Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

We need creativity through the middle - that'd be my number one priority. It doesn't look like Barkley is working out, so we need to find someone who'll consistently cut the mustard. I think it boils down to availability here - who is available in the 30-40m bracket and fits the skill and personal profile? It might be that we spend that on a winger and move Jack inside (which would be my Plan B, as I prefer Jack out on the left).

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

We need creativity through the middle - that'd be my number one priority. It doesn't look like Barkley is working out, so we need to find someone who'll consistently cut the mustard. I think it boils down to availability here - who is available in the 30-40m bracket and fits the skill and personal profile? It might be that we spend that on a winger and move Jack inside (which would be my Plan B, as I prefer Jack out on the left).

That was the original plan and it never worked out.

As highlighted by another poster, Rashica was that man you are searching for in your above post.

Unfortunately we ended up with Barkley instead.

I think we have a number of areas where we need to improve the quality, most notably on the right wing which is the absolute priority, and then a couple of positions where we could do with better depth, with centre forward being the one that sticks out. 

The only 'gap' in the squad, where we won't have a body in the summer is for a second left back - that's going to need to be a high priority. Targett has been excellent this season and I don't think we should be looking for someone to replace him, I think we need a quality back up and would look for a young player with a lot of talent who is happy to play in the cups and get the odd game when Targett isn't available.

Any thoughts on a talented, gettable 19-22 year old left back that would be prepared to spend a fair bit of time on the bench?

I'd like him to be reasonably priced please too as I think we might need to spend £40-50m on a right winger.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That was the original plan and it never worked out.

As highlighted by another poster, Rashica was that man you are searching for in your above post.

Unfortunately we ended up with Barkley instead.

In a way I'd hope we never do business with Bremen as a result under their current owners. Would they get any money for him in the Summer, I thought they were desperate to sell him?

How is Raschica's form, anyone know?

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In a way I'd hope we never do business with Bremen as a result under their current owners. Would they get any money for him in the Summer, I thought they were desperate to sell him?

No goals one assist in 16 games so same as Trezeguet return

I think both of them **** up in the summer as wont get near the return. If anything i think we agreed a fee with Bremen but Rashica wanted Champions League. His shitty journalist buddy was a bigger clearing in the woods

Important in the summer we add 3/4 players of first team quality not just to bulk the squad 

Striker to compete with Ollie and to give him a break at times 

A top class winger or CAM depending on where we want to play Jack are essential 

Squad is evolving nicely and don’t forget we are not even two seasons in to our complete club rebuild.

Last night was frustrating as have a lot of games recently. I think this will only strengthen NSWE & Co resolve to spend big again to improve the overall quality of the 1st XI. Jack’s absence and Barkley’s inertia would have drilled home the need for improved creativity. Bring in the summer! 

Edited by thabucks

Realistically in summer 

Elmo and Talyor will go on frees 

Hourihane will go

Barkley won’t be signed 

Davis should go 

Trezeguet should go

Guilbert could go too 

And depending on who we Target El Ghazi could go too 

Need another attacker and at least one quality centre midfielder. 

Sorry but John McGinn and Luiz are not the centre midfield of a top 10 team. Sanson could be good and willing to stick with him and I like Traore but is he a right winger? Not for me.

Trezeuget is a solid squad player and it’s time for El Ghazi to leave as well.

I don’t think Watkins is the lone striker Villa need. He pushes wide too much and that comes from his genuine instinct as a winger. Furthermore, I feel Cash isn’t a full back and would be better employed as a wide forward with Grealish as Villa’s no.10.

Beyond Martinez, Mings, Konsa and Target Villa are incredibly unbalanced through the middle and going forward as you have midfielders too similar and a forward who wants to go wide.

I don’t know what Smith’s plan is but Villa are not playing like Brentford which was why Smith was brought to the club in the first place. Recent performances have been dire and in particular last night where a Spurs team lacking confidence and the majority of their best players on the bench still were too good for Villa.

McGinn and Luiz need replacing in the summer along with at least one FB and a striker so a minimum of four quality player in and probably more with the likes of Elmo, Hourihane, Taylor, Trez, and Gaz out.

Edited by striker

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

The players we signed in the summer will be on a fair lot more than 20-30k

Yes I know that's what I mean. Likes of Cash, Watkins and Martinez would've been in that range and with the transfer fees they'd be in 40-60k range now.

Next step for us is to target players earning 60-70k at their clubs as that indicates they're first choice and key players and that means they'd probably want 80-100k here.

Shows how mind boggling the wage bills are at most prem clubs now but it's a difficult balancing act as we found to our cost under MON and just wondering if our FFP situation would even allow it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we have a number of areas where we need to improve the quality, most notably on the right wing which is the absolute priority, and then a couple of positions where we could do with better depth, with centre forward being the one that sticks out. 

The only 'gap' in the squad, where we won't have a body in the summer is for a second left back - that's going to need to be a high priority. Targett has been excellent this season and I don't think we should be looking for someone to replace him, I think we need a quality back up and would look for a young player with a lot of talent who is happy to play in the cups and get the odd game when Targett isn't available.

Any thoughts on a talented, gettable 19-22 year old left back that would be prepared to spend a fair bit of time on the bench?

I'd like him to be reasonably priced please too as I think we might need to spend £40-50m on a right winger.

Think it makes more sense just to sign a CB who can fill out at LB when needed as Targett totally shocked me with how good he's been and probably our best outfield player last night so earned the right for 30 + starts next season.

Said before someone like Saiss from Wolves would be ideal as he plays well in about 3 different positions for them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes I know that's what I mean. Likes of Cash, Watkins and Martinez would've been in that range and with the transfer fees they'd be in 40-60k range now.

Next step for us is to target players earning 60-70k at their clubs as that indicates they're first choice and key players and that means they'd probably want 80-100k here.

Shows how mind boggling the wage bills are at most prem clubs now but it's a difficult balancing act as we found to our cost under MON and just wondering if our FFP situation would even allow it.

I think this is the main issue in the Summer. Due to FFP including our final Championship season, our wage budget will be okay but not the scope to offer new signings £60-70k a week. 

I think we all agree that we require improvements in multiple positions and clearly we will not be able to achieve it all in the Summer. I’m not expecting £40M signings this Summer, however, the Summer of 2022 will be that time as all of our financial shackles will be gone. 

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's really hard to say because Werder Bremen are so dire. Their league position has improved since last year but they're still painful to watch. I'd suggest that both Rashica and Josh Sargent are talented attackers who would thrive in a better team, but it's just so hard to be sure until you put them in a better environment. Rashica seems to have a lot of attacking enterprise, but I'm not sure about his final ball, and Sargent seems to be a really well-rounded striker who works hard for the team but is starved of service.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Sargent makes out for the U.S. over the international break—with respect to how he stacks up in comparison to strikers Daryl Dike, who has been tearing it up at Barnsley, and Jordan Siebatcheu, who has been in a rich vein of form at Young Boys, and how he makes out in a more dynamic system with service from creative attacking players like Christian Pulisic and Gio Reyna.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Totally I would be much more worried about wage bills eating transfer budgets of the future than getting a particular player in with a massive wage.

10 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how Sargent makes out for the U.S. over the international break—with respect to how he stacks up in comparison to strikers Daryl Dike, who has been tearing it up at Barnsley, and Jordan Siebatcheu, who has been in a rich vein of form at Young Boys, and how he makes out in a more dynamic system with service from creative attacking players like Christian Pulisic and Gio Reyna.

I’ve been following Sargent for a couple of seasons now and he looks a great talent for sure. Be interesting how Sargent, Dike & Hoppe develop as all three have their own special talents - the USMNT roster is shaping up nicely. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’ve been following Sargent for a couple of seasons now and he looks a great talent for sure. Be interesting how Sargent, Dike & Hoppe develop as all three have their own special talents - the USMNT roster is shaping up nicely. 

Apparently Schalke were going to lwt Hoppe go at the end of the season before his breakthrough. He only got games as didn't have another striker available

This might be just a streak of form for him

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, thabucks said:

There's certainly been a sort of development horizon where something has changed for us. There's still a long, long way to go till we've got seven or eight world-class players challenging for two or three spots like England, but I'll take marked progress where I can get it. Exciting prospects are coming out of the woodwork.

I'm not afraid to admit I've got my fingers crossed for an American at Villa again—and not a goalkeeper.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Apparently Schalke were going to lwt Hoppe go at the end of the season before his breakthrough. He only got games as didn't have another striker available

This might be just a streak of form for him

He wasn't particularly prolific even at the youth level, but there seems to be something about him. If reports are to be believed, Spurs and Liverpool are interested in him as well.

I haven't seen enough to have a firm opinion, but from what I have seen, there's a certain rawness about his game that clearly needs refinement, but he also seems to have a kind of ruthlessness that you just can't teach. Schalke are such a mess that it's really hard to suss out how players will perform in other environments. Just like Rashica and Sargent seem to be the bright spots for Werder Bremen (I rate Gebre Selassie as well, but he's 34), Hoppe and Amine Harit seem to be the bright spots for Schalke.

Been a while since we signed a Brazilian - how about Kaio Jorge 19 yo forward from Santos ? He’s being linked with Ajax, Ch€l$ki & Arsenal - his contract expires in December so is available cut price and one of the their many next big things... 

Here is the obligatory YouTube compilation... 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2