VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The idea that you can't "be country" if you've never made country music before seems absurd. 

Is this a re-run of what happened in the late sixties, when druggy longhaired rock musicians started doing country? The country music establishment didn't like it one bit. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is this a re-run of what happened in the late sixties, when druggy longhaired rock musicians started doing country? The country music establishment didn't like it one bit. 

Some of those rockers were truer to Country than a lot of those rhinestone cowboys with their saccharine string arrangements in that era.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Some of those rockers were truer to Country than a lot of those rhinestone cowboys with their saccharine string arrangements in that era.

Well, being steeped in that stuff myself, I wouldn't disagree. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Well, being steeped in that stuff myself, I wouldn't disagree. 

Mike Mooney, steeped in rhinestones?? Pic or it didn't happen!

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

You've answered your own question. Texas Hold 'Em sounds like something you'd hear on contemporary country radio before you'd hear anything neo traditional or 20th century. What might be throwing music directors off is the R&B soul over-emoting singing style, and some of the curse words. Other than that, it sounds pretty modern country to me, and worthy of play based on the slick production, its uniqueness and the fact that it's made by a global superstar. Why wouldn't a music director want to play it, and why wouldn't modern country fans want to hear it? 

There's a gatekeeping aspect to country music that I don't like. Even rap music is less gate-keepy. Beyonce grew up in Texas, and probably heard country music regularly, and as a musical person, probably enjoyed some of it. The idea that you can't "be country" if you've never made country music before seems absurd. She may not have paid her dues in Nashville, but she paid her dues in Houston. Artists should explore different styles, and country should be no exception. Popular artists like her have probably earned the right to get a fair shake on the radio. Not that I care if she doesn't, I'm not a fan of any of her music!

I do not feel anyone has a right to radioplay if I was being honest. No one is entitled to be played. Your other points is your view or hard to prove or disprove, therefore the only comment I have is on anyone's entitlement to radioplay, however it will get played. 

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Mike Mooney, steeped in rhinestones?? Pic or it didn't happen!

You know what I meant. :) 

My T shirt at the party (I really need to get one with McGuinn-White-Battin-Parsons): 

FB_IMG_1706435186613~2.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I think there are a few points with Beyonce and her second attempt to have a bite of the country cherry, the last time was with the song Daddy Issues, and that didn't work so with 16 Carriages, Texas Hold Em and the bloody Stetson, she needed to be less ambiguous. 

Why has she done it? In my opinion Beyonce did it because of pure arrogance, has she shown any liking towards country music? Guesting at an awards show aside, not really. Post Malone has, I see a natural progression with him into that market. Lana Del Ray is also threatening a country album, and I see a similar cynical cash grab from her, but I find her more intriguing as I fell it will be more the sound of George and Tammy than what Beyonce has produced this far. 

So is Beyonce country, has she delivered a country song. Let's forget 16 Carriages, that's just acoustic pop. Texas Hold Em, is it country? Well if Walker Hayes' Fancy Like and Blanco Brown's The Git Up are considered country, then Texas Hold Em is without question, country music. Is it El Paso City? Is it He Stopped Loving Her Today? Is it even Call Mama? God no, but it's style is similar to the nadir of country music, Fancy Like. So by definition, in the modern sense she has produced a country music song. 

Should it be played? Country music has a long history of black artists making an impact and getting considerable play on country radio. Regardless of what Billboard magazine and the BBC think, Charley Pride, Kane Brown, Darius Rucker and Ray Charles are notable acts in the genre. Country radio is powerful and if they choose to play a song then it will inevitably be successful. I feel it will be played but not because of Beyonce or her fans demanding it is played. How dare they, when Taylor Swift moved to pop did she demand that pop radio played her song, did The Band Perry demand that their first pop song was played? Did Maren Morris's brief foray into pop and rnb demand stations play her music. No, any airplay, or none in some cases were because of usual channels. 

Why should Beyonce get airplay on country radio? Why is it her right to that play? Neo traditional acts don't get a look in these days, Alan Jackson doesn't, George Strait doesn't, Charley Crockett doesn't. Women certainly don't, Kacey Musgrave's ditched country music because radio ignored her. I believe she along with Zach Bryan have the number 1 country song at the moment, I guarantee that if she sang it without him, it would not get any play. Women. In country music do not get airplay, so why should an interloper be treated any differently. 

Which brings me to my final point, I dislike interlopers in country using it for easy sales, for easy.awards, Sheryl Crow, Lionel Richie and now Beyonce. No one should stay in their lane but it's always country and country welcomes them. 

So in summary, is Beyonce country? in this context. Will it be a hit? yes. Will it get airplay? Yes but at the expense of other more deserving artists. 

So, I’ve been trapped in a car with a couple of Beyoncé fans today. One of them, being the person that got me in to The Chicks. 

Their combined attitude was that Beyoncé absolutely has country in the repertoire already and that they were super excited because they had been hoping that one of the 3 Act album project (starting with Renaissance) would be a country album. The one thing Beyonce wouldn’t be chasing with country, would be sales. The easiest sales would be Renaissance II, or an album with the old man.

They also mentioned that perhaps the gravity of Beyoncé being played on country platforms could open the way to other female or black artists being played, and that Beyonce country being played on mainstream platforms might lead listeners to dance, to listen to country. They were very much of the opinion any publicity is good publicity and it might be a gateway for ‘pop’ fans to experience country and country to broaden its playlist.

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

So, I’ve been trapped in a car with a couple of Beyoncé fans today. One of them, being the person that got me in to The Chicks. 

Their combined attitude was that Beyoncé absolutely has country in the repertoire already and that they were super excited because they had been hoping that one of the 3 Act album project (starting with Renaissance) would be a country album. The one thing Beyonce wouldn’t be chasing with country, would be sales. The easiest sales would be Renaissance II, or an album with the old man.

They also mentioned that perhaps the gravity of Beyoncé being played on country platforms could open the way to other female or black artists being played, and that Beyonce country being played on mainstream platforms might lead listeners to dance, to listen to country. They were very much of the opinion any publicity is good publicity and it might be a gateway for ‘pop’ fans to experience country and country to broaden its playlist.

Well the third album is supposed to be "rock and roll" let's have her on stage at Download then. 

19 hours ago, bickster said:

The Dead will always be a mystery to me tbh

Me too…. Except that a Dressner from the National compiled a covers album of dead songs. I’ve posted this several times before, I know, but this is terrific

• Like 2

It has been announced that the Beach Boys co-founder and musical mastermind Brian Wilson has dementia, as his family move to appoint new conservators to help him following the death of his wife.

A statement on Wilson’s website reads: “Following the passing of Brian’s beloved wife Melinda, after careful consideration and consultation among Brian, his seven children, [housekeeper] Gloria Ramos and Brian’s doctors (and consistent with family processes put in place by Brian and Melinda), we are confirming that longtime Wilson family representatives LeeAnn Hard and Jean Sievers will serve as Brian’s co-conservators”.

Guardian

• Sad 1

Bugger all at the record fair. 

Bit disappointing, I had money in my pocket, too.

George Harrison ~ All Things for £50 but box covered in an absolute essay of biro writing.

People’s ideas of genres. A tub marked Alt / Indie and it’s largely Coldplay. A tub marked Krautrock half full of Jean Michel Jarre. A tub marked Ska and it’s a load of old guff by Madness.

I lost focus pretty quickly and just sort of wandered around. The guy I was with picked up a sealed splatter vinyl copy of Slayed? for £8

There’s never a coffee at these things. I might try and sell coffee at one and have somewhere you can sit down and collect your thoughts for 20 minutes and have a kitkat.  

On 16/02/2024 at 20:31, Xela said:

Portishead and Massive Attack (Unfinished Sympathy aside), were a couple of bands that passed me by in the 90s. 

Gave Portishead - Dummy, a listen on the way to Telford yesterday. Yeah its decent, but its not something I would rush to listen to again. Made a nice change from hard rock though! 

I was having my usual Sunday ritual long bath with the radio on, rather later than usual and Tom Robinson was on doing his request show and this week was a tribute to Damo Suzuki. Now Tom Robinson is ok, at least I credit him with having musical knowledge and interest but to listen to him presenting this show and having his ears opened to “krautrock” was just a joy to listen to, he'd clearly never heard half the music he was playing (he said as much) and on few occasions just started a sentence after a song with Wow…!

Quite entertaining listening to a an obvious muso having a moment of discovery live on air over 2 hours, also reckon I have most of the music on the show in my collection :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Gave Portishead - Dummy, a listen on the way to Telford yesterday. Yeah its decent, but its not something I would rush to listen to again. Made a nice change from hard rock though! 

Beat Definitely Maybe to the Mercury Prize that year :D 

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Beat Definitely Maybe to the Mercury Prize that year :D 

This country has had enough of experts ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 17/02/2024 at 03:13, bickster said:

Throw enough turgid noodling shit against the wall and some of it will stick.

Deadheads are just plain odd, how many live albums can you possibly want? 

The Dead will always be a mystery to me tbh

Did you ever see them live?  If not, then I can understand why you don't get it.   A couple of points:

1. The Dead were never really about the studio albums.  Unlike most bands who tour to promote their studio albums, it was more the opposite with them.   Studio albums were typically official, sanctioned recordings of music they'd been working out and had already played live lots of times.

2.  No two shows were the same, so the Dead putting out multiple live albums can't be compared to other bands doing the same.

3.  It's generally not been the same people buying all the live albums, but people buying some that have a particular appeal to them (set list, they were at the show, etc.).  Only the most hardcore want and buy all the live albums, just like the hardcore fans of any band will buy anything they put out.

On 18/02/2024 at 07:48, maqroll said:

The Grateful Dead at their best were magic. Unfortunately, you had to wade through miles of musical sludge to hear it. 

Totally agree with the first sentence, but couldn't disagree more with the second.  While it's true that they put out some stuff that didn't age well at all-- they pretty much started out as auditory stimulus for Kesey's acid tests, after all-- and some that was never very good to begin with (particularly on the later studio albums), and you will encounter some sludge if you decide to methodically listen to every recording they (or the bootleggers they tolerated/encouraged) issued, the idea that you "had to wade through miles" of it to hear find the good stuff couldn't be further from the truth imho.  Any moderately serious fan of the band could readily direct someone unfamiliar with them to 3 or 4 recordings that are solid throughout and demonstrate how magical they could be.   Of course, some people are just not going to like the music and are going to consider even the stuff you think is magic to be sludge.

30 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Did you ever see them live?  If not, then I can understand why you don't get it.   A couple of points:

1. The Dead were never really about the studio albums.  Unlike most bands who tour to promote their studio albums, it was more the opposite with them.   Studio albums were typically official, sanctioned recordings of music they'd been working out and had already played live lots of times.

2.  No two shows were the same, so the Dead putting out multiple live albums can't be compared to other bands doing the same.

3.  It's generally not been the same people buying all the live albums, but people buying some that have a particular appeal to them (set list, they were at the show, etc.).  Only the most hardcore want and buy all the live albums, just like the hardcore fans of any band will buy anything they put out.

Yeah I know all that. It's still turgid noodling :D 

Â