The Next Level

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Whilst they don't have the same quality in every position they most definately have strong competion for every posistion?

It's not the case really though. Klopp plays same XI barring injury. He's been playing Henderson at CB because of injuries. Funny times

Edited by Kiwivillan

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

It's not really though. Klopp plays same XI barring injury. He's been playing Henderson at CB because of injuries. Funny times

Henderson is very versatile and offers that though just like Milner does to some degree, and to be fair their injuries in defence are pretty fkin aweful! If we lost Mings AND Konsa we'd be bottom third without a doubt, they are hanging in the top 4 because they have quality throughout the squad.

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Whilst I'm not in the first on the team sheet can't be dropped brigade he's far from the first that needs to be upgraded.

Agree and it’s not about upgrading Mings, but maybe bringing in someone for competition for starting places. We have one of the best defences in the PL and another 38 games of experience under their belts should make them better again next season.

4 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Agree and it’s not about upgrading Mings, but maybe bringing in someone for competition for starting places. We have one of the best defences in the PL and another 38 games of experience under their belts should make them better again next season.

It is a bit strange seeing critisism of our defence when we are doing so well defensively I know Emi has been a huge part of that but Hause has had to deputise for 4 games and managed 3 clean sheets!

Edited by zab6359
  • Like 1

You can rotate in other areas but I wouldn't be bringing in players to rotate a settled back 4. 

We need strong competition there, but for me that wouldn't be priority.

I think we need more strength in depth out wide and up top. 

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

It is a bit strange seeing critisism of our defence when we are doing so well defensively I know Emi has been a huge part of that but Hause has had to deputise for 4 games and managed 3 clean sheets!

It's a sign of how good we have been. There is very little to criticize, so we have to pick on the smallest of things.

I think there 2 aspects to this. who are the teams above us we could pass without spending 500m. Spuds, Leicester and I would probably include Arsenal and Everton. I'm not including the kit stealers, they are there under false pretences. They probably have better squads, although our first 11 is a fair match. So competition for places would bring us level.

What all of them have is a top striker, Aguero, Rashford, Aubamuyang, Kane, Vardy, Salah etc. Now I'm not saying Ollie wont get there, It's just he's not there yet. These are 100m players on 200k a week. 

Personally I think Kane will leave soon if spuds don't win anything and Vardy is 35 I think. I don't think either team would spend the money required to replace, So it's finding someone who you know is going to bang them in.

Would imagine we'll look to and move on all of Gulibert, Steer/Heaton. AEM, Engels, Taylor, Nakamba, Hourihane, Davis and then possibly a "shock" departure of either AEG or Trez as can see us getting in another wide player.

I assume one of the handicaps of FFP over last two years is we can never move on any of our squad players for big fees so we have to wait until they get close to out of contract or we move them on for small fees.

A few of those listed above out of contract but you'd think we'd be capable of getting 25-30m moving on likes of Hourihane, Nakamba, Engels and El Ghazi for example.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

we will not be "upgrading" our £25m england international CB and team leader who is a good player and part of the team ranked 3rd (?) for goals conceded and 2nd (?) for clean sheets

nor do we need to

We may or may not need to, but why sigh because someone has a different opinion (not that it was you)? the forum would be a bit crap if we all thought the same thing.

Edited by Spyro Tek

1 hour ago, Spyro Tek said:

We may or may not need to, but why sigh because someone has a different opinion (not that it was you)? the forum would be a bit crap if we all thought the same thing.

I don't think it was anything personal to you, Mings is just one of those subjects that can end up going on and on when he gets brought up, especially since he called the fans out over El Ghazi.

55 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't think it was anything personal to you, Mings is just one of those subjects that can end up going on and on when he gets brought up, especially since he called the fans out over El Ghazi.

That's fair enough then. I haven't been around long so don't know if it's one of those ongoing things. At least it was on topic though and not just me randomly saying I think he's crap as I've heard some fans say. (I don't think he's crap)

• Like 1

Mings 150 first team games including 10 for Chippenham

Cash 150 first team games including 10 for dagenham and redbridge 

Konsa 151 games for Charlton and Villa. 

I think sometimes we overlook just how few games Mings has played in his career . He has he totals of a 23 year old not someone nearly 28. We expect more of him as he is the senior player but if you look at games played he is exactly the same as the other 2m 

I think he will not peak for another maybe 4 years as he is an athlete . If he irons out the one stupid mistake every couple of games you have a brilliant organiser who is brilliant in the air who will throw himself at balls and also have a great cultured left foot and a decent turn of pace. Tyrone is Imo a huge part of going to the next level

• Like 2

I've no issue with saying we need to replace Mings and many others. Reality is we probably have 3 maybe 4 players who would play in a top 4 team if that's the aim. Barkley is on loan from Chelsea who deemed him not good enough. Shows where the standard is. Until that comes I'll enjoy them helping us get to that level.

15 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Whilst they don't have the same quality in every position they most definately have strong competion for every posistion?

That’s what I am getting at with the bench as good as. 

Trez improved his game and essentially early in the second was our second best wide play after Jack. Then el Ghazi game in with form and then Traore. 

their spells were as good a return for goals and assists as each other. 

our bench does not offer that for LB, RB, ST and an extra CB. 

hause has done great but we have two CB positions, he can’t play twice. 

we need players who are as good as Cash on an above average day and Target on above average day. This ensures they know they need to be hitting high quality regularly or they fall behind the player behind them. 

Cash and Targett have zero competition for their place other than covid, same for Konsa and Mings and same for Watkins. 

15 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Cash and Targett have zero competition for their place other than covid, same for Konsa and Mings and same for Watkins. 

Smith wants to play Watkins every week and there's nothing wrong with that. Loads of teams do and have done this with success. It's difficult to get quality cover who knows they are just cover. I've been saying this for ages and listened to Claret and Blue podcast this morning and said same as I do. Traore has form and experience at CF and absolute worse case AEG or Grealish Barkley etc could play false 9 as our team is so much better as a whole 

Â