VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

I used to have to go to Our Price in Liverpool every gig day about 4pm to pick up the remaining tickets and the money as they were one of our ticket outlets. Pain in the cooking arse, it was right next to Central Station and there was nowhere to park even in the 80s.

The manager at the time was Gary Wylie, brother of Pete (and Phil) all three of the brothers were mates of mine, all in the music biz in some shape or form and all mates from different groups of people. Having bumped into Gary a few years ago I’m probably the only person left in the world that talks to all three of them now (families huh)

Anyway, I once got off with a parking ticket outside when picking up the tickets by giving two to the copper that was about to lecture me and give me points.

Despite all that and having a mates discount, I don’t think I ever bought much there. I don’t think it was aimed at me, if it was it did a very shit job of it.

The chain store I miss the most is Fopp. We had one in Liverpool, it shut, there was one in Bristol that lasted until it got sold. You used to be able to find odd stuff in there that you couldn’t get elsewhere and it was very often cheaper that the other shops

I’ll accept there is a blurry line on what is ‘live music’. You only have to see the footage of New Order playing live on TOTP to know it’s weird now so much music can be electronic. That it can be in a laptop waiting for someone to press play.

But personally, having been to a Craig Charles ‘gig’ I would have to say he was very much the DJ playing other people’s records end of the market. Admittedly very effective at what he does, but not live music for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ll accept there is a blurry line on what is ‘live music’. You only have to see the footage of New Order playing live on TOTP to know it’s weird now so much music can be electronic. That it can be in a laptop waiting for someone to press play.

But personally, having been to a Craig Charles ‘gig’ I would have to say he was very much the DJ playing other people’s records end of the market. Admittedly very effective at what he does, but not live music for me.

As a former spinner of vinyl in public I have to agree

• Like 1

Half a chance I shall be visiting Kaleidescope Records in St Helens tomorrow, or possibly Static in Wigan.

I’d have quite liked to get back up to The Record cafe in Bradford, but that’s a bit of a stretch.

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Does anyone sell vinyl on discogs? 

Thinking of selling my 7", want to know what the traffic is like on there, if I stick something like a white stripes single on at a reasonable price will it go in 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years? 

Seriously, there's only one way to find out. Which WS 7"?

Rag and bone, the one that was 2 disc with 1 of them free in nme

For some decent ones I think plus then a lot of shit, what a waster by the libertines for example should be worth around £50, they're all from the 00s so I've got the likes of the courteeners not nineteen forever, a load of the view, pigeon detectives, bloc party, AM, the money will be up and down, its of they sell and how quick they sell that I'm interested in 

Got the smiths and jam singles box sets too 

Theyre all at my mom's house so I'm not 100% sure what I've even got yet I just know I can't be bothered with ebay 

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Rag and bone, the one that was 2 disc with 1 of them free in nme

For some decent ones I think plus then a lot of shit, what a waster by the libertines for example should be worth around £50, they're all from the 00s so I've got the likes of the courteeners not nineteen forever, a load of the view, pigeon detectives, bloc party, AM, the money will be up and down, its of they sell and how quick they sell that I'm interested in 

Got the smiths and jam singles box sets too 

Theyre all at my mom's house so I'm not 100% sure what I've even got yet I just know I can't be bothered with ebay 

Not sold anything but if you look at the items it’ll give you a guide price as to what they have been sold for and when they were last sold. 
So for example, What a Waster, I presume is the official one from Rough Trade, it last sold on 5 July 2021 for £40.00 which was “near mint”. At the moment there are 3 copies for sale as well. For those sort of prices though I think discogs is going to be a good shout. Where else were you thinking, eBay?

What you also have to consider is potential shipping costs and how much you want to charge for that. I recall when bought from some sellers on there some have had a real problem with the new(ish) set up for sellers which sets your rates for different countries. I think you could limit to UK/EU only but obviously will reduce your market.

• Like 1

I've got what a waster still sealed so yeah I'd want at least £40-50 for it

Ebay is the only alternative that I know but I'm really not an ebay fan

I'm not sure if there is another way of doing it, or if anyone has experience of walking in to say swordfish in brum and asking them to take it off me, if they will be like Rick on pawn stars, it's worth £40 so they'll give me £10 for it

I've got a stag do to fund at the end of September for context, so I don't want to put it on discogs and sit on it for 6 months either 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've got what a waster still sealed so yeah I'd want at least £40-50 for it

Ebay is the only alternative that I know but I'm really not an ebay fan

I'm not sure if there is another way of doing it, or if anyone has experience of walking in to say swordfish in brum and asking them to take it off me, if they will be like Rick on pawn stars, it's worth £40 so they'll give me £10 for it

I've got a stag do to fund at the end of September for context, so I don't want to put it on discogs and sit on it for 6 months either 

Yeah not a massive eBay fan either.

Not sure about say walking into Swordfish etc. And getting a quote but with Discogs you could go in at least with a decent rough valuation to make sure they aren’t going to take the piss with you, though you won’t get full value. Might be a good option and then you’ll know that it’ll be resold to another music fan at least and also supporting independents.

Alternatively if you pitch it at £35-40 I can see it shifting relatively quickly - just depends on whether those wanting it have already bought or not.  There’s also a collection/wanted numbers. At the moment there’s 418 that want that vinyl vs 409 that have got it. When it’s on a want list, when something new comes in it’ll be on an email list to them which is sent every day with various items from their list. Just relies on people bothering to check their emails!

• Like 1

So, fave band Alabama 3 announced a new album back in about March, looking for advance purchases via all the usual social media routes. A couple of mates got straight on it, telling me the album had been announced with a June release and they’d already paid up.

I congratulated them, but said I’d probably leave it until the album is real, as they have form. They’re a lovely bunch of lads, but giving them an advance is probably not sound business sense as they won’t be able to work on the record until they’ve snorted and popped and drunk all the money.

Then, in May they announced the June release date was postponed to July. Very quickly within another week, announcing the exact release date in July would be 23rd August.

They’ve just announced it will now be late September.

I ordered my copy only recently, once they got a legit ‘shop’ set up that will only be taking my money once they are ready for posting. I’ll still only believe it when I see it, but at least I didn’t give them £25 back in March.

Lovable pissed up buggers.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So, fave band Alabama 3 announced a new album back in about March, looking for advance purchases via all the usual social media routes. A couple of mates got straight on it, telling me the album had been announced with a June release and they’d already paid up.

I congratulated them, but said I’d probably leave it until the album is real, as they have form. They’re a lovely bunch of lads, but giving them an advance is probably not sound business sense as they won’t be able to work on the record until they’ve snorted and popped and drunk all the money.

Then, in May they announced the June release date was postponed to July. Very quickly within another week, announcing the exact release date in July would be 23rd August.

They’ve just announced it will now be late September.

I ordered my copy only recently, once they got a legit ‘shop’ set up that will only be taking my money once they are ready for posting. I’ll still only believe it when I see it, but at least I didn’t give them £25 back in March.

Lovable pissed up buggers.

Kids stuff nowadays . Back in the day.....

Remembering when Black Sabbath spent more on cocaine while making 'Vol. 4' than on the album itself

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Black Sabbath’s fourth album, Vol. 4, was a wild time for the band. Not only were they attempting to produce their own record for the first time, but they had also developed an expensive cocaine habit between them that would make Hunter S. Thompson blush.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/faroutmagazine.co.uk/black-sabbath-cocaine-vol-4/%3famp

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Kids stuff nowadays . 

•  
  •  

Gloucester: I got there so early I met the Rt Rev D Wayne Love still dressed in his civvies, on his way out to meet a ‘local freelance pharmacist’. Then he stopped and turned around and said ‘unless you’ve got any K that I could borrow? Then we could just go straight to the pub…’

Of course, he’s dead now, the little scamp.

• Like 1

Just got round to playing a Father’s Day gift, which is Led Zep II. That drum solo track Moby Dick really grates and doesn’t fit well with the albums flow at all. Such a wasted riff by Jimmy Page, too, as it’s a killer blues lick . Not a drum solo fan at all anyway . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â