Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

10 hours ago, Dave-R said:

What even if it does get us champions League football and league title wins, I think the cost is worth it because I'm not the one paying for it, it will be our Owners and if they see it as possible and willing to support it, then it would happen.

Isnt this essentially where were trying to head though, players who usually are on those wages are the best in the world.

Genuine question....are you really making these points in reference to the Summer Transfer Window 2021???

5 minutes ago, eholm said:

Genuine question....are you really making these points in reference to the Summer Transfer Window 2021???

Well I spose it depends on whether FFP is scrapped before the Summer if it does even get scrapped at all. I am also talking about the future so yeah I spose 21-22 season and beyond. The club does have to keep pushing on and the signings we make do have to keep getting stronger and better. If we're to compete next Summer and beyond we can't keep buying the bracket of players we have been buying. We have to improve on what we have even if that means first team players move to the bench. Sure if we can find deals fantastic if they work out. We shouldn't deny ourselves the opportunity to sign a player who's on 100k+ each week, so long as they work out and so the job, especially if it gets us to Europe..

22 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Well I spose it depends on whether FFP is scrapped before the Summer if it does even get scrapped at all. I am also talking about the future so yeah I spose 21-22 season and beyond. The club does have to keep pushing on and the signings we make do have to keep getting stronger and better. If we're to compete next Summer and beyond we can't keep buying the bracket of players we have been buying. We have to improve on what we have even if that means first team players move to the bench. Sure if we can find deals fantastic if they work out. We shouldn't deny ourselves the opportunity to sign a player who's on 100k+ each week, so long as they work out and so the job, especially if it gets us to Europe..

I think you will have to wait until at least Summer 2022 window before we are anywhere near spending £100k salaries as standard for new players. I agree we have to continuously improve but these things take time and that level of spending is a future aspiration as opposed to a current reality. 

Edited by eholm
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would anyone take Ashley Young back on a free? 

If the alternative continued to be Trez and AEG. I would. 

Edit: just realised he’ll be 36 for next season. Maybe wouldn’t be a good idea. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I wonder if we’ll do an Everton and try sign players that have excelled in the premier league for so called small clubs.  You end up paying top dollar so probably don’t get value for money but will still improve us and they hit the ground running.

Thinking of players like Bissouma, St Maxim, McNeil etc.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wonder if we’ll do an Everton and try sign players that have excelled in the premier league for so called small clubs.  You end up paying top dollar so probably don’t get value for money but will still improve us and they hit the ground running.

It would be a good strategy in solidifying out status as a top 10 Premier League club. All three of the players you mention would walk into our side and make us much stronger and more creative. They're not world beaters, and we wouldn't crack the top 4 with them, but they would strengthen us significantly. 

I don't think that is the strategy the club wants to take though. I think there is a huge element of moneyball that goes into our scouting and our signings. We go after players from abroad for cheaper and who's value will increase when trained and played correctly. I also think the only way to break the top 4/6 is to find these gems abroad - unless you spend 150m on domestic talent which we won't do. 

Personally, Bissouma would be very high on my shopping list this summer but he'll attract interest from clubs in the top 4 I imagine. A DCM and RW+LW should be where the bulk of our transfer money goes this summer. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep, for me this a sensible strategy mate although these players will come with a hefty price due to the fabled PL experience. 

I still think the value is in Europe....where 2 of your examples originated. We should aim to be the FIRST PL club for those sort of players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

It would be a good strategy in solidifying out status as a top 10 Premier League club. All three of the players you mention would walk into our side and make us much stronger and more creative. They're not world beaters, and we wouldn't crack the top 4 with them, but they would strengthen us significantly. 

I don't think that is the strategy the club wants to take though. I think there is a huge element of moneyball that goes into our scouting and our signings. We go after players from abroad for cheaper and who's value will increase when trained and played correctly. I also think the only way to break the top 4/6 is to find these gems abroad - unless you spend 150m on domestic talent which we won't do. 

Personally, Bissouma would be very high on my shopping list this summer but he'll attract interest from clubs in the top 4 I imagine. A DCM and RW+LW should be where the bulk of our transfer money goes this summer. 

Great minds.....👍

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If the alternative continued to be Trez and AEG. I would. 

Edit: just realised he’ll be 36 for next season. Maybe wouldn’t be a good idea. 

I actually think he's probably still better than the aforementioned, even at 36. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Think we will shop mainly abroad or Championship again. We should be trying to unearth our own Bissouma etc

Though i think Bissouma is this seasons Leroy Fer, i wouldn't be up for signing him

• Like 1

Problem with trying to unearth our own Bisouma (just using him as example) you run the risk of ending up with a Trez, Nakamba or Engles. Some of these European leagues are very weak and whilst a player may excel in them they seem to struggle when making the move.   Our best signings since we got promoted have all been domestic ones.    

Either way hopefully it will be another exciting summer.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Problem with trying to unearth our own Bisouma (just using him as example) you run the risk of ending up with a Trez, Nakamba or Engles. Some of these European leagues are very weak and whilst a player may excel in them they seem to struggle when making the move.   Our best signings since we got promoted have all been domestic ones.    

Either way hopefully it will be another exciting summer.

True but we are in a better place to last season when all signings were thrown into together. We are a more settled team this season so should help with just a pre-season 

• Like 1