Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

15 hours ago, nick76 said:

I completely agree but I'd also potentially buying that 10m striker may be a waste of money.  I still look at Wolves last season that lost their main striker Jimenez and tried to rely on a back up type striker in Jose and then a young talented kid from abroad in Silva.  My nightmare is Ollie out and then we have a young talented kid from abroad in Alvarez and a back up striker in Wes whose struggling to get back match fit and we arent sure yet is quite right.  that's my nightmare...this is aside from all the benefits a top striker would bring in competition that is my nightmare.  Wolves ended up suffering all season and the manager went, for us we would lose our manager and Jack would leave.

Yeah I think most teams would share that nightmare if X player in their squad went down with injury. 

But that’s exactly what it is, a nightmare, worst case scenario. I know how much you value the striker position - but when you measure risk it’s impact * probability.

You then weigh up the costs of the various types of remediation and how much they reduce the risk (cheaper striker or more expensive striker) vs how much it will cost to remediate other risks (players in other positions) or generally improve the team.

I agree it would be bad, but Watkins going down isn’t even the biggest risk - Jack going down is worse, and arguably Emi as well. Buendia may end up in that category too. If we lost Konsa and Mings that would also be a disaster. But we can’t afford to strengthen all of those positions with 1st team quality instead of other positions we are comparatively weak in.

In regards to Tammy, I don’t think it’s good risk management strategy to break our transfer record on a player who can’t play with the player we already have who is one of the best English strikers in football. It’s the same reason spending £40M on a backup keeper to Martinez is bad business. It would potentially be a different story if Tammy could play multiple positions, but he can’t, and even then it’s a subjective debate on whether that’s the best approach when considering other areas of weakness.

• Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Yeah I think most teams would share that nightmare if X player in their squad went down with injury. 

But that’s exactly what it is, a nightmare, worst case scenario. I know how much you value the striker position - but when you measure risk it’s impact * probability.

You then weigh up the costs of the various types of remediation and how much they reduce the risk (cheaper striker or more expensive striker) vs how much it will cost to remediate other risks (players in other positions) or generally improve the team.

I agree it would be bad, but Watkins going down isn’t even the biggest risk - Jack going down is worse, and arguably Emi as well. Buendia may end up in that category too. If we lost Konsa and Mings that would also be a disaster. But we can’t afford to strengthen all of those positions with 1st team quality instead of other positions we are comparatively weak in.

In regards to Tammy, I don’t think it’s good risk management strategy to break our transfer record on a player who can’t play with the player we already have who is one of the best English strikers in football. It’s the same reason spending £40M on a backup keeper to Martinez is bad business. It would potentially be a different story if Tammy could play multiple positions, but he can’t, and even then it’s a subjective debate on whether that’s the best approach when considering other areas of weakness.

Most common sense post on here I've read in ages. All these what if player X gets injured are nonsense. What if Salah and/or Mane get injured? Liverpool would be fooked and they don't have big money signings that would cover them. They do make big money signings often and then they barely kick a ball

• Thanks 1

Harry Winks is a better player than people give him credit for. Do we need him here? Absolutely not. We are stacked in that position and we need someone with more presence in the middle of the park but he's a better player than Douglas Luiz. 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

54 minutes ago, sne said:

Messi a free agent now. No longer a Barca player :D 

Not Villa related but the Messi situation is amazing really. Imagine being the best player in the world (arguably the best player of all time) and he sits today with no contract. How has no club signed him up? If it happened in Football Manager you'd say it was a glitch.

It's assumed he is going to stay with Barca but I think there's more to it. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Harry Winks is a better player than people give him credit for. Do we need him here? Absolutely not. We are stacked in that position and we need someone with more presence in the middle of the park but he's a better player than Douglas Luiz. 

Unless Luiz is off to Roma or elsewhere?

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

With respect I don't agree. Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of Winks but when I've watched him he's been pretty average. 

Luiz is a consistent starter for the Brazil national team. He's also two years younger than Winks. 

Luiz to Winks would be a serious step down in quality. 

• Like 2

if Roma came in with a 25-30m offer for Luiz, I'd take it. 

He's not a bad player but I don't really know what he's good at. He's a jack of all trades but a master of none. He's not particularly physical, he doesn't dictate the play, he doesn't get assists and doesn't really score. I think we'd benefit massively from having an Oriel Romeu type in there. A bit of an animal who never hides.

Unfortunately, as much as I want Luiz to be the silky Brazilian we all crave, I think he's the weak link in our midfield at the moment. He had a pretty poor season tbh and lost his place on a few occasions to Nakamba who is very average. 

A new DCM and an ACM is an absolute must if we want to improve and progress this season. That's provided Grealish stays. If he leaves then all bets are off and I have no idea what we'll do. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Not Villa related but the Messi situation is amazing really. Imagine being the best player in the world (arguably the best player of all time) and he sits today with no contract. How has no club signed him up? If it happened in Football Manager you'd say it was a glitch.

It's assumed he is going to stay with Barca but I think there's more to it. 

I can think of one million reasons per week. 

• Like 1

Just now, Herman22 said:

With respect I don't agree. Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of Winks but when I've watched him he's been pretty average. 

Luiz is a consistent starter for the Brazil national team. He's also two years younger than Winks. 

Luiz to Winks would be a serious step down in quality. 

Fair enough mate. We all see it differently. 

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Unless Luiz is off to Roma or elsewhere?

Luiz is the one player I do feel could be a surprise leaver this summer. He is down to his final two years on his contract, and no news of him signing a new one so I wouldn't be surprised if the club maybe cash in this summer while his value is still reasonably high.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

Just now, NeilS said:

Luiz is the one player I do feel could leave the club this summer. He is down to his final two years on his contract, and no news of him signing a new one so I wouldn't be surprised if the club maybe cash in this summer while his value is still reasonably high.

Agreed Neil. I have no doubt we could turn a 7-10m profit on him and reinvest that on a better player. I've no doubt that the club will listen to offers for Nakamba, Luiz and El Ghazi provided the money is right. 
If we genuinely want to progress, we can't be sentimental. We need to turn players over who aren't going to make us better and if we can make a profit on them, even better. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So true. He's pretty much single handedly bankrupted Barcelona over the years! 
Great player, but he's a greedy little b******. 

That's why he'll never be as good as Maradona. Maradona won the league with Napoli. And when Italy played Argentina in Napoli the Italians (Neapolitans) cheered Argentina. It was crazy to see. 

If Messi wants to be better than Maradona take the pay cut ,come to Villa and fire us to the title. 😂😂😂😂

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed Neil. I have no doubt we could turn a 7-10m profit on him and reinvest that on a better player. I've no doubt that the club will listen to offers for Nakamba, Luiz and El Ghazi provided the money is right. 
If we genuinely want to progress, we can't be sentimental. We need to turn players over who aren't going to make us better and if we can make a profit on them, even better. 

This is a point that I couldn't agree with more, we need to show that ruthless intent going forward.

Not sure I necessarily agree with Luiz being one of them as I think he can become a really good player for us--El Ghazi and Nakamba definitely fall under this category though.

• Like 2