Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

30 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry but this is some predicting the future kind of stuff and over hype. Lol

There are MANY, very good young talents out there who could have the potential to equal or surpass Jack.

It's a HUGE world.

Jack isn't Pele, Maradonna, Fat Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Christiano or Messi, yet.

Let's calm down ffs.

I know we are meant to have " tunnel vision " re our own but.... ?

Unless you are talking just in England/UK; or Aston Villa?

He may not be Pele or one of the other players you mention but it’s hard to argue he’s not one of the best players in the premier league, which is one of the best leagues in the world.  

The chances of another person achieving that is so small, we are talking about getting into the 5% of the top of football.  I think you diminish his ability too quickly just like people go over the top about him.

Would you argue against Jack being in the top 100 players in Europe?  

Edited by nick76

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He may not be Pele or one of the other players you mention but it’s hard to argue he’s not one of the best players in the premier league, which is one of the best leagues in the world.  

The chances of another person achieving that is so small, we are talking about getting into the 5% of the top of football.  I think you diminish his ability too quickly just like people go over the top about him.

Of course not Nick, but what you have said is alot closer to reality.

The poster basically said there will never be another player as good as Jack in this generation. Lol

Not diminishing his ability at all, as I don't even think he has hit his peak yet.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

Talk of searching for “the next Grealish” is nonsensical. Grealish is a once in a generation player, you can’t buy them as they don’t exist. Our very best hopes of any sort of success are to retain Grealish and add some stardust around him. We need 3, more likely 4, really good talents to come into the 1st team, that would give us a chance to compete in amongst the top clubs. We need a top level LW, CF, DM as a minimum. A really good CM would be a bonus this summer. It’ll be harder to improve from here on, and more expensive. We won’t see the same size progress that we’ve seen the last 2-3 years. I’m very content with our 1st choice back 4, I think they can compete at the sharp end. I think McGinn can’t go any higher, he’s reached his ceiling, Ditto ElGhazi, Trezeguet. If we’re to continue to improve then those 3 would be stand ins next season. I think we’ll see further improvement from Traore, he can definitely be a match winner/game changer. Then we need real competition/alternative for Watkins. The final part of this season and summer transfer window will be pivotal to our ambitions/expectations 

I'm not sure about this mate. There's this guy in France who's meant to be pretty decent Mbappe or something. Keep an eye out for him.

5 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I'm not sure about this mate. There's this guy in France who's meant to be pretty decent Mbappe or something. Keep an eye out for him.

It's the bit you bolded which got me as well mate. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Edouard or tammy?

If these were the only two strikers we were looking at who would your preference be?

Personally Edouard - Better value and there is something about Abraham’s I’m just not convinced by (though couldn’t say why or name what) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

nope

but i would argue that there are a few hundred young talents capable of being on that list in the next 5 years, so the idea that we cant find another one is a bit off IMO

it'll be bloody hard but its not impossible

jack being a generational player for us says a lot more about aston villa, we've had a lot of shit to put up with

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Edouard or tammy?

If these were the only two strikers we were looking at who would your preference be?

Both improve us, both still very young, I think Tammy offers something we dont have: tall and a mischief in the box, whereas I think Edouard is more in the mould of Watkins, maybe a little more versatile thank Tammy. Would take either, even both. I think if Wesley kicks on and remains its possibly Edouard, but if not maybe we knwo what we are getting with Tammy and he offers that alternatove approach.

I think if we bought Tammy, Watkins would play wide left and Grealish back into the middle behind the front three. If its Edouard, it could be the same as just mentioned or maybe in place of and in competition with Watkins as the centre forward with Grealish out left?

Edited by thunderball

but i would argue that there are a few hundred young talents capable of being on that list in the next 5 years

Capable but very few will

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

jack being a generational player for us says a lot more about aston villa

Hmmm it does but aren’t other teams doing the same about their players, now and recently...

Man Utd - talking about Fernandes and comparisons of impact similar to Cantona and they have not had since

Man City - with Foden despite all their talent.  Pep can’t praise him enough.

We are highlighted more because we have less talent around him but it doesn’t lessen the talent he is and how few will ever realise that level of ability even though they have potential at a young age.  

It also shouldn’t be seen that he’s in that top five in the world level.......yet and may never be.  He keeps improving so who knows what his ceiling maybe but for us so far he’s being phenomenal so even if this is his ceiling he’ll go down as a legend for us if he continues it for us over the next few years.

I hate labels though...’whose top five’, ‘how many points will we get in the next game’, ‘what position will we end up’, ‘favourite Villa player of all time’....we need to just sit back and enjoy what we have and try not to label things.  I know modern society needs that kind of thing so I know it won’t change...

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Edouard or tammy?

It's a difficult one.

Tammy knows our club and has played at the higher level so i'd choose him.

If it's financial then Edouard would likely be way cheaper as the team he plays for are BROKE AS A JOKE!

• Haha 1

It's so tough to sign a player willing to bide their time to become our first choice vs Watkins.  Hopefully Dean has identified a gem from the lower leagues like Watkins or Cash that he can develop (the obvious one is Toney before he went to Brentford).  Signing someone like Tammy might be troublesome as you are probably tempted to play him and stick Ollie out wide just to keep both happy but to the detriment of the team.  I guess Edouard is coming from a lower league but I think there are teams that can offer him first team football from day 1.

Watkins has to earn the shirt,  as should every player (Grealish is a different case) Competition should help Watkins raise his game to the next levels and if not then replace him. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Where and when did he reject us, would you mind posting the link to this?

Pretty sure we were in for him after getting promoted but he decided to play for Chelsea

Watkins is a better player not sure why people even want this guy?

We can get better.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

nope

but i would argue that there are a few hundred young talents capable of being on that list in the next 5 years, so the idea that we cant find another one is a bit off IMO

it'll be bloody hard but its not impossible

jack being a generational player for us says a lot more about aston villa, we've had a lot of shit to put up with

I dunno about that. Jack has taken some strides the last two years. Pretty much any table of statistics I look at he's up top, or just behind KDB. There's very very few players that compare to him in the world of football in all age groups. The fact that he more or less kept us up last year, to driving us to contention of Europe this year. The second he's out and we look lost.

There's a reason why he's linked to every single top club in the country and why the English media needs a ballgag not to shout his name every international round. 

He's pretty fecking unique as a footballer and an athlete. Generational talent isn't too far fetched. 

As for there being so many other talents, it's some truth to that. But the difference between the generational talents and those who just are talents, are whether they have the ability to drive on and make it. Very very few have. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I dunno about that. Jack has taken some strides the last two years. Pretty much any table of statistics I look at he's up top, or just behind KDB. There's very very few players that compare to him in the world of football in all age groups. The fact that he more or less kept us up last year, to driving us to contention of Europe this year. The second he's out and we look lost.

There's a reason why he's linked to every single top club in the country and why the English media needs a ballgag not to shout his name every international round. 

He's pretty fecking unique as a footballer and an athlete. Generational talent isn't too far fetched. 

As for there being so many other talents, it's some truth to that. But the difference between the generational talents and those who just are talents, are whether they have the ability to drive on and make it. Very very few have. 

I'll give an example, if we signed Gareth Bale from Southampton instead of spurs would we consider jack a generational talent? Or de Bruyne from Chelsea instead of wolfsburg, or mane from Salzburg, or van dijk from celtic etc etc

Jack is a generational talent for us partly because he's a great player but also because he's so blatantly head and shoulders above everyone else we've had play for us in the last 20 years... Part of that is because of who has played for us in the last 20 years... 

And the history of the PL and football in general shows that there's always talent out there and that they dont only end up at the CL clubs, they can move about a bit soon, if Southampton and Leicester etc can find them then so can we

I disagree that we'll never find another player of Grealishs quality 

• Like 1