VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

B-sides. The flip to Mouldy Old Dough by Lieutenant Pigeon

A heavy influence on the very first incarnation of The Fall. MES and Martin Bramah used to play this endlessly trying to replicate the guitar sound.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Pfft. We embraced him long before you. He was 'The Face of 68', three huge hits as frontman of The Herd. Hence Humble Pie having 'supergroup' billing when he teamed up with Steve Marriott. By the time the US caught up, he was old news over here - although 'Show Me The Way' was a top ten single in the UK (and 'Comes Alive' likewise as an album). Personally, I was a fan of his earlier stuff, but I found the material that sold so well in the US to be bland and uninspired. Good guitarist, though, and by all accounts a very nice bloke. 

s-l1200.jpg

Wow, what interesting history. I'm glad I made some foolish assumptions and got to see this. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I keep meaning to investigate Frampton’s collaboration with the Bee Gees (and George Burns). Just to see for myself if it really is as bad as it supposedly is.

IMG_3325.jpeg.c83188743db898057ab867efe13c4ed3.jpeg

That was the year -- 78 or 79? -- Frampton ended in the US. '76 and '77 were his peaks, if I recall, but then it got stupid.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

So with the 50 cent doc and the investigation into Diddy, it seems that the likes of P Diddy have more in common with crabs than they do you and I.

There's no evidence of this, but it is a fact.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2024 at 22:38, T-Dog said:

I didn't really know where to post this 

https://www.suno.ai/

It's an AI song generator, it's amazing and absolutely terrifying in equal measures. I've just requested a house music song about sausages and got a 3 minute banger returned called Sausage Party.

Enjoy.

Oooh yeah!

I present Demonic Odyssey:

https://app.suno.ai/song/f5d1681a-2f3b-4434-b621-0f4d864c5772

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Wow, what interesting history. I'm glad I made some foolish assumptions and got to see this. 

There were a fair number of bands/members of bands in the UK in the 60s that were definitely bigger in the UK than the US at that time, but (perhaps thanks to Lee Abrams more than anybody else) broke in the US roughly between '75 and '85 after they had basically faded into the background in the UK.  You could definitely argue that the likes of Pink Floyd and The Kinks resemble that description (even arguably the likes of Yes or Genesis, too).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leviramsey said:

There were a fair number of bands/members of bands in the UK in the 60s that were definitely bigger in the UK than the US at that time, but (perhaps thanks to Lee Abrams more than anybody else) broke in the US roughly between '75 and '85 after they had basically faded into the background in the UK.  You could definitely argue that the likes of Pink Floyd and The Kinks resemble that description (even arguably the likes of Yes or Genesis, too).

Hey, where have you been hiding?  :)

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have been buying Rod Stewart albums. My cut off will be Blondes have more fun, and I am yet to buy his solo debut. That said those albums have really been faultless. I have always had a liking of his pre 78 material and he does turn up in second hand record shops at a very good price. 

Anyway this morning I played Smiler, Never a dull moment and every picture tells a story, the latter has possibly the best side of his career in it's B side. 

The first five (Old Raincoat /Gasoline Alley/Every Picture/Dull Moment/Smiler) are all joyous. Everything after that (i.e. Atlantic Crossing onwards) is shite. *

* Honorable exemption for A Spanner in the Works (1995). 

On 28/03/2024 at 20:23, Marka Ragnos said:

How come Britain never really embraced Peter Frampton? What’s the matter with you people? I don’t get it.  😉😁🧐

They show  Frampton comes alive  on sky arts from time to time … I watched it and felt I’d missed out on not seeing him live in concert

As it was a dirge decade for music , he’s probably  about the only 70’s act I’d say that about. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leviramsey said:

Unless Yes and Pink Floyd had faded into the background in the UK by '71 and '73, respectively, which I seriously doubt, I don't think you can put them in that group.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Unless Yes and Pink Floyd had faded into the background in the UK by '71 and '73, respectively, which I seriously doubt, I don't think you can put them in that group.

Yes were never really big in the UK outside of the prog community. Pink Floyd, on the other hand were pretty huge. 

7 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

And, as I know you've all been waiting for part two of Demonic Odyssey, here is Druidic Defiance:

https://app.suno.ai/song/34c9c318-5107-42b8-b48a-43bd791cc851

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yes were never really big in the UK outside of the prog community. Pink Floyd, on the other hand were pretty huge. 

Sorry, this isn’t correct. Yes had albums that were certified gold in the UK on release day and topped the album charts. Even the Buggles / Yes dross sold well and then came Owner of a Lonely Heart and all that nonsense

Might not have been as popular as Led Zep and Pink Floyd but they were pretty big in the UK

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sorry, this isn’t correct. Yes had albums that were certified gold in the UK on release day and topped the album charts. Even the Buggles / Yes dross sold well and then came Owner of a Lonely Heart and all that nonsense

Might not have been as popular as Led Zep and Pink Floyd but they were pretty big in the UK

I knew someone would say that - and yes, you're right in terms of sales. But I bet if you'd done a straw poll among the general public at the time (let along now), most people would be aware of Pink Floyd, far fewer for Yes. They were more of a mainstream act in the US. 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I concur, my hippie cousins, Angie and Mandy were well into them. It irritated me how they  always finished a sentence using the word ‘man’ and in retrospect sounded like female versions of Neil, out of the young ones. I used to try and sneer at them in my most Rottenesque manner and  have the swindle playing if they have came round spouting their  ‘decaf tea is cool Auntie Jenny man’ bollocks and do you have any lentil cakes man 🙄

• Haha 1

On 29/03/2024 at 08:48, Seat68 said:

Sgt Pepper the movie if I recall correctly. As good as the Star Wars Christmas debacle. 

Whilst the movie was crap, it certainly got lots of publicity. I'd also wager that if it was released after 1980 it would have faired much better at the box office. By 1978 no one really cared about The Beatles in the UK, they were an artefact from another era. The Mod thing around 79 and Weller gave them a new minor audience but only specific albums like Revolver from the psychedelic era really and even that was relatively low key. For sure musicians still talked about them and were influenced by them but the punters had moved on to Bowie and all the 70s icons, I’d even wager by the end of the 80s The Who were more popular (Quadrophenia / Mod revival / The Jam) and possibly even the Small Faces.

Then along came Mark Chapman and it starts to very slowly blow up again but even in the early 80s McCartney was still releasing desperate desperate records like the Frog Chorus which I doubt he’d have done if The Beatles were as big as they are again now.

The complete AI generated Demonic Odyssey song cycle is available now here. It is kind of amazing, but also hilarious how many "wrong" things there are (checkout the guitar solo in Battle Across Time to see what I mean)

https://app.suno.ai/playlist/433cc965-5c31-42c7-8141-7908518a5465

U.S. singer Lizzo has quit the industry due to negative comments made about her size.

Yeah, me neither.

Â