VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, I really like Rick Beato, but he loses me in musical theory very quickly. 

He is really accomplished and skilled but makes the theory stuff seem not too daunting for the layperson, IMO.

He also doesn't talk down to his viewers which I appreciate. And although he's a rock guy, he's also really versed in jazz and pop and makes no apologies. 

Classic FM is being forced to make plans without Nigel Kennedy, with the offbeat British violinist saying that he’s pulled out of a gig that the UK radio station is hosting because his proposed Jimi Hendrix tribute was deemed to be unsuitable for the Classic FM audience.

Kennedy had planned to collaborate with Chineke!, an orchestra of young black and ethnically diverse musicians, on a performance of Hendrix’s Little Wing at this Wednesday’s Royal Albert Hall concert.

However, Classic FM is reported to have objected to his choice of material, with the violinist alleging that they wanted him to play Vivaldi’s Four Seasons instead.

In response, Kennedy argued: “This is musical segregation. If it was applied to people, it would be illegal. If that type of mentality is rampant in the arts, then we still haven’t fixed the problem of prejudice. This is much more serious than my feathers being a bit ruffled. Prejudice in music is completely dreadful. They’re effectively saying that Hendrix is all right in the Marquee Club, but not in the Albert Hall.”

Kennedy’s love of Hendrix is well-documented. In 1999, he released The Kennedy Experience, an album of improvisations inspired by the guitarist’s recordings. He had planned to interpret Little Wing in the style of English composer Ralph Vaughn Williams.

Kennedy said that he had waived his fee to work with Chineke!, though they would have been paid. He also objected to being told that he had to perform with a conductor, which he says he’s never done, and claims he wouldn’t have received adequate rehearsal time.

Chineke! Founder Chi-chi Nwankoku, meanwhile, sought to distance himself from the row by saying: “We had nothing to do with Nigel pulling out of this. It’s not up to us what we play in the Classic FM concert. It was decided by Classic FM, who rightly insist that repertoire played at their annual Royal Albert Hall concert is familiar to their loyal listeners. They did not want Jimi Hendrix on Classic FM. No blame should be laid at our feet.

“We were so keen to do the concert with Nigel and had agreed to his request not to have a conductor for The Four Seasons and an extra rehearsal. We’re proud of our collaborations with other genres, including Carl Craig and Stormzy.”

Classic FM is yet to comment.

Nigel Kennedy will release his memoir, Uncensored, on 4 November, alongside a CD box set of his work

Guardian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The madness of record collecting....

I'm currently playing the album Black Jesus Voice by the recently deceased Richard H Kirk so I was doing my usual looking at it on Discogs. Median price is abour £11. 600 people on Discogs have it about 300 want it. There's 1 for sale in the UK at £15

There was a 12" single released at the same time, Hipnotic / Martyrs of Palestine which I also own, so I had a look at that. Median price around £15. 300 people have it and 300 people want it. There's again one for sale in the UK at £35

Here's the thing, both tracks on the 12" are on the album plus another 4. There is nothing on the 12" that is not on the album

Prices baffle me

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just listening to led zeppelin physical graffiti on my record player. Double album. I don’t think side 1 or 2 ever got topped in terms of heavy rock. It’s so big and brash sounding. 

Custard Pie 

The Rover 

In My Time Of Dying 

Houses Of The Holy 

Trampled Underfoot 

Kashmir 

every song is gigantic. Not sure you’ll ever hear a more powerful drumming performance. Unbelievable sound they managed to get, especially Bonham on drums . 

Always **** loved the drumming on In My Time Of Dying, probably my favourite performance from bonzo, absolutely mega... In fact, I'm putting it on now, this could lead to a very messy night for me, I've been good with my drink for the past month but I feel like a decent session tonight and there is every chance this could kick it off. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Always **** loved the drumming on In My Time Of Dying, probably my favourite performance from bonzo, absolutely mega... In fact, I'm putting it on now, this could lead to a very messy night for me, I've been good with my drink for the past month but I feel like a decent session tonight and there is every chance this could kick it off. 

That’s the actual song that was playing when I posted . When Zeppelin got heavy they were heavy. The album in question was the pinnacle of the band. Went downhill after that . 

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That’s the actual song that was playing when I posted . When Zeppelin got heavy they were heavy. The album in question was the pinnacle of the band. Went downhill after that . 

Funny thing with Zeppelin is that my favourite track is probably the most Un-Zeppeliny track and that is All of my love, since I first heard the extended version on Napster when I was a kid (now known as The Hook) I **** loved it, recorded it onto a tape and played the absolute shit out of it, I don't know why that one single version of that song resonated with me so much at such a young age but when Napster died and the tape died I thought I'd never hear it again, I was **** overjoyed when they released the remastered and extended versions of the albums.

Outside of that one Since I've Been Loving You live at the BBC is my second favourite, absolutely smashes the shit out of the studio version for me, I remember buying the BBC sessions from Music Zone on my lunch break and putting it on my personal CD player or whatever you called them on my way home from work, I still remember the exact song and exactly where I was on my journey home when I got goosebumps from it that track

7 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Funny thing with Zeppelin is that my favourite track is probably the most Un-Zeppeliny track and that is All of my love, since I first heard the extended version on Napster when I was a kid (now known as The Hook) I **** loved it, recorded it onto a tape and played the absolute shit out of it, I don't know why that one single version of that song resonated with me so much at such a young age but when Napster died and the tape died I thought I'd never hear it again, I was **** overjoyed when they released the remastered and extended versions of the albums.

Outside of that one Since I've Been Loving You live at the BBC is my second favourite, absolutely smashes the shit out of the studio version for me, I remember buying the BBC sessions from Music Zone on my lunch break and putting it on my personal CD player or whatever you called them on my way home from work, I still remember the exact song and exactly where I was on my journey home when I got goosebumps from it that track

Written by Plant to his son who sadly passed away whilst he was on the bands 77 tour in the US . I don’t mind it, but the chorus is a bit repetitive. A lot of songs came alive when they were played live with Since I’ve Been Loving you being one of them .  

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Written by Plant to his son who sadly passed away whilst he was on the bands 77 tour in the US . I don’t mind it, but the chorus is a bit repetitive. A lot of songs came alive when they were played live with Since I’ve Been Loving you being one of them .  

I'm pretty sure that John Paul Jones and Bonzo absolutely hated the track but they allowed it onto the album because it was about Plants son, could have been Paige who hated it and not Bohnam, I know that JPJ openly disliked it though

oh man, I was all good, thought I was gunna call it a night and have my food and then I saw that Spotify have finally got Alex Harvey on there, they have got both Next and Framed on there, might as well just sat **** it and order me some uber eats drinks 

Â