VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

the 2024 inflate the price of vinyl event list is up now

At least three I saw that I want

Also the usual junk. Seriously who wants Kim Wilde (the Disco Mixes) or a Picture Disc of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, more live albums than you can shake a microphone at. Das Koolies remix EP for Chris. 

Not really interested in the Soul Jazz offerings this year, shocked there's no Psyche France 9

Anyone interested in the early British Roots reggae scene, I'd recommend the the Bristol Roots Explosions album (I already have it)

Even The Space Lady is in on the action this year :D 

The three I definitely want are the Goat soundtrack as I heard a track ages ago and absolutely loved it, The liminanas / David Menke soundtrack and the Prince Far I - double LP, the Dub Syndicate release is below par IMO

Yeah I had a scan down the list and I was quite irritated by the number I’d like to have. I didn’t see any prices, so I presume they are all ridiculous and I’ll just have to wait 6 months for the stock clearances to start happening.

I picked up a 2022 RSD thing the other day, still priced in the £30’s in some places, I got it for £12.99, I think that’s the only way it works. 

Das Koolies I’m not so bowled over by that I would punt money on a remix EP, I think I’ll spend the equivalent money seeing them live at a funky surround sound / overhead screen venue in March. They’re doing a gig at Cultvr Lab so I’m tempted by that.

• Like 1

i dont mind the live stuff if its exclusive and a band im a huge fan of, think i've picked up 2 ocean colour scene RSD live albums, they're out this year though, released box sets of their own last year so i dont think they've got anything left, i might try and find the fleet foxes live album and give a listen first to see what the quality is like

im looking at the bloc party EP and im pained by it because its dog shit but it'll be the only vinyl of theirs i haven't got and the verve album but thats about it

fortunately the Nas album this year is illmatic remixes which i wont be touching

I've got maybe around15, most of them due to completionism, would say my thoughts on them are similar to a greatest hits album, I'll make an exception if I was there or if I think its something different

for example i picked up this a couple of RSDs ago -

image.jpeg.bdfa399afc421fd83e55cf25db6cac26.jpeg

Nas performing illmatic with an orchestra, its brilliant as its very different from the original album, same with acoustic albums where its a different sound

I got boxer too about 5 years ago

image.jpeg.697ed0c0685f04978003562b6ca4888b.jpeg

I think I’ve got 3 or 4 live albums and one of those I was actually there for, so that’s a legit reason. One I bought on the insistence of my dealer, and unfortunately I don’t get what they get from it (Rust, Live, Neil Young).

I especially dislike when they stick a single live track on an otherwise studio album, not in to that at all.

Happily I’ve never been anywhere near being a completist, I’ll happily not buy one of a trilogy if that one isn’t my thing. I’ve had to warn people going through my records and spotting I’ve got 2 of 3 of something, that’ll be for a reason and the reason ain’t I was waiting for Father Christmas.

There was a substantial Beatles release and I have zero interest in them before the drugs starting landing, so I happily just picked up the last one.

Super Furries, Small Faces, and Alabama 3 would be the only two I’m close to being ‘complete’ but that’s just because I really like it all, not some sense of needing to complete something. There’s a Furries album in that RSD list, I’ll have a look at what’s on it and take it from there, but I won’t be paying no £30 for a vinyl album of B sides of CD singles I’ve already got. It will need to have something new on there.

Small Faces has been the interesting one, their back catalogue has fallen in to various incompetent uncaring hands over the years and releases have been particularly sloppy. So an album where the track listing suggests you already have it all covered can quite easily have totally different versions, or even just totally different songs. It’s a real lucky dip a late Small Faces rehash.

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

One I bought on the insistence of my dealer, and unfortunately I don’t get what they get from it (Rust, Live, Neil Young).

'Live Rust' features several songs from his previous album 'Rust Never Sleeps'. What many people didn't realise was that that was itself a live album, with the audience noise removed. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

'Live Rust' features several songs from his previous album 'Rust Never Sleeps'. What many people didn't realise was that that was itself a live album, with the audience noise removed. 

I’ve been pressured to get in to Neil Young, I’ve given it a go, and it’s perfectly ok, I like the album Zuma.

I can’t see myself buying any more than what I already have.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve been pressured to get in to Neil Young, I’ve given it a go, and it’s perfectly ok, I like the album Zuma.

I can’t see myself buying any more than what I already have.

Neil Young primer. Then take it from there (Double CD / Triple Album). You should be able to find a used CD for sale in UK for under a tenner inc postage on Discogs

NeilYoung_Decade.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Everyone has heard Glory Box.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Except me, obviously. 

57 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

and Sour Times (except for @mjmooney, obviously).

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

You absolutely will have heard it

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I would put a drink on Mike gearing Sour Times or Glory Box. A pint, or a small wine. 

22 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Obviously I don’t know if you’ve gone out of your way to check to see if you’ve heard it, come back and confirmed that belief.

But for me it’s one of those songs that people have heard but they don’t realise they know it.

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Just looked it up, and Sour Times. Definitely heard them before, many times, but couldn't have told you who sang them before now. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

A reasonable chance you have heard “Roads” too.

...dragged to the Music chat thread :) 

Yes,  have heard Roads, but not as many times. 

When I listened to Sour Times, I immediately thought - Luther theme tune. Of course its not, that was Massive Attack! 

Portishead and Massive Attack (Unfinished Sympathy aside), were a couple of bands that passed me by in the 90s. 

• Like 3

Just now, maqroll said:

Thoughts on the Beyonce Country song and the predictable controversy, @Seat68?

It's a large post that I have strong views on. So may give it some tomorrow as I am a few glasses in. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

Thoughts on the Beyonce Country song and the predictable controversy, @Seat68?

I think there are a few points with Beyonce and her second attempt to have a bite of the country cherry, the last time was with the song Daddy Issues, and that didn't work so with 16 Carriages, Texas Hold Em and the bloody Stetson, she needed to be less ambiguous. 

Why has she done it? In my opinion Beyonce did it because of pure arrogance, has she shown any liking towards country music? Guesting at an awards show aside, not really. Post Malone has, I see a natural progression with him into that market. Lana Del Ray is also threatening a country album, and I see a similar cynical cash grab from her, but I find her more intriguing as I fell it will be more the sound of George and Tammy than what Beyonce has produced this far. 

So is Beyonce country, has she delivered a country song. Let's forget 16 Carriages, that's just acoustic pop. Texas Hold Em, is it country? Well if Walker Hayes' Fancy Like and Blanco Brown's The Git Up are considered country, then Texas Hold Em is without question, country music. Is it El Paso City? Is it He Stopped Loving Her Today? Is it even Call Mama? God no, but it's style is similar to the nadir of country music, Fancy Like. So by definition, in the modern sense she has produced a country music song. 

Should it be played? Country music has a long history of black artists making an impact and getting considerable play on country radio. Regardless of what Billboard magazine and the BBC think, Charley Pride, Kane Brown, Darius Rucker and Ray Charles are notable acts in the genre. Country radio is powerful and if they choose to play a song then it will inevitably be successful. I feel it will be played but not because of Beyonce or her fans demanding it is played. How dare they, when Taylor Swift moved to pop did she demand that pop radio played her song, did The Band Perry demand that their first pop song was played? Did Maren Morris's brief foray into pop and rnb demand stations play her music. No, any airplay, or none in some cases were because of usual channels. 

Why should Beyonce get airplay on country radio? Why is it her right to that play? Neo traditional acts don't get a look in these days, Alan Jackson doesn't, George Strait doesn't, Charley Crockett doesn't. Women certainly don't, Kacey Musgrave's ditched country music because radio ignored her. I believe she along with Zach Bryan have the number 1 country song at the moment, I guarantee that if she sang it without him, it would not get any play. Women. In country music do not get airplay, so why should an interloper be treated any differently. 

Which brings me to my final point, I dislike interlopers in country using it for easy sales, for easy.awards, Sheryl Crow, Lionel Richie and now Beyonce. No one should stay in their lane but it's always country and country welcomes them. 

So in summary, is Beyonce country? in this context. Will it be a hit? yes. Will it get airplay? Yes but at the expense of other more deserving artists. 

• Like 2

Love this series of interviews from about ten years back, all now being released in full unedited form:

Phil always comes across as so humble and self-deprecating and down-to-earth. Tony is always highly strung and obviously the boss but I still think he's a genuine and often very funny guy. Steve always seems a bit odd and intense, Peter is hilarious and nuts and hyper-intelligent, and Mike mumbles most of the time.

Plus there are second parts of each. And others coming out too, like Anthony Phillips interview.

Quite surprising. 

Grateful Dead breaks the record for most top 40-charting albums in the nearly 68-year history the Billboard 200. The group’s latest archival live release, Dave’s Picks, Volume 49: Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford U., Palo Alto, CA (4/27/85 & 4/28/85), debuts at No. 25 on the chart dated Feb. 10. It’s the 59th top 40-charting set for the band, surpassing the 58 top 40s earned by both Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra.

Billboard

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Quite surprising. 

Throw enough turgid noodling shit against the wall and some of it will stick.

Deadheads are just plain odd, how many live albums can you possibly want? 

The Dead will always be a mystery to me tbh

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, bickster said:

Throw enough turgid noodling shit against the wall and some of it will stick.

Deadheads are just plain odd, how many live albums can you possibly want? 

The Dead will always be a mystery to me tbh

I quite like 'em, but in small doses. 

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Why should Beyonce get airplay on country radio? 

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

by definition, in the modern sense she has produced a country music song

You've answered your own question. Texas Hold 'Em sounds like something you'd hear on contemporary country radio before you'd hear anything neo traditional or 20th century. What might be throwing music directors off is the R&B soul over-emoting singing style, and some of the curse words. Other than that, it sounds pretty modern country to me, and worthy of play based on the slick production, its uniqueness and the fact that it's made by a global superstar. Why wouldn't a music director want to play it, and why wouldn't modern country fans want to hear it? 

There's a gatekeeping aspect to country music that I don't like. Even rap music is less gate-keepy. Beyonce grew up in Texas, and probably heard country music regularly, and as a musical person, probably enjoyed some of it. The idea that you can't "be country" if you've never made country music before seems absurd. She may not have paid her dues in Nashville, but she paid her dues in Houston. Artists should explore different styles, and country should be no exception. Popular artists like her have probably earned the right to get a fair shake on the radio. Not that I care if she doesn't, I'm not a fan of any of her music!

• Like 2

Â