VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

This is such a minute bugbear but I remember when she died and the outpouring of grief. They were talking to people on the street and this one bloke said “she wrote the greatest album of the past fifty years”.

Ok fine, that’s his opinion. I don’t mind.

But I was desperate for the person to ask the question “Oh ok, so who wrote an album pre 1961 that you consider superior?” 

If you think it’s the best album ever, just say it’s the best album ever. It’s fine. Don’t try and qualify it and make it seem like you’ve given it some thought and are knowledgeable on old music by saying “within the past 50 years”.

I think about that newsclip way more than I should.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was a big libertines fan at time and for me it was the hypocrisy of she was a troubled angel we should all cherish and Pete was a dirty smack head that the likes of the sun almost seemed to egg his death on

a pleasant find on the radio yesterday, a programme about the psychology of band break ups and episode 1 was Dr Feelgood

Singer-songwriter Kitty Perrin analyses the career of Dr Feelgood. With the help of music professionals, she looks at the reasons why some bands split while others continue.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

a pleasant find on the radio yesterday, a programme about the psychology of band break ups and episode 1 was Dr Feelgood

Dr Feelgood are Schrödinger's band. They both split and continued. 

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Dr Feelgood are Schrödinger's band. They both split and continued. 

Spoiler

No original members left, but the current crop of musicians have decided they will be the last, when one of them goes, they’ll call it a day.

• Thanks 1

On 11/04/2024 at 16:05, villa4europe said:

seeing as the film is coming out and the hyperbole is starting swirl - amy winehouse...is that special? some of the write ups seem to paint her as one of the greatest female singers ever to have existed, i just see her as alright, couple of decent songs, a decent album, good voice lots of talent but overall im not getting it

When the 'Frank' album came out, she didn't get the praise she deserved. That was a great album and carried on the back of a very limited neo-soul genre at the time. She skirted between so many genres, everything was very honest too. 

Back to Black and all the Mark Ronson stuff, decent enough, but felt like the 'soul' had been taken out of her music for the sake of sales. 

Ultimately, she was a fantastic singer, and has a lot of good music out there, but you can pick and choose thru the back catalogue. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Taylor Swift Format Watch. 16 versions of her latest album, so far. Not including curated playlists on the various streaming platforms. 

I noticed this evening my local record shop has 4 versions in stock, each with 1 different track on it.

Personally, as someone happy not to be a completist, part of me thinks best of luck to her if some tube decides they need to buy all versions.

But by the same token, it does actually suck, and hoovers up industry capacity and kids spending money she really doesn’t need.

So I’m stuck somewhere between it being fine, and it being selfish and greedy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I noticed this evening my local record shop has 4 versions in stock, each with 1 different track on it.

Personally, as someone happy not to be a completist, part of me thinks best of luck to her if some tube decides they need to buy all versions.

But by the same token, it does actually suck, and hoovers up industry capacity and kids spending money she really doesn’t need.

I kind of came to the conclusion that I stopped playing her albums 3 albums ago so have ducked out of buying the latest. That said I only buy one version anyway. 

• Like 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Different editions be it a standard a coloured a gatefold etc I'm all OK with 

Even the latest £80 vinyl cd cassette t-shirt bundles that most bands do I'm OK with 

Different tracks on different versions is naughty 

16 different versions is taking the piss

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Different editions be it a standard a coloured a gatefold etc I'm all OK with 

Even the latest £80 vinyl cd cassette t-shirt bundles that most bands do I'm OK with 

Different tracks on different versions is naughty 

16 different versions is taking the piss

If it was an indie artist, or a small time band, I'd be okay with it. 

For someone with (correct me if I'm wrong) the highest grossing tour in modern history, it's snide, money making bullshit.

Just listened back to Frank again (first Amy Winehouse album) - bare in mind it's 20 odd years old, it jazzy, soulful, r&b, and it's not been spoilt by over production, by Jools Holland, by Radio 2. It's absolutely superb. The beats, the vibe, the voice, the tempo. That is an album she made for herself, and I'm glad. Incredible piece of work.

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Burn anyone who uses the word 'curated' in any context other than museums and art galleries. 

Oh don't start me, there was an "Artist in Residence" on 6Music, I think it may have been Bicep and they used the C word in their trailers on the station. Mildly infuriating in itself but what made it worse was the way the person said it, like it had a silent U, it then became nails on a blackboard levels of irritating and the trailer played for weeks

• Like 2

For our anniversary, my wife and I have finally made the crossover to vinyl, purchasing a Sony turntable and Sonos speakers as a present to each other.

There's no decent vinyl stores in Tamworth that I'm aware of, so I wondered where some of you vinyl snobs get yours from online? I'm not a big fan of chain stores and big businesses, I'd prefer independent retailers if possible. I also ask as I'd rather use one recommended and trusted, rather than blindly browsing.

@Jonesy7211 I've bought new online at Rough Trade and Norman Records but online I tend to buy from the labels themselves but as I like fairly obscure stuff this tends to be from the likes of Invada, On-U Sound and Castles in Space. To be honest I’ve never had a problem buying online but prefer to use a shop because I like browsing

For more mainstream stuff there’s always HMV but they are often very expensive

But google says there is a place called rebel records in Tamworth, looks very much like a collectors store though, it’s in an industrial unit somewhere

• Thanks 1

Â