VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

I didn't really know where to post this 

https://www.suno.ai/

It's an AI song generator, it's amazing and absolutely terrifying in equal measures. I've just requested a house music song about sausages and got a 3 minute banger returned called Sausage Party.

Enjoy.

7 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

How come Britain never really embraced Peter Frampton? What’s the matter with you people? I don’t get it.  😉😁🧐

I guess we don’t feel like you do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

How come Britain never really embraced Peter Frampton? What’s the matter with you people? I don’t get it.  😉😁🧐

How come the U.S. never really embraced Steve Marriott?

I mean, what position did Ogden’s Nut Gone Flake achieve in the U.S.?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

How come the U.S. never really embraced Steve Marriott?

I mean, what position did Ogden’s Nut Gone Flake achieve in the U.S.?

It’s a hard question, and an interesting one, too. I feel like anything I say, that attempts to be serious, sounds really pretentious, but I do think it has something to do with the more distinctive English identity of Small Faces with very English cultural references? Maybe? Entirely different music, but a bit like Blur, who never really caught fire in the USA. 

Frampton in United States was a little more at least at first, of a kind of teen idol, but a little more mystical and deep, somehow. The lyrics aren’t exactly Chaucer. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

11 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It’s a hard question, and an interesting one, too. I feel like anything I say, that attempts to be serious, sounds really pretentious, but I do think it has something to do with the more distinctive English identity of Small Faces with very English cultural references? Maybe? Entirely different music, but a bit like Blur, who never really caught fire in the USA. 

Frampton in United States was a little more at least at first, of a kind of teen idol, but a little more mystical and deep, somehow. The lyrics aren’t exactly Chaucer. 

I mean, personally, Frampton was second in Humble Pie and then that singing down a straw schtick didnt really do it for me.

I get the point about the Englishness of Small Faces though, I think that’s fair. 

• Like 1

On 10/09/2023 at 11:05, chrisp65 said:

Overmono get the least helpful description...

That was 2023.

Early runners for the 2024 Welsh Music Prize?  :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I get the point about the Englishness of Small Faces though, I think that’s fair. 

I think the critics respected Marriott. But sometimes that's the kiss of death. In '76 and '77, Frampton and "Framptonness" were inescapable in America. I wonder whether part of it was how the record labels chose to promote or not promote the artists. But in the end, with the crazily talented Steve Marriott, I have to throw up my hands and say America can be kind of thick sometimes. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Pfft. We embraced him long before you. He was 'The Face of 68', three huge hits as frontman of The Herd. Hence Humble Pie having 'supergroup' billing when he teamed up with Steve Marriott. By the time the US caught up, he was old news over here - although 'Show Me The Way' was a top ten single in the UK (and 'Comes Alive' likewise as an album). Personally, I was a fan of his earlier stuff, but I found the material that sold so well in the US to be bland and uninspired. Good guitarist, though, and by all accounts a very nice bloke. 

s-l1200.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

That was 2023.

Early runners for the 2024 Welsh Music Prize?  :) 

Yeah, I liked that.

It feels like a bit of a slower start this year than last year. 2023 I’d committed to buying something every month and by end of March I was on two a month and missing a good few. 

My fave for this year is still Motherland by Angharad at the moment, but a long way to go.

• Like 1

I keep meaning to investigate Frampton’s collaboration with the Bee Gees (and George Burns). Just to see for myself if it really is as bad as it supposedly is.

IMG_3325.jpeg.c83188743db898057ab867efe13c4ed3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I keep meaning to investigate Frampton’s collaboration with the Bee Gees (and George Burns). Just to see for myself if it really is as bad as it supposedly is.

IMG_3325.jpeg.c83188743db898057ab867efe13c4ed3.jpeg

Sgt Pepper the movie if I recall correctly. As good as the Star Wars Christmas debacle. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Sgt Pepper the movie if I recall correctly. As good as the Star Wars Christmas debacle. 

Correct. Unfortunately, while I can infer what you mean, the comparison with Star Wars Christmas doesn’t really mean a great deal to me (along with the franchise as a whole).

It’s the cast of the sgt pepper film that interests me. Anything that features both Aerosmith and Frankie Howerd must be worth at least a cursory glance. 

• Like 1

I have been buying Rod Stewart albums. My cut off will be Blondes have more fun, and I am yet to buy his solo debut. That said those albums have really been faultless. I have always had a liking of his pre 78 material and he does turn up in second hand record shops at a very good price. 

Anyway this morning I played Smiler, Never a dull moment and every picture tells a story, the latter has possibly the best side of his career in it's B side. 

• Like 1

Â