VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Snailmageddon.

Heroic snail action in the Melodic Black Metal style. Utterly preposterous, but strangely not entirely shit.

Imagine pitching this at a record company.

Bandcamp's bananas, in a good way.

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Utterly mental. Really couldn't fathom it. Out of interest let's say you go to Probe and buy a new standard LP. Not limited or a double, just a new release, how much is the normal price. I genuinely don't know as new releases I buy on CD and back catalogue tends to be second hand. 

Usually around the £20 mark, sometimes slightly more. HMV seem to think £28 is a standard album price and £40 for a double, madness

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Another one I don't 'get': Prince. I keep reading about his genius, but his music mostly leaves me cold. Clearly a very talented musician, but I'd have liked him more if he was simply a lead guitarist in somebody else's band.  

Agree, I see that he was talented but the music mainly does nothing for me, he's not even in that category of I'd like a Greatest Hits album of his. His music doesn't even annoy me (and that isn't a good thing)

Very much in the same category as Kate Bush for me.

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Agree, I see that he was talented but the music mainly does nothing for me, he's not even in that category of I'd like a Greatest Hits album of his. His music doesn't even annoy me (and that isn't a good thing)

Very much in the same category as Kate Bush for me.

Yes, good comparison. I have friends who worship KB, and I'll concede she's got something. I just don't much like that something. 

• Like 1

Kate Bush is great. But only for a ‘greatest hits’ playlist for me, not full catalogue.

I agree about Prince. I recognise the talent, but have no interest in the music.

In other news, I’m getting more and more into hip hop and rap music lately. I’ve been listening to guys like AFRO and Rakim a lot. New territory for me. Not that I’ve ever had anything against hip hop, but I’ve never actively listened to it very much either, before now. 

I just thought @mjmooney would like that 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are all wrong about Prince obviously. For me between For You and LoveSexy, something like 10 albums, very little fat. Could be argued that there is very little duff music all the way up to Emancipation or Chaos and Disorder. Hell of a talent. I stopped dead with Chaos and Disorder so maybe it was the breakwater. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

Kate Bush is great. But only for a ‘greatest hits’ playlist for me, not full catalogue.

In other news, I’m getting more and more into hip hop and rap music lately. I’ve been listening to guys like AFRO and Rakim a lot. New territory for me. Not that I’ve ever had anything against hip hop, but I’ve never actively listened to it very much either, before now. 

I just thought @mjmooney would like that 😊

53c9b1c01e00dfe36a367f0044fc78ac5c06e66414e18eb6761ecb418f7f0fc0.jpg

• Haha 3

This is yet another reason why I hate social media, I spotted this exchange yesterday. It is in response to some asking for record shop reccomendations in Liverpool

The reviews are from Google Maps

1. The man sold you some Prince records and you want him to like those records he's selling you, you literally want him to lie to you to make you feel better.

2. The Medwyn Williams one says in full... "Last visited 2 weeks ago as I was visiting Liverpool for a record fair at the Bluecoat building next door to Probe. The owner was standing at the doorway and didn't bother standing aside as I entered and as ever neither greeted or acknowledged me in any way. This is about the 10th and possibly the last time I have visited the shop. Has a decent selection of mostly indie records which are reasonably well priced but I'd rather give my money to a record shop that at least has the requisite "effort profile" to acknowledge my existence. If you like feeling unwelcome and being treated like you don't exist then this is THE record shop for you." - What a narcisistic prick, acknowledge my existence, go on make me buy something, the kind of prick that thinks every record shop is like the one in that film

3. You literally walked past the shop and reviewed it - weapon

4. It has CDs

5. Wut?

6. Another narcisist

I even spotted this one...

"Modest but decent jazz selection. Intended to buy a 1960s original pressing today but the miserable guy on the counter has such a problem with customer service that I couldn’t part with the cash and I left minus the vinyl. Shame really." - If Probe ever had a 1960s original pressing of anything I'd be absolutely shocked, it doesn't do second-hand and wasn't opened until the mid-'70s

In between all those reviews are loads of good positive ones by the way. Social Media is full of asshats

And for the records Bob and the Prof are miserable, so what, they also know their stuff. I can imagine the Prince fan buying his records and then trying to engage Bob in a conversation about how wonderful Prince is, Bob's just saying he personally thinks Prince is over-rated, it is his opinion (mine too - see above), people who want to be pampered and agreed with because the customer is always right, really do my head in.

And if they think Bob's rude, they don't remember the likes of Pete Wylie and Pete Burns working behind the counter. Pete Burns would famously refuse to serve you something if he thought it was shit and Wylie would waffle on for hours before he sold you anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

See, I’ve had the opposite problem with Spillers.

There was one rare occasion I went there with my missus. This would never ordinarily happen. She goes to the bookshop or Primark, I go to Spillers. It’s been that way since the reformation. Mahoosive mistake to change this routine. We walked in and I was greeted with ‘ah Chris, life saver, can you watch the shop for 2 minutes, I just need to pop out I’ll be straight back, your stuff is in the box with your name on it’.

A mixed bag of a day. On the one hand, I got to run a record shop for 2 minutes. On the other hand, my missus realised they knew my name and there was a box of records with my name on it.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

See, I’ve had the opposite problem with Spillers.

There was one rare occasion I went there with my missus. This would never ordinarily happen. She goes to the bookshop or Primark, I go to Spillers. It’s been that way since the reformation. Mahoosive mistake to change this routine. We walked in and I was greeted with ‘ah Chris, life saver, can you watch the shop for 2 minutes, I just need to pop out I’ll be straight back, your stuff is in the box with your name on it’.

A mixed bag of a day. On the one hand, I got to run a record shop for 2 minutes. On the other hand, my missus realised they knew my name and there was a box of records with my name on it.

Ah, I've done the run the shop for two minutes a few times as Probe has no toilet for the staff, so they have to use the Toilets in the Bluecoat next door (its part of the bluecoat but with a separate entrance) but fortunately the missus knows I'm part of the furniture in there and that they do save records for me and Bob is savvy enough not to mention how much I spend in there

I have been greeted with "Thank f*** you've come in I'm about to piss myself"

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

there was a box of records with my name on it.

I used to have that with Gerol's Records in Leeds. I'd walk in and yer man's face would light up and he'd say "I've been saving this lot for you", and heave out a huge box of albums. Wallet took a hit and I had to come up with a plan to smuggle them into the house. They're worse than drug dealers.  :)

FB_IMG_1635166899436.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, veloman said:

Has anyone got / ever bought one of those 'direct cut' LPs ? There was a shop near The Swan at Yardley that sold them. I had one - by Stanley Clarke, but ex took it with her !!!!

Done on a lathe machine?

There's definitely a vinyl shortage atm caused by not enough pressing plants. I had to buy an album on CD earlier because the vinyl version won't be released until next year and another album I picked up today was released months ago but only came out on vinyl in the last couple of weeks. These aren't records on really obscure labels or unheard of bands

@mjmooney guitarist, folk, on BBC4 now, 70s called Dave Evans. Having trouble locating him and his music as other musicians of the same name. Reminds me of Richard Thompson. Can you assist. Would like to buy a CD but Amazon says oh here's a thousand people called Dave Evans.  

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

@mjmooney guitarist, folk, on BBC4 now, 70s called Dave Evans. Having trouble locating him and his music as other musicians of the same name. Reminds me of Richard Thompson. Can you assist. Would like to buy a CD but Amazon says oh here's a thousand people called Dave Evans.  

This one?

• Like 1

Â