying dont want to go, i'll take first dibs and the tickets off you,

I hope you win.

DM me if you do. 

Only kiddin

The tickets won't be transferable - hence you have to upload a photo id.

Went for Cash motm but no real standout performances. Found it a very odd game and difficult to assess. First half we were the better side and seemed to get into good positions in the final third but then poor decision making and a lack of composure or quality meant the ‘situations’ didn’t materialise into clear cut chances. Barkley a few times couldn’t get his feet right on a couple of occasions (as an aside Barkley reminds me of Rooney in his later career, when he still obviously possessed quality but didn’t have the legs, fitness or zip to get shots off quickly or give defenders a concern that they couldn’t get beaten one on one). Second half everton had the better chances but we didn’t play too bad.

- Davis, loan him to the champ so we can actually know whether he can do a job or not, he needs first team football not another season where he gets 100 mins all season

- back 5 is very very solid, organised and professional unit, gives us a chance in any game we play and credit to dean and the staff for the improvement this season

- Bert and Anwar, sigh, so powderpuff, I know they’re wingers but they don’t half sheirk som challenges, a quality upgrade in the winger position is needed, let’s break the bank for Dwight McNeil 

- McGinn love the guys passion and endeavour what a bloke but please stop spraying the ball to the oppo, the passing lately has been woeful 

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Meh.

Missed opportunity to get Chukuwemeka on to the pitch, I felt he could have come on instead of Ramsey who to date, has had little impact on games despite being relatively tidy in his play.

Davis did okay but not as much as I was hoping for, service into him was largely poor though and no one ran on beyond him for the flicks off the long balls.

Barkley was terrible in possession, an absolute liability, it seems like he knows it too and at least he seems to care, no idea why he’s developed such heavy/slow legs though, it’s like his brain and feet are connected by dial-up.

McGinn was pretty good and the defence solid enough.

Classic end of season mid table match.

isn't he playing tomorrow night in the FA Youth cup semi final?

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've got to admit to being baffled by that Everton performance - a win would have put them sixth and above Liverpool. It's a massive chance for them to steal a march over Spurs and their local rivals for that second Europa League spot. It's a massive, massive game for them, one with the potential to change their future.

....and they were sloppy, uninspired and poor, much like ourselves.

Maybe it was something in the water.

I thought this. Don’t really mind our lads being on the beach but was very confused that they seemed to have got there first and put their towels down when they are supposed to be chasing Europe.

6 hours ago, M_Afro said:

We will finish above Palace, Southampton, Newcastle and Burnley but not by much. Our second half of the season has been bloody awful.

I mean I would think we will be 10 points ahead of at least a couple of them but more to the point... while I agree our second half has been poor... I had forgotten Southampton were ahead of us in January! What a disaster they have had that we are moaning and yet have gone from 3 points behind to 9 points ahead of  them in that time - they could be in trouble next year.

4 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

People have made the FA Youth Cup point already so I won’t repeat it but I would just add - while I would happily have them subbed on to have a look at them, they aren’t ‘pointlessly’ sat on the bench even if they don’t come on. It’s a stage that managers go through with pretty much all young players as they get them used to being around the first team. And to the point I said I wouldn’t repeat - I would like to see a couple of them get a run in the last three games but I would rather they win the Youth Cup after a season’s work on their part. They deserve to prioritise that and then show what they can do in preseason.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think the beach references have reached their limit. 

With a dull game like that, it surfs us right.

• Thanks 1

I do love reading the fan forums from opposition.

page-91

The difference from Toffs fans from our previous match and yesterday's is crackers. Last match had Everton completely respecting us in there forum, the match yesterday is them hating us.

Takeaway from Everton fan forum:

Martinez is a boss.

Grealish is back to being hated.

Mcginn should of been off.

Luiz is a ball magnet.

Ming's is hated, should of been off and he's a shithouse for making an unbelievable match saving defence when he should of been off.

Barkley is crap (we know that), but hey he could of been our Grealish if he'd of stayed at Everton- the best comment yet 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry but if you want to be in Europe you have to beat these mid table teams. - What have I missed but your team Everton are at best a mid table team 🤣

Villa are diving.

Villa and there play acting is terrible.

Can not stand this Villa side, they got away with complete murder tonight.

Atkinson and the linesmen are blind because they did not see Luiz drag down our player.

Dean Smith looks like Ben Grimm from fantastic four- I fail to see a comparison 🤣

There was absolutely none of this from the same bunch of fans when we beat them. I'm starting to wonder if this is a thing because Grealish is our player, the moment he comes back it all starts against us lol.

Edited by Dave-R

Â