VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Right, so this afternoon as said I went through all of A Perfect Circles albums. Standouts per album -

Mer de Noms

The Hollow

Judith

3 Libras

Sleeping Beauty

Thirteenth Step

Thinking of You

The Package

Weak and Powerless

The Noose

The Outsider

Pet

eMotive

What's Going On

Passive

Eat the Elephant

The Doomed 

So Long...

Talktalk 

By and Down the River

Hourglass

Feathers

A Perfect Circle have done some good songs.

But favourites from those standouts?

One of the few songs where the video actually makes it better, purely because of that moment where Paz puts her hair up during the breakdown. But it's also a good rock track and a perfect debut song. And it's got MJK giving one of his most straight forward but still powerful attacks on something personal to him - his mother's faith and what happened to her. Banger.

It's the most... straightforward of a 00s alt rock you can imagine. But it's a banger. It's also possibly the most emo-y lyric MJK has done but it's still got some balls to it. Great track.

What if the Cure's Lullaby was done by a cynical US alt-rock band? You get a thumping riff and bassline and a sneering, crooning shouting lead performances describing a near apocalyptic nightmare. Awesome.

One of the non covers off a cover album. Another great 00s rock song, and as the video shows, the kind of thing a movie is going to put on its soundtrack, with the big driving rhythm and clear, powerful and articulate lyrics, particularly the chorus.

The most understated single off the last album, but I've always quite liked the hypocrisy embodied content and the sarcasm of it. And it's a solid rock track even if you set aside the vocals.

It is a banger. It shouldn't work, but it does.

And the last one. A slow ballad-y finisher, and kinda epitomises the whole album's themes of societal decay. It's kind of the depressed ballad counterpart to So Longs... joyful 'everything's ****, so **** it have fun' jam.

Great band.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

How many bands would play two consecutive nights at the same venue and unannounced before the day just rock up and play completely unique set lists?

The National are the best band in the world right now, and in history.

Just had a look at the set lists.

Nearly 60 songs across both nights, and All the Wine still doesn’t get a look in <_<

I’ll have to carry on getting drunk and performing it in my living room. 

• Like 1

Favourite band.

That’s how I’d put it. They’re probably my favourite band (even if I didn’t enjoy the last album quite as much as I did their previous six or seven, still a few good songs on there).

Them or the Floyd, I guess.

I think I said recently elsewhere (the best song thread?) as I get older I have fewer definitive “X is the best… whatever” opinions. Everything is a bit more nuanced and some good things have particular merit for me where other good things don’t and vice versa.

But I agree with the general enthusiasm of FOY’s post.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Favourite band.

That’s how I’d put it. They’re probably my favourite band (even if I didn’t enjoy the last album quite as much as I did their previous six or seven, still a few good songs on there).

Them or the Floyd, I guess.

I think I said recently elsewhere (the best song thread?) as I get older I have fewer definitive “X is the best… whatever” opinions. Everything is a bit more nuanced and some good things have particular merit for me where other good things don’t and vice versa.

But I agree with the general enthusiasm of FOY’s post.

Have you heard the new new album?

The general consensus is that Laugh Track is the best since TWFM, and I tend to agree despite being a huge fan of both IAETF and FTPOF.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

Just now, fightoffyour said:

New, new album in off topic. New, new badge in on topic…:D

No, not yet. I heard literally a bit of smoke detector and part of another but I forget what. Have you?

The general reaction seems positive (based on fan comments I’ve seen). I’m not expecting them to write another “The Geese of Beverly Road”, but I think they could do another “I’ll Still Destroy You”. I’d be happy with that.

13 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Sorry forgot to add the IMO 😉

I don’t see any other suggestions forthcoming though 

The best band in the world is the National, but the National with Danny Carey on drums, Kier Starmer on vocals and lyrics, with Bob Dylan on backing vocals, singing songs exclusively from their seminal album Centrist Orgasm, **** theBeatles Corbyn Smalldick Doodoohead, in Scousechester. With an encore consisting of the hit singles DHUTWU, Cod, **** All Corners, Bad Toilet, French Cinema '66 and FPL Blues.

There shall be no argument.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

The general consensus is that Laugh Track is the best since TWFM, and I tend to agree despite being a huge fan of both IAETF and FTPOF.

Waiting to hear if the laugh is at me or you actually didn’t know there was a(nother) new album 

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

New, new album in off topic. New, new badge in on topic…:D

No, not yet. I heard literally a bit of smoke detector and part of another but I forget what. Have you?

The general reaction seems positive (based on fan comments I’ve seen). I’m not expecting them to write another “The Geese of Beverly Road”, but I think they could do another “I’ll Still Destroy You”. I’d be happy with that.

Smoke detector is a banger, space invader is also up there. Yeah I love it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Waiting to hear if the laugh is at me or you actually didn’t know there was a(nother) new album 

No, no as I say it’s the “new new” thing that we’re seemingly dealing with on a couple of fronts this year :) I did see someone elsewhere talking about the new album the other week and for a few days I assumed they were on about the previous one from this year. 

That’s good to hear that you love it, I’m meaning to get round to giving it a proper listen. Usually takes me a while to get into, although weirdly the last album which I don’t think is their best I found myself really quite liking 3/4 songs pretty much instantly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

And better than Sleep Well Beast I take it? That one took me a while to get into. Way longer than it should have done.

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

And better than Sleep Well Beast I take it? That one took me a while to get into. Way longer than it should have done.

Too early to say, and i like all of the albums to much. I was claiming IAETF as their best record for a while.

19 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Too early to say, and i like all of the albums too much. I was claiming IAETF as their best record for a while.

…Easy to Find I would consider to be a real contender of being their best if it was shorter. I can’t get on with the interludes and, maybe controversially, I don’t much care for Not in Kansas. Make it eleven songs long and it’s up there.

• Like 1

Since I'm pretty sure I've never heard a note by, and couldn't name a song or an album by The National - and they are apparently the best band in history - I'm giving it a listen right now. 

Will report back. 

• Thanks 1

OK, it didn't take long before I got bored with The National. It's inoffensive enough, but basically rather dull and generic. Sounds like a million other bands of that type. Best band in history? You're having a laugh. 

Now undertaking my promised exploration of Tool's 'Lateralus'. First impressions - not the sort of thing I'd put on by choice, but interesting, so far. They've got something, for sure. 

• Like 1

So, Tool. Yeah, not bad at all. Like I say, not the sort of thing I play that often, but pretty good in its genre. 

I can see the Opeth comparison. I think I'm one of the few people that really likes the Mikael Åkerfeldt/Steven Wilson collaboration 'Storm Corrosion'. 

Â