VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

19 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I seem to recall your brother being a rocker. It has a time and a place I suppose. 

Yeah he’s still very much that end of things, we have almost no cross over of bands we both like. 

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Alright, I was skeptical but there are a few genuinely good songs on the new Stones record. 

Agreed. It's not a masterpiece, but it's better than it has any right to be, given their age. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I always love weird tour locations, especially UK ones that miss out that London, but this one had me rolling.

No London, no Birmingham, no Manchester...can't miss out Bedford though :D 

Uq7JXYh.png

It's the diametric opposite of US acts that announce a 'UK tour' consisting of London, Manchester and Glasgow. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I always love weird tour locations, especially UK ones that miss out that London, but this one had me rolling.

Uq7JXYh.png

Nice little venue Esquires. 

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

...but it's better than it has any right to be, given their age. 

My favourite album in the Senior category this year is Wreckless Eric's 'Leisureland'.

Had it on in the background first time, kept going back to check if it was the same album?

The first track was pretty much what I expected, then it wanders off on an oddball journey.

• Like 2

On 21/10/2023 at 07:33, mjmooney said:

Agreed. It's not a masterpiece, but it's better than it has any right to be, given their age. 

Not heard this Mr Mooney. Do you know who the drummer is on this; presumably recorded after Charlie Watts died.

10 minutes ago, veloman said:

Not heard this Mr Mooney. Do you know who the drummer is on this; presumably recorded after Charlie Watts died.

Steve Jordan.

Although Watts plays on two tracks so they must’ve been in the can for some time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, veloman said:

Someone called Steve Jordan, chosen by Watts himself I think but Watts drums on some of the tracks

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 09:27, bickster said:

Someone called Steve Jordan, chosen by Watts himself I think but Watts drums on some of the tracks

Steve Jordan is a top, top drummer, with a hugely impressive CV

Steve Jordan (born January 14, 1957) is an American musical director, producer, songwriter, and musician. Currently, he is the drummer for The Rolling Stones. During the 1970s and 1980s, he was a member of the bands for the television shows Saturday Night Live and Late Night with David Letterman….

Edited by blandy
Extract added
  • Like 1

Several guest artists on the Stones album. Bill Wyman returns for one track (one of the Watts ones, natch), MsCartney plays bass on another, plus Elton John and Stevie Wonder on keys, and Lady Gaga singing. 

Like I said, wouldn't want to overhype it as a classic album, it ain't. But it's a decent effort, worth a listen if you've ever liked the Stones. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1

On 21/10/2023 at 12:36, Davkaus said:

Uq7JXYh.png

Of the 3 venues on that list I've been to:

The Bullingdon's a bit naff.

Key Club is alright but there's better, similar sized venues in Leeds. That said, its proximity to both Jumbo Records and a comprehensively stocked chilli/hot sauce shop are definitely in its favour.

Cluny I only went to the first time this year and I loved it, great vibe albeit a bit of a squeeze, and it's a bit of a pain to get to from the city centre.

Can't think where we were talking about the beatles blue album but just seen that they're rereleasing it with an extra disc... €80...and the additional 9 songs are nowhere near the quality of the other 2 discs, same with the red but that's 12 songs with a couple of decent ones on there

Feels like a weird cash grab

Â