VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

17 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Axl was a diva, but I loved his stage outfits which were changed every other song

That alone is enough to put me off a band. I want to listen to musicians, not watch a fashion show. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

What? Even before Sabbath? 

Yep, GNR was the first rock band I was into. I’d heard sabbath by then because they were my grandads favourite band, but believe it or not they were too dark and heavy as a young skin growing up. War Pigs made me feel very uneasy, and there was a live video my grandad had which I tried to watch but again they just made me feel uneasy and they looked scary. GNR looked cool to me at that age, Sabbath looked menacing with their beards and didn’t look cool at the time . Appetite For Destruction was the first album I fell in love with and to this day I regard it as one of my all time favourite albums. It weren’t long after I caught the sabbath and led zeppelin bug, but even then Id been into Deep Purple for quite a bit before them as my mate was a huge purple fan. So yeah GNR and Deep Purple were before Sabbath.

• Like 1

Been in this house since Feb 2021, haven't alphabeticised my CDs and it's been a real pain. Not even sure if I own albums, so end up buying multiples of stuff. Didn't really have the time. Tomorrow I am finally putting them in alphabetical order. Unless I can't be bothered. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Been in this house since Feb 2021, haven't alphabeticised my CDs and it's been a real pain. Not even sure if I own albums, so end up buying multiples of stuff. Didn't really have the time. Tomorrow I am finally putting them in alphabetical order. Unless I can't be bothered. 

Yeah…no. For whatever reason, their robustness, the jewel cases, those little plastic hinges that snap, for whatever reason I treat CD’s with minimal respect.

Most are taken out of their case and they are put in a sort of wallet that will hold about 120 discs and I’ve got a number of those cases. The stuff most often played, that wallet will be under a sofa out the conservatory or some such place. It might actually currently be on top of a pile of redundant skateboards I think.

Others will just be in random places, 2 in a drawer normally reserved for sellotape and blu tac, one in a fruit bowl that also contains headphone jacks. I found Punkt by Faust the other day on a bookcase between some gardening books.

I have next to no system for CD’s. Other than, I had hundreds in an old drawer unit out the garage and the moisture of the garage caused the drawers to swell and jamb. So I wrote ‘dad’s private store, private, keep out, private, danger’ and drew a skull and cross bones. That **** was opened by one of the kids within 2 days.

Can’t be arsed with CD’s to the point I can’t find a picture of one, so here’s some stained glass instead.

spacer.png

Edited by chrisp65

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah…no. For whatever reason, their robustness, the jewel cases, those little plastic hinges that snap, for whatever reason I treat CD’s with minimal respect.

Most are taken out of their case and they are put in a sort of wallet that will hold about 120 discs and I’ve got a number of those cases. The stuff most often played, that wallet will be under a sofa out the conservatory or some such place. It might actually currently be on top of a pile of redundant skateboards I think.

Others will just be in random places, 2 in a drawer normally reserved for sellotape and blu tac, one in a fruit bowl that also contains headphone jacks. I found Punkt by Faust the other day on a bookcase between some gardening books.

I have next to no system for CD’s. Other than, I had hundreds in an old drawer unit out the garage and the moisture of the garage caused the drawers to swell and jamb. So I wrote ‘dad’s private store, private, keep out, private, danger’ and drew a skull and cross bones. That **** was opened by one of the kids within 2 days.

The issue I have had is after every birthday and Christmas I update a wishlist, usually adding the next chronological album by some artist that I like but am not desperate to buy their CDs with my own money, and every birthday and Christmas I am fairly certain that I have the album but not entirely sure. Thats how you end up with 3 copies of Tim McGraws Southern Voice. By you, I mean me, obviously.

• Like 1

The thought of my CDs all out of their cases and in those book/wallet things puts me on edge :D

Only issue I have is a few cases are different sizes, whether it’s a limited edition or just for the hell of it. And my shelves are for cases of standard height so my copy of “Takk…”, which is significantly taller than the average CD case, has to lie across on top of the S section.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Only issue I have is a few cases are different sizes, whether it’s a limited edition or just for the hell of it. And my shelves are for cases of standard height

Yes. This. Same here. Standards, people, standards. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The thought of my CDs all out of their cases and in those book/wallet things puts me on edge :D

Only issue I have is a few cases are different sizes, whether it’s a limited edition or just for the hell of it. And my shelves are for cases of standard height so my copy of “Takk…”, which is significantly taller than the average CD case, has to lie across on top of the S section.

My Takk is fine - normal size. But Kristin Hersh and Throwing Muses, too - I've got some CDs that came with books. Bless her an all but they don't fit with all the others. And SVIIB released Babylonia in a box with a load of Brian ENO cards inside. That doesn't fit either.

• Like 1

I like Taylor Swift, regular posters will know this, but I also appreciate that she makes it difficult at times with her willingness to gouge fans for every cent they may have. Her forthcoming rerecord of 1989 currently sits at 10 physical versions, the vinyl version was 4 different sleeves, and 4 different limited edition coloured vinyl. But still her fans, of which I am one are reluctant to criticise her. This week she releases her concert film of the eras tour, the one you had to jump through hoops to even be in the running to buy a ticket for, and yes I am still bitter. The film comes out this week. The Exorcist film at my local Odeon is 10.00, Taylor Swifts film is 22.89, and I believe not part of the Odeon subscription. 

I like Taylor Swift, regular posters will know this, but I also appreciate that she makes it difficult at times with her willingness to gouge fans for every cent they may have. Her forthcoming rerecord of 1989 currently sits at 10 physical versions, the vinyl version was 4 different sleeves, and 4 different limited edition coloured vinyl. But still her fans, of which I am one are reluctant to criticise her. This week she releases her concert film of the eras tour, the one you had to jump through hoops to even be in the running to buy a ticket for, and yes I am still bitter. The film comes out this week. The Exorcist film at my local Odeon is 10.00, Taylor Swifts film is 22.89, and I believe not part of the Odeon subscription. 

If it makes you feel any better, corporate rebels The Rolling Stones have released a different cover of their new album for each of the 30 Major League Baseball franchises in the US.

• Haha 1

There's a new Dylan album out - an expanded edition of his 1978 'Live at Budokan'. 4CD set - £200. I didn't even like the original album, but the stupid completist addict in me still had a finger hovering over the 'Buy now' button. 

But no, not this time. They're taking the piss. 

Apparently , Madonna is touring around now. The BBC Breakfast show interviewed her "Musical Director"; He said that there would be no actual band on stage with her; is that the way music is going I wonder? Driven purely by profit from the Tour perhaps ?

Could equally go in the Getting Older thread, but hey ho... 

(1) On my 40th birthday, I had a party, and selected all the music for it - actually about eight hours' worth of my favourite tracks. 

(2) On my 60th, I used the same music. 

(3) 70th coming up in January, and I'm using it again. 

Changing technology: 

(1) was cassette mixtapes (recorded from vinyl) 

(2) was CDRs (burned from other CDs and downloads) 

(3) will be a Spotify playlist 

If I make it to 80, I expect it will be some sort of brain implant. 

• Haha 1

I've never seen anything like the Taylor swift ticket registration thing

And Elton John made a rumoured $939m from his never ending farewell tour so you can see why they do it

Saw earlier Madonna has 40 songs on her tour, I couldn't even name 20 Madonna songs

Â