VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

In a conversation earlier about the best B sides.

We all agreed Bauhaus had a great shout with Terror Couple Kill Colonel. Then the research and the thinking begins, and bloody hell there is some crazy quality stuff out there that was a B side. How about genuine heavyweights like Green Onions, and God Only Knows.

You get a top quality top 10 very quickly, The Jam with Takin My Love, Calimero by SFA, You Don’t Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones, The Model by Kraftwerk.

If it’s a double A side, do people count the lesser well known song as the b side? So with The Jam, Going Underground is the main A side and “Dreams of Children” is the b side. 

I am making the assumption that there wasn’t an actual b side in that instance. Or that DOC really was the b side but they decided to market it as a double A (I know about the pressing mix up).

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If it’s a double A side, do people count the lesser well known song as the b side? So with The Jam, Going Underground is the main A side and “Dreams of Children” is the b side. 

I am making the assumption that there wasn’t an actual b side in that instance. Or that DOC really was the b side but they decided to market it as a double A (I know about the pressing mix up).

Well my interpretation would be there’s no B on a double A.

Oasis’ Masterplan was the first one offered when I discussed it elsewhere.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If it’s a double A side, do people count the lesser well known song as the b side? So with The Jam, Going Underground is the main A side and “Dreams of Children” is the b side

Slight aside, the double A was a pressing error and Going Underground was meant to be the B side :D 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Slight aside, the double A was a pressing error and Going Underground was meant to be the B side :D 

Yeah I know, I referenced the pressing error - I still find that crazy, their first number one and it’s kinda down to a **** up. I wonder whether stations would have gone ahead and played Going Underground instead.

Not to get all Oasis-y about the subject of b sides and them taking precedence over A sides, but I read years after the fact that stations would play the poppier b side “Stay Young” instead of the longer, weirder A side. I don’t know if that actually is true, but I’ve read it in an interview with the middle Gallagher brother who suggested that was indeed the case.

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Oasis’ Masterplan was the first one offered when I discussed it elsewhere.

Oasis is skewed by it being the first CD single I ever bought and the age I was, it was the first time I ever actually paid attention to a b side, the cd was wonder wall, round our way, swamp song, Masterplan, it was incredible 

But the Masterplan album is incredible 

• Like 1

How Soon Is Now by The Smiths

10:15 On A Saturday Night by The Cure

Gloria by Them

Fade Away And Radiate by Blondie

The Man Who Sold The World by David Bowie

Living Through Another Cuba by XTC

Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home) by Marvin Gaye

Editors have some cracking b sides from the singles off their first album.

Let Your Good Heart Lead You Home, Colours, Release. Some really good ones.

Open Up, which was a b side off a single from their second album is lovely too and should have been on the album.

I think I’ll listen to them now while The Fly is on (1958 version with Vincent Price).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Editors have some cracking b sides from the singles off their first album.

Let Your Good Heart Lead You Home, Colours, Release. Some really good ones.

Open Up, which was a b side off a single from their second album is lovely too and should have been on the album.

I think I’ll listen to them now while The Fly is on (1958 version with Vincent Price).

As much as I've listened to editors I've never listened to their b sides, I'll give them a go

Edit - didn't realise they'd done a boxset in 2010 "unedited" only €600 now... 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

And how could I forget…
Into The Groove - Madonna

You forgot loads: 

This Boy 

You Can't Do That 

If I Fell 

She's a Woman 

Yes It Is 

I'm Down 

Rain 

I Am The Walrus 

Revolution 

Don't Let Me Down 

😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

As much as I've listened to editors I've never listened to their b sides, I'll give them a go

Edit - didn't realise they'd done a boxset in 2010 "unedited" only €600 now... 

I believe I’ve said before that between 2005-2007 I was pretty confident that they would either be an utterly huge, world conquering band or that they’d be a sort of Jesus & Mary Chain kinda band…they’ve go on to have a retro cool quality about them (insert whatever band you think I mean…that sort of band). 

Of course, neither of these eventualities happened.

Anyway, this belief I had was in part down to these early b sides. I was amazed at the time, just thinking “They’ve ****ing chucked this one away as a b side. AND this one, AND that one too. Christ, they must have loads of great stuff up their sleeves…”.

They of course weren’t the first to be so flippant. But it really didn’t matter, at the time I really was enthused about it all.

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I believe I’ve said before that between 2005-2007 I was pretty confident that they would either be an utterly huge, world conquering band or that they’d be a sort of Jesus & Mary Chain kinda band…they’ve go on to have a retro cool quality about them (insert whatever band you think I mean…that sort of band). 

Of course, neither of these eventualities happened.

Anyway, this belief I had was in part down to these early b sides. I was amazed at the time, just thinking “They’ve ****ing chucked this one away as a b side. AND this one, AND that one too. Christ, they must have loads of great stuff up their sleeves…”.

They of course weren’t the first to be so flippant. But it really didn’t matter, at the time I really was enthused about it all.

Came out at the wrong time and got lost in the crowd, never really stepped up to that next level, can't remember them headlining even other stages at big festivals, or the likes of the NIA, I saw them a few times at the academy and I'm sure places like barfly which was brilliant, they were (are I suppose) a great live band, if they came out now they'd be smashing the smaller festivals like y not and truck, and then the 3rd album fell off a cliff and for me personally they never recovered, could argue that the 2nd album was a bit grown up at a time when I was going to snobs and bands like the enemy and the view and pigeon detectives were on that scene 

It's a shame they don't have a courteeners esque cult around them because the first 2 albums are better than all those bands but they just kind of disappeared, my mate tells me there is some good stuff on the later albums but I've not even tried past the 4th album 

Edited by villa4europe

35 minutes ago, Xann said:

With a nice record deck and a habit of digitising records it would be an A/D for the nice record deck for me.

The proof of the pud is in the tasting, ultimately. You're content. Carry on :)

What I’ve got is quite hit n miss to be honest.

As a turntable, it’s budget, but you can plug decent speakers in to it and I’ve a set of speakers that have basic knobs so I can get a bit of depth and volume. Though I suspect the stylus eats records, so stuff tends to get a single play on there for conversion.

Some stuff has converted really well. I’ve got an old sampler album called Dimension of Miracles and the cheapo ion turntable has done a really good job on that. This Fanny stuff, not so good, sounds a bit thin and tinny and there’s no way of even just crudely bumping up the bass or dialling back treble.

We have considered investing in something noticeably better and some better more editable software. I think we have to both be feeling rich on the same day to commit to it.

I mean they're not huge huge, sure, but I'd always considered Editors as successful and "big" enough in the grand scheme of things? Even at their worst, they navigated deftly away from getting subsumed into the landfill indie of the era, as their stuff was always a cut above.

As far as their B-Side and related material goes, biiiiiiiig fan of that Stereolab cover they did.

• Like 1

Bit late for International womens day but stumbled across this which chats to a few ladies from the 70s/80s punk scene

a documentary, She's A Punk Rocker UK. This includes interviews with many key figures in the scene, including Gaye Black, bass player with the Adverts, who gave up making music 17 years ago when her band broke up and became a manager in a social services department. "It's taken me 10 years with no funding," Minx says of her film. "I wanted to make a documentary about real punks - to explore what it's like to be a punk and why women became punks."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/aug/08/gender.arts

• 2 weeks later...

Say what you like about Happy Mondays but "I only went with your mother 'cause she's dirty" is a great lyric 😂

Â