VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

There is a 50th anniversary reissue of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon.

I’ve never knowingly heard anything from that album and couldn’t name a track. Is that a music equivalent of never having seen Star Wars?

• Shocked 3

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I’ve never knowingly heard anything from that album and couldn’t name a track. Is that a music equivalent of never having seen Star Wars?

I tried as part of doing the Rs 500 albums

I definitley don't get it or them but I can name 2 PF songs, brick in the wall and money and money is on that album

• Like 1

11 hours ago, veloman said:

Apparently , Madonna is touring around now. The BBC Breakfast show interviewed her "Musical Director"; He said that there would be no actual band on stage with her; is that the way music is going I wonder? Driven purely by profit from the Tour perhaps ?

It’s something I find disappointing, that people will pay £100 to be at the back of a stadium and watch Madonna et al on a big screen.

Down the road that same night will be a cracking good fun £10 gig where you can tell the drummer later that you really enjoyed that third track and can you sign my CD.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I tried as part of doing the Rs 500 albums

I definitley don't get it or them but I can name 2 PF songs, brick in the wall and money and money is on that album

Ahhh, I’d know and recognise Money, didn’t know it was on that album.

Supposedly one of Roger’s show at the London Palladium to mark the 50th anniversary of “Dark Side…” was different. 

First half of the show (about an hour long) two songs were played and he reportedly spent thirty or so minutes reading some unpublished memoirs off a laptop (including an anecdote about a duck that lives with him) before telling some of the restless crowd to **** off. Didn’t spit at them this time.

In fairness it sounds like it picked up in the second half.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If that’s the new version, as in the one that Waters has completely re-recorded? it is utterly shit.

Waters lost the plot a long time ago but now he’s completely away with fairies and that’s before you bring his politics into it.

But my god, that new version is mind bendingly awful. It’s like he’s trying to erase the rest of the band from the album to prove DSOTM was all him…. If that was his intention, he’s proved the opposite 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There's a new Dylan album out - an expanded edition of his 1978 'Live at Budokan'. 4CD set - £200. I didn't even like the original album, but the stupid completist addict in me still had a finger hovering over the 'Buy now' button. 

But no, not this time. They're taking the piss. 

I had that album on cassette in the mid-80s and loved it back then.  I listened to a track the other day and thought, "What was he thinking?"

Had one of them moments tonight when you hear a new song for the first time and it just scratches an itch you didn't even know you had, love that feeling. The new Bring Me The Horizon song - Darkside. It will definitely not be everyones cup of tea, think it's very kind of Linkin Park vibes, heavy pop. 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was once debating to have a tattoo reading Roger Waters is a clearing in the woods

you should have done, if Johnny Rotten blagged his boy band audition on the basis of hating them on a t-shirt imagine what a tattoo could have done for you...

• Like 1

Ah, I didn’t even know there were ‘versions’ of DSOTM and yes going back and looking at the ad it is a ‘new and fully remastered’ version which I guess means he’s done something to it. The bit that caught my eye was it came with a posters and stickers and was still under £20 which I found surprising. I’d have expected that to have been your typical £35 in Urban Outfitters all day long.

I’ve seen little bits of Pink Floyd concerts when channel hopping and they’ll be on some Sky Arts or BBC 4 type channel and it just looked and sounded so utterly dull I’ve never had the inclination to pay them any attention.

I am OK with Pink Floyd, I own dark side of the moon and like a few other albums by them. They were my go to soundtrack when I smoked the devils cabbage. I do think though, and this is perhaps where I might get push back, I think their early stuff with Syd Barrett was shit and anything later than The Wall was dreadful. 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am OK with Pink Floyd, I own dark side of the moon and like a few other albums by them. They were my go to soundtrack when I smoked the devils cabbage. I do think though, and this is perhaps where I might get push back, I think their early stuff with Syd Barrett was shit and anything later than The Wall was dreadful. 

No, I'm with you there. 

And I'd include The Wall in the 'dreadful' category, I can't stand it. Prime Pink Floyd for me is the post-Syd, pre-Wall era. In fact I actually began to go off them from Dark Side onwards. I loved DSotM when it came out, but there was something too slick and polished about it, and I soon tired of it. Same went for WYWH and Animals. 

The only Floyd albums that I (occasionally) play these days are the run from 68 to 72 - A Saucerful of Secrets, More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Obscured by Clouds. 

15 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m not keen on Atom Heart Mother album

You're in good company. Most Floyd fans, and even the band themselves, don't think much of it. 

Perversely, It's my favourite Floyd album. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You're in good company. Most Floyd fans, and even the band themselves, don't think much of it. 

Perversely, It's my favourite Floyd album. 

That’s normally the way Mike. Unpopular albums put down by the band and average fan but find a way into many other peoples heart. There’s albums I like that get totally slammed but overtime I think I actually like this album. 

• Like 1

I like pretty much everything from Meddle up to about half of the stuff on The Wall, so essentially the majority of their 70’s output. Either side of that I cherry pick stuff.

While I’m not sure it’s my favourite, arguably Dark Side is the focal point of their entire catalogue. It’s kinda like they were working their way to making that album, everything prior was building towards it. And things changed following the album’s success.

In some ways it’s the last time they collectively worked together as a band. Wish You Were Here, I think Nick conceded that he didn’t really have anything to contribute and the iron grip of Waters tightened with further recordings.

The voices are still a great touch. “He was crusin’ for a brusin’” , “I don’t know I was really drunk at the time.” Naomi Watts’ dad Peter provides the slightly manic laugh on Brain Damage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

You dub heads out there might enjoy the Easy star All Stars - Dub Side of the Moon more perhaps.

Oh and philistines the pair of you :)

I.m no hater of PF, I have a copy of pretty much everything up to The Wall (apart from maybe relics.) 

Easy Stars All Stars I can take or leave tbh, it's ok but it's a bit too cartoony for my liking

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah, I didn’t even know there were ‘versions’ of DSOTM and yes going back and looking at the ad it is a ‘new and fully remastered’ version which I guess means he’s done something to it. The bit that caught my eye was it came with a posters and stickers and was still under £20 which I found surprising. I’d have expected that to have been your typical £35 in Urban Outfitters all day long.

I’ve seen little bits of Pink Floyd concerts when channel hopping and they’ll be on some Sky Arts or BBC 4 type channel and it just looked and sounded so utterly dull I’ve never had the inclination to pay them any attention.

There weren’t versions until Waters released that Redux thing the other week

I think the 50th anniversary version is just your standard DSOTM remastered (again!!!) its a cash it.

I suspect the Waters Redux is just him trying to take the shine off the other release and claim it was all him all along whilst continuing the long running feud he has with his former band mates, a band he decided to leave

• Like 2

Â