Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

9 minutes ago, eholm said:

Keeping Jack will be a real challenge this Summer imo. 

This summer no, next summer yes - if we haven’t broken into European football. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eholm said:

Keeping Jack will be a real challenge this Summer imo. 

Why?

Why it won’t be a challenge to keep him

- He has a long term contract

- No team can afford him now

- Even if somebody did have the budget they wouldn’t spend it all on Jack.  I don’t think teams this summer will do a Galactico type purchase or a PSG Neymar purchase in the current environment

- We have billionaire owners who want to build the club and have spent hundreds of millions so far, so aren’t going to sell their star player are they

- Jack signed a five year contract when we barely avoided relegation, why would he then leave after the brilliant season we’ve had.  That makes no sense.

- He’s a Villa fan, captain and gets to play for England.  If he wanted more than that after a year he wouldn’t have signed a five year contract.

To think he will leave in the summer in my opinion has no basis in logic or facts.  If you feel that way, I don’t know why, the chances of him leaving are too astonishingly high against it to think that way.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Still can’t see any club paying 100m+ for him.

I don’t even think that would be the price.....would you sell Jack for 100m, 120m...would Smith sell him for that money....would the owners.  I don’t anybody would.

After the hundreds of millions the club has invested in transfers, the vision the owners have, why sell your superstar.  You are setting the club back years because not only are you selling your captain, your superstar player but also players....quality players won’t come because you’ve sold your best player and we won’t be an attractive destination for those potential players.

It would seriously have be an incredible offer to even contemplate it and even then I’m not sure it makes sense.

• Like 1

Previous posts all have valid points. However, if he finishes the season as one of the top overall contributors in the league as well as more good England performances,  I do feel there will be firm interest 

Yes, I know he signed a 5 year deal and he’s Villa through and through etc, etc...but if given the opportunity to play at the top level I think he will want to take it. 26 in September and realistically it will take us at least another 3 years minimum to finish in top 4 by which time he’ll be getting too close to 30. 

I think both Manchester clubs and Liverpool will be interested and feel that they could well pay +£100M. 

I’d be gutted if he went - best player I’ve seen at Villa in my 40+ years - but just get the feeling that this Summer we will have a real fight on our hands. 

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t even think that would be the price.....would you sell Jack for 100m, 120m...would Smith sell him for that money....would the owners.  I don’t anybody would.

After the hundreds of millions the club has invested in transfers, the vision the owners have, why sell your superstar.  You are setting the club back years because not only are you selling your captain, your superstar player but also players....quality players won’t come because you’ve sold your best player and we won’t be an attractive destination for those potential players.

It would seriously have be an incredible offer to even contemplate it and even then I’m not sure it makes sense.

I wouldn’t sell him for £150M but we all know that the player holds the power. Every club has reluctantly sold their best players to other clubs, even Man Utd, that’s how the game works. 

I agree that it doesn’t make sense for us to sell him but we are not in the position YET where we can stop him leaving if a top club comes in. 

Utd and Liverpool will spend big in the Summer, irrespective of Covid, to try to catch City who will also invest massively again. 

Look, I hope to God I’m wrong but I genuinely believe it’s 50-50 this Summer. 

10 minutes ago, eholm said:

Previous posts all have valid points. However, if he finishes the season as one of the top overall contributors in the league as well as more good England performances,  I do feel there will be firm interest 

Yes, I know he signed a 5 year deal and he’s Villa through and through etc, etc...but if given the opportunity to play at the top level I think he will want to take it. 26 in September and realistically it will take us at least another 3 years minimum to finish in top 4 by which time he’ll be getting too close to 30. 

I think both Manchester clubs and Liverpool will be interested and feel that they could well pay +£100M. 

I’d be gutted if he went - best player I’ve seen at Villa in my 40+ years - but just get the feeling that this Summer we will have a real fight on our hands. 

We won't be finishing that far off europe so I reckon he'll give it one more year as we've shown huge progress on what we were 12 months back.

Add in four years left on his deal and we're in a strong position.

Do think when he gets to 27 though he'll have a big decision as it was around that age likes of Barry and Young started getting itchy feet and wanted to leave to win stuff and play in champions league but I'm confident we've got another 18 months of Jack and try to improve further and see what happens.

Edit; He easily could've left last summer if he really wanted to.

Edited by VillaChris

19 minutes ago, eholm said:

Why would we sell?  

Players have a lot of power I will admit but the harm to us would be immense so why would we sell?

As for the you mention

Liverpool - Klopp continually complains that they don’t spend big money or won’t spend big money so I think they won’t be involved

Man City - In Jacks position or even across that line behind the striker they have Sterling, Foden, De Bruyne, Silva, Mahrez and Gundogan.  I love Jack but is he worth spending well over 100m on when you already have that talent.  Especially Jacks position is covered by Sterling and Foden, arguably close to the same level as Jack.

Man Utd - who knows with them.  They didn’t come for him properly last summer, they bulked at the fee for Sancho (def right decision in hindsight).  They are apparently interested in Haaland now plus still have the issue at right forward and even Dan James played there tonight.  If they are bulking at Sancho’s price who they desperately wanted, are they really going to fork up for Jack with 4 years on his contract....I can’t see it.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they tried to unsettle him but I don’t think they’ll front up with the money.  Plus they have Rashford and Fernandes in the two positions Jack plays in.

I thought about this when it came up before, when you analyse each team individually, I can’t see the budget, the positional need or the environment in the current climate for the big teams in Europe, whether home or abroad to make a deal possible.  Generally it is one of those factors above or a combination of them.  That’s before even considering whether we’d entertain a bid.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We won't be finishing that far off europe so I reckon he'll give it one more year as we've shown huge progress on what we were 12 months back.

Add in four years left on his deal and we're in a strong position.

Do think when he gets to 27 though he'll have a big decision as it was around that age likes of Barry and Young started getting itchy feet and wanted to leave to win stuff and play in champions league but I'm confident we've got another 18 months of Jack and try to improve further and see what happens.

Edit; He easily could've left last summer if he really wanted to.

Hope so, mate. I’m intrigued about what was agreed within his new contract. Even Jack said at the time that up until a couple of days before signing he thought he would be leaving. Clearly he was told that we weren’t going to let him go and then a nice big pay rise......and MAYBE some sort of gentleman’s agreement about future bids etc?? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, eholm said:

I wouldn’t sell him for £150M but we all know that the player holds the power. Every club has reluctantly sold their best players to other clubs, even Man Utd, that’s how the game works. 

I agree that it doesn’t make sense for us to sell him but we are not in the position YET where we can stop him leaving if a top club comes in. 

Utd and Liverpool will spend big in the Summer, irrespective of Covid, to try to catch City who will also invest massively again. 

Look, I hope to God I’m wrong but I genuinely believe it’s 50-50 this Summer. 

United might but Liverpool won’t on one player, that’s common knowledge.  It’s one of Klopps biggest gripes.

I think there is less than a couple percent that Jack leaves (I actually think there is zero chance to be honest).  When you analyse it rather that gut feel there are far too many barriers and reasons for it to happen this summer.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why would we sell?  

Players have a lot of power I will admit but the harm to us would be immense so why would we sell?

As for the you mention

Liverpool - Klopp continually complains that they don’t spend big money or won’t spend big money so I think they won’t be involved

Man City - In Jacks position or even across that line behind the striker they have Sterling, Foden, De Bruyne, Silva, Mahrez and Gundogan.  I love Jack but is he worth spending well over 100m on when you already have that talent.  Especially Jacks position is covered by Sterling and Foden, arguably close to the same level as Jack.

Man Utd - who knows with them.  They didn’t come for him properly last summer, they bulked at the fee for Sancho (def right decision in hindsight).  They are apparently interested in Haaland now plus still have the issue at right forward and even Dan James played there tonight.  If they are bulking at Sancho’s price who they desperately wanted, are they really going to fork up for Jack with 4 years on his contract....I can’t see it.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they tried to unsettle him but I don’t think they’ll front up with the money.  Plus they have Rashford and Fernandes in the two positions Jack plays in.

I thought about this when it came up before, when you analyse each team individually, I can’t see the budget, the positional need or the environment in the current climate for the big teams in Europe, whether home or abroad to make a deal possible.  Generally it is one of those factors above or a combination of them.  That’s before even considering whether we’d entertain a bid.

All very good points and very logical. I’ve just got this nagging doubt that one of the big boys will find the money and make a real statement - moreso Utd or Liverpool. 

As I said I hope I’m completely and utterly wrong......

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

United might but Liverpool won’t on one player, that’s common knowledge.  It’s one of Klopps biggest gripes.

I think there is less than a couple percent that Jack leaves (I actually think there is zero chance to be honest).  When you analyse it rather that gut feel there are far too many barriers and reasons for it to happen this summer.

Yep....this game can be oh so illogical though sometimes!

Just now, eholm said:

All very good points and very logical. I’ve just got this nagging doubt that one of the big boys will find the money and make a real statement - moreso Utd or Liverpool. 

As I said I hope I’m completely and utterly wrong......

I’ll be surprised but if so it’ll be a very sad day but we’ll likely have 150m or so in our pockets to spend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eholm said:

Yep....this game can be oh so illogical though sometimes!

I’m more worried about the likes of Konsa, which are more likely to go than Jack because of contract situation, pay, non-Villa alliance etc etc.  We need to lockdown our key players now and build on them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Cheeky bid for Coutinho. :P 

Sounds mad doesn’t it but I wonder what the next step will be for Smith and the owners.  

Will we continue to try to find nuggets from the Championship/abroad or will they try for some a bit more proven, maybe players that have proven but dropped off a bit like Coutinho.

Everton got James, mainly because of Carlo link. Odergaard went to Arsenal.  I mean we are playing and mixing with those teams now so I wonder what the summer will bring and whether players will find us attractive yet or want to see another season of us repeating this level in the league.

Will we also spend the money, pay the wage levels and what about FFP....hmmm interesting summer.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, eholm said:

Liverpool couldn't afford what we would ask for Jack without selling one of Salah or Mane, and then why sell them to replace them with Jack around the same cost. 

City buying him would be like those big money FM moves where in Jan the player requests a transfer because he doesn't get enough playing time. trying to take away my villa lens, I just don't think he would be worth spending over 100 mil on just to be rotated by Pep and his system. 

United is the one that's a mystery for me. They wanted him last summer but didn't pay what we wanted. Chased Sancho as well and didn't want to pay the 120 mil that Dortmund wanted, and its just been another covid hit financial year so I don't know if they have the money to buy him while also buying players that they need -- as @nick76says above, they already have starting level players in the positions that Jack plays for us.

The wild card for me is PSG and Poch. I would think they could afford him, and if they sell Mbappe they would be in need of another high profile attacker. Would he want to go there though is the question.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m more worried about the likes of Konsa, which are more likely to go than Jack because of contract situation, pay, non-Villa alliance etc etc.  We need to lockdown our key players now and build on them.

Honestly think one of our first acts this summer will be to give Konsa a new 4-5 year deal. Would also give Martinez a new deal just in recognition of what an amazing season he's had and show how much we value him. Given he was a second choice keeper for a decade before turning up here he's probably not on that huge wages compared to many of our outfield players.

Getting those two signed up to long term deals would be nice boost before we look at getting in a couple of new players.

• Like 2