Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Yeah there's making a point and then there's ridiculous statements... Benteke rarely scores (these days), Davis will NEVER score! Benteke has five goals this season... Davis won't score that many in the Premier League in his entire career! He's only got two at Championship level so I wouldn't be confident he'll reach 5 in that league over is career either!!

Of course, he just needs a loan then he'll come back world class...🤔🤣

If we brought tekers back here I feel wed be going a mile backwards, we are so much better than that type of signing now. I think we should sell Davis and few others, the club needs to keep moving on forwards. If you listen to Hourihanes words last day or two he even says as much as he loves Villa, the club is now moving on from certain players.

To be real competitive we need to find the right player who can put one heck of a Grealish type display in most games of the season.

Heard Smith other day sayings on the look out for the type of player who doesnt just look out for themself. While I agree on this I also do not mind abit of selfishness if they can bring a thrashing to the team they play against and back up there ego with a world level display, I think it's possible to have one or two of those at Villa.

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

Comparable to El Ghazi?

There will be some sales this summer and I feel we need much much better than Ghazi and Trez on the wings.

I feel as though we need more creativity from two new wingers, an attacking midfielder and another striker in the summer if Wesley's return is still not in sight or if Wesley plays he doesnt bring his best to the field. That still doesnt mean I'd sell Wesley straight away but if we were to find another striker to challenge Watkins then at least we can be more patient with Wesley and use him as the third option. I'd maybe sell Davis because I do not think the premier is his level yet and may need alot of time at championship level, to much in fact that I fear he may never be good enough for a club who want to be in the upper half of the premier.

But we now need to up the level of signings coming to the club and somehow manage to pulling the kind of signings UTD, Spurs, Chelsea, Pool and City make.

• Like 1

I feel there maybe a couple of first teamers like Luiz and McGinn who may this summer be challenging for a first team place because they are subs next season so long as we put the money in to buying better than them. I do think that we must buy better than the best we currently have and it's going to be an expensive spend.

As others have mentioned in this thread that the current circumstances have put alot of clubs at financial stress. We can however benefit from some top European clubs selling players they dont want to sell but have no choice. We can take advantage of others misfortune and we should do by all means because they would us and did so to many times in the past and in some ways it would feel like the tables have turned.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Benteke's would feel like having what we have already in Davis, Neither can score.

I'm one of Davis biggest defenders, but comparing Davis and Benteke is farcical IMO.

I too am mostly against romanticising/revisiting old players, but I must admit in the last couple of games, I saw finishes from the ' Old ' Benteke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

We are not signing benteke. He doesnt fit in to any number of criteria, age, wages, sell on, pace etc.

Well said.

I really don't understand the obsession over Beneteke by many on here. What he was then isn't who he is now.

Shall we bring back Libor Kozak as well since we're on the subject of signing shit ex-strikers that are finished?

It appears obvious that some of our fans still have not learned anything from the last 10 years.

Thank christ we have two brilliant owners that wouldn't even entertain this idea.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm one of Davis biggest defenders, but comparing Davis and Benteke is farcical IMO.

I too am mostly against romanticising/revisiting old players, but I must admit in the last couple of games, I saw finishes from the ' Old ' Benteke.

That does not mean he's going to carry that on, can't take a player based in a couple goals scored it would be crackers.

Not sure how you can defend a player who's job it is to find the net and can never manage it. Yes it's not the whole story of a striker there are many ways a striker can aid his fellow players but it's not good having strikers who struggle to put one in the net. What did they say on TV other day when Davis came on?? 51 appearances without a goal, something like that. It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't trying to get to the next level of football, Davis would do for the championship, Benteke would do for a relegation fight but not at the level were trying to reach. Trying to reach European football and I have no confidence in either players, we can do much much better in signings than Benteke or Davis now. We must learn as fans to stop these fantasy's or holding onto players that are keeping the club back. Keep the best and sell the worst this is business and if we do not do that we will end up back down and never finding European football but I'm sure those in charge of Villa already know this, good job as well.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

That does not mean he's going to carry that on, can't take a player based in a couple goals scored it would be crackers.

Not sure how you can defend a player who's job it is to find the net and can never manage it. Yes it's not the whole story of a striker there are many ways a striker can aid his fellow players but it's not good having strikers who struggle to put one in the net. What did they say on TV other day when Davis came on?? 51 appearances without a goal, something like that. It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't trying to get to the next level of football, Davis would do for the championship, Benteke would do for a relegation fight but not at the level were trying to reach. Trying to reach European football and I have no confidence in either players, we can do much much better in signings than Benteke or Davis now. We must learn as fans to stop these fantasy's or holding onto players that are keeping the club back. Keep the best and sell the worst this is business and if we do not do that we will end up back down and never finding European football but I'm sure those in charge of Villa already know this, good job as well.

FYI mate, I'm not saying we should consider signing Benteke lol.

However, just highlighting that I feel there is definitely a difference in pedigree between the two.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

FYI mate, I'm not saying we should consider signing Benteke lol.

However, just highlighting that I feel there is definitely a difference in pedigree between the two.

Yes I agree with you on that, however I feel for where we are at, Davis is no good come summer and we should either Loan out or let him go on his merry way with lots of luck. Now whether Davis can find himself if he was sent on Loan and if we then did pull him from his loan move if he could play much better, well that's down to him and goodluch whatever Villa decide. As for Benteke I'm not sure how he would benefit us going forward if he did come here for when we want to be. If he's scoring I wish him the best on that and hope he keeps it up just not against us. 

It'd be like Traore coming back I reckon, the big question is what could Smith and Co get out of returning players like Amavi, Traore, Benteke?? It does interest me on the outcome with those three but it could be at a big cost. If it had of happened last season and those three were pulled in would we of been In a better position than what we finished, most likely but this season I am not so sure.

• Like 1

Finishing in the top half this season, would also have a lot of players who might not have considered coming to us at the end of last season, pricking up their ears on hearing of our potential interest in them this summer. A place in Europe, would have added to what we have to offer, but a move to a club that is moving on up the league, with that in mind, should tempt a lot of very decent players to consider making a move to B6. I feel that there will be some exciting links to come during the summer.  

• Like 2

Clickbait article saying we are looking for the next Grealish ... Exciting though accept he is irreplaceable. 

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-aston-villa-set-sights-on-signing-next-grealish-this-summer/

The Midlands giants are likely to look at the 17-20 age bracket for the new attacking catalyst.

The plan would then be to develop him into a first-team player over the coming seasons, and one capable of providing the magic moments startlingly absent when Grealish does not play.

The source explained to find the “next Grealish” is likely to centre on overseas markets.

20 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Clickbait article saying we are looking for the next Grealish ... Exciting though accept he is irreplaceable. 

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-aston-villa-set-sights-on-signing-next-grealish-this-summer/

Well we certainly need someone who can step up in his absence, or replace him if he ever is to go.

We need someone who can replicate his " style " etc so it does not disrupt us as much as it currently does when he is out.

Something we should always have been looking for regardless of circumstance IMO.

Are there any of our current crop of young players with this type of potential? Not necessarily to be as good as Jack, but to offer something similar up there?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Who isn't looking for the next Grealish tbf

'Nah mate, we're just trying scout mediocre players in the hope that they become bang average after a few years' 

Scintillating and insightful journalism

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The Midlands giants are likely to look at the 17-20 age bracket for the new attacking catalyst.

There will be a gem out there that exists, Man Utd unearthed Ronaldo all those years ago.

If we manage to unearth the next Messi/Grealish/Ronaldo then that would be something special.

• Like 1

Talk of searching for “the next Grealish” is nonsensical. Grealish is a once in a generation player, you can’t buy them as they don’t exist. Our very best hopes of any sort of success are to retain Grealish and add some stardust around him. We need 3, more likely 4, really good talents to come into the 1st team, that would give us a chance to compete in amongst the top clubs. We need a top level LW, CF, DM as a minimum. A really good CM would be a bonus this summer. It’ll be harder to improve from here on, and more expensive. We won’t see the same size progress that we’ve seen the last 2-3 years. I’m very content with our 1st choice back 4, I think they can compete at the sharp end. I think McGinn can’t go any higher, he’s reached his ceiling, Ditto ElGhazi, Trezeguet. If we’re to continue to improve then those 3 would be stand ins next season. I think we’ll see further improvement from Traore, he can definitely be a match winner/game changer. Then we need real competition/alternative for Watkins. The final part of this season and summer transfer window will be pivotal to our ambitions/expectations 

11 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

There will be a gem out there that exists, Man Utd unearthed Ronaldo all those years ago.

If we manage to unearth the next Messi/Grealish/Ronaldo then that would be something special.

The problem is there are too many in the past that have been talked about as the next Messi or Ronaldo and end up falling before they have started.  Somebody who looks a potential star now may flop very quickly.  We have to spot that talent before anybody else and be very lucky that it works out...not saying there isnt a chance but with the worldwide networks of talent spotting these days and the top level being so hard to succeed, it's going to be tough but we have to have faith in our club and talent spotting to find that player.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Talk of searching for “the next Grealish” is nonsensical. Grealish is a once in a generation player, you can’t buy them as they don’t exist. Our very best hopes of any sort of success are to retain Grealish and add some stardust around him. We need 3, more likely 4, really good talents to come into the 1st team, that would give us a chance to compete in amongst the top clubs. We need a top level LW, CF, DM as a minimum. A really good CM would be a bonus this summer. It’ll be harder to improve from here on, and more expensive. We won’t see the same size progress that we’ve seen the last 2-3 years. I’m very content with our 1st choice back 4, I think they can compete at the sharp end. I think McGinn can’t go any higher, he’s reached his ceiling, Ditto ElGhazi, Trezeguet. If we’re to continue to improve then those 3 would be stand ins next season. I think we’ll see further improvement from Traore, he can definitely be a match winner/game changer. Then we need real competition/alternative for Watkins. The final part of this season and summer transfer window will be pivotal to our ambitions/expectations 

Sorry but this is some predicting the future kind of stuff and over hype. Lol

There are MANY, very good young talents out there who could have the potential to equal or surpass Jack.

It's a HUGE world.

Jack isn't Pele, Maradonna, Fat Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Christiano or Messi, yet.

Let's calm down ffs.

I know we are meant to have " tunnel vision " re our own but.... ?

Unless you are talking just in England/UK; or Aston Villa?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think a few of us may be being a little too hasty to write off McGinn. If he can get back to his best, which I think that he can, then for me he is a keeper. 

• Like 1