VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Can't think where we were talking about the beatles blue album but just seen that they're rereleasing it with an extra disc... €80...and the additional 9 songs are nowhere near the quality of the other 2 discs, same with the red but that's 12 songs with a couple of decent ones on there

Feels like a weird cash grab

Talking of weird cash grabs, imagine finding a Lennon tape from 1979 and describing it as the last Beatles song.

Toot and a Snore should get a release. If "Beatles" material is being plundered and cleaned up, they could dress that up as the last work of Lennon and McCartney and give it an official release. 

• Like 1

Today I bought an album (on CD) called Battle of the Wills released in 1980 by a bloke called Tymon Dogg. No idea what it sounds like as I haven’t played it yet. I'm imagining it to be folky with violins but only time will tell. I just find the whole scene he was part of quite fascinating but his story is kind of interesting in itself.

It seems he was from Formby and used to play at The Cavern and other clubs in Liverpool when he was only 15 but soon enough he gets a record contract and moves to that London, releasing this as a single. (Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones as session men)

He then leaves Pye Records for Apple where he’s booked in for a recording session to be produced by Peter Asher (of Peter and Gordon, Jane Asher’s brother), Pull McCarthorse on piano and James Taylor on guitar, except he buggers off with the master tapes because he thinks they are trying to turn him into Herman and the Hermit.

So then he moves on to touring with The Moody Blues and he and Justin Hayward write some songs together which results in this single…

So so far we're in typical had the opportunities but didn’t quite make it territory and he kind of drifts off the pop scene and finds himself in the Notting Hill squat scene and is just playing folk clubs.

Now that squat scene is where British punk and Post-punk was born. One of his fellow squatters was none other than Joe Strummer, who he kind of takes under his wing and mentors him through the 101ers and the early days of the Clash. Also living in their squat at this time were The Slits (and presumably nearby or even in this house was Nora Forster, Ari Up's mother and future wife of John Lydon). There were lots of other artists in and around too for this is also the scene that would spawn On-U Sound and spread its tentacles to via Y Records to Bristol and influence their scene too. A complete melting pot. Anywaytime moves on and Dogg moves out of the squat.

Later on he's collaborating with the Clash on Sandinista and Combat Rock. But one of his Sandinista tracks was released as a single under his name Lose This Skin and The Clash got no mention on the single at all, it is therefore probably the rarest single by The Clash to find. The Clash implode and what happens happens but before Sandinista was released he released his album Battle of Wills on Dick O'Dell's Y records, home to the Slits, The Pop Group, Maximum Joy et al, His was the last ever release and it was only rereleased the other week for the first time (it’s this album I bought today). Dogg continues but has already moved to the North East to live. 
image.jpeg

He then works with the likes of Ian Hunter (Mott the Hoople) and Ellen Foley before returning to help the Clash with Combat Rock. The clash then implode and he and Strummer lose touch. He carries on working and does stuff with the Poison Girls and often supported them.

In 2000 Strummer and Dogg are reunited at some poetry competition organised by Michael Horrovitz and perform an impromptu set with bizarrely Lilly Allen on backing vocals (her live debut), from that point forward he joins Strummer in the Mescaleros until Strummers unlikely demise.

I just find the inter connectivity of these things fascinating and I have an obvious interest in that Ladbroke Grove squat scene and what it produced but Tymon Dogg seems to have lived through a lot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

so here it is  ...

tbf , having heard the original demo way way way back , they've done a pretty decent job polishing a turd  

Cleaned it up very nicely. It is a late period Lennon song featuring three other musicians but I will take that. 

• Like 2

Just now, chrisp65 said:

More a truism than a joke.

David Quantick is better than that, but also absolutely true. On the ever growing cassette that was left "For Paul" there is another track, but George Harrison isnt around to contribute, that I am sure will be the next, absolutely final, final Beatles song. Just add AI Harrison. Or maybe there is a recording of George, Ringo and Paul playing at Claptons wedding and Robot Lennon could be added to that. If this is, as Quantick alludes to, if this is the final Beatles song, I will eat my hat, file with Elton Johns final ever UK date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

so here it is  ...

tbf , having heard the original demo way way way back , they've done a pretty decent job polishing a turd  

Dull, dull, dull. I gave it one listen out of curiosity, but won't be revisiting it. 

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Dull, dull, dull. I gave it one listen out of curiosity, but won't be revisiting it. 

yeah that's about the size of it ... the video comes out tomorrow , I'll probably watch that out of curiosity and then be done with it 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

so here it is  ...

Dreadfully dull but could only be made worse when the Gallagher brothers decide to rip it off 😂

• Like 1

Need a bit of help. A band in the 2000s covered The Streets, I think it was Fit but you know it. I thought it was Little Man Tate, definitely a band from that era and NOT Slaves or The Futureheads or anything recent. Zero evidence from a search. Ring any bells at all?

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Need a bit of help. A band in the 2000s covered The Streets, I think it was Fit but you know it. I thought it was Little Man Tate, definitely a band from that era and NOT Slaves or The Futureheads or anything recent. Zero evidence from a search. Ring any bells at all?

I doubt you mean that one 😉

Some proper youngsters before they were famous on that

Â