The Next Level

Delphinho123

Great post .and i agree it is so hard to see where we could get better. It is because already we are a proper team and i think the sum is far greater than the parts .

This is why we are the highest rated team in the 5 leagues on Whoscored .

But my top 3 are 

Cash - love the bloke but is he top top quality ?

McGinn - love the bloke but is he top top quality or just a wasp in a jar like Grealish said ? 

Targett - looking great at the moment but is there someone faster more skillful or with more personality than him out there ? 

I cannot include Barkley as he isnt ours yet . Hope he is in the future though

Edited by MWARLEY2
Missed a bit
  • Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how many players we can upgrade without them immediately wanting to leave. Strength in depth is our big problem, but there's no point signing players we want to sit on the bench. McGinn is definitely a candidate, I think he'd get match time, but we could upgrade on him significantly I think, is he going to sit on the bench starting a few times a season though?

I think being able to rotate at will and be able to play any formation/strategy that will be competitive against any team in Europe. 

Its just getting one and all to sign up to the project.

For me only Jack and Emi are nailed on and the rest we can find as good or better for the next level.

Sounds harsh but the next level is the highest level.

Ps. For this summer, cb cf dm, possibly rw.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 3

Just now, Davkaus said:

It'll be interesting to see how many players we can upgrade without them immediately wanting to leave. Strength in depth is our big problem, but there's no point signing players we want to sit on the bench. McGinn is definitely a candidate, I think he'd get match time, but we could upgrade on him significantly I think, is he going to sit on the bench starting a few times a season though?

You could be right. But this is what I'm talking about. I've probably let my sentimental side cloud my judgement with McGinn a little. I just can't imagine a Villa side without him in it!! But you're right, he is a candidate for where we could improve.

I was having this conversation with a friend the other night. This must be the first summer in however long where there isn't a glaring need for us to improve on any specific position in the team. I love so many of the players atm. 

• Like 3

I share your optimism about the squad and manager. 

Really depends on defining what "The next level' is - if it's top 6/7 then it's not that far away,  consistent top 4 is very different though and we're a long way from it. In my opinion the only player who we couldn't replace is Grealish, everyone else can be improved on, although Emi Martinez is quickly becoming close to irreplaceable too. I agree about Luiz, he's a good player, has potential, but losing him to Man City wouldn't be a disaster and 35 mil can buy you a very good replacement if spent wisely. Barkley is a tough one to have a strong opinion on, as he's not played that much yet, he might be critically important to the way we play. Or not. 

Also, as discussed so often, strength in depth is important and there's some squad building to be done there. It'll be interesting to see how the club approach this in the summer with some players going - would they sign squad players or will they look to buy quality that go straight to the first 11 like last time? 

What's important to remember though, is that we have such a young and balanced team right now, that getting to the next level might only need some internal improvement. We're seeing some of it this season and it's something I've rarely seen from Villa teams of the past. 

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

I think being able to rotate at will and be able to play any formation/strategy that will be competitive against any team in Europe. 

Its just getting one and all to sign up to the project.

For me only Jack and Emi are nailed on and the rest we can find as good or better for the next level.

Sounds harsh but the next level is the highest level.

Totally agree on Emi and Jack. I don't think you could improve on either of them if you tried tbh. Jack is statistically the most creative player in the league and if there is a better keeper in the league than Martinez, I'd be surprised. 

Most of this team can or will improve, some will be improved upon, more players will be added to improve the overall quality and the best of the youth will stake claims. That's how we'll improve.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 1

I must say, there are very few players outside of the (perceived) Big 6 that would comfortably get in to our starting 11 and I'd also wager that a couple of our starting 11 would easily breach the big sides.

Emi is one of the prime candidates as I'd chose him of Lloris, De Gea, Leno and Mendy. I also don't think he's far off Ederson or Alisson - but that could just be me!

Grealish is another obvious candidate as I'd only place Son and Mane ahead of him if we're making direct comparisons to players who play on the left wing.

For me, from this point, we shall not look at backups apart from young prospects. We shall get quality players that should push for a first team spot. As much as I like Traore we still need a pacey winger. We could have a big DM too. We need to start rotating too. If we get a striker such as Edouard we should get him with a view to start him, while having Watkins who either starts or play on the wing. Whoever is performing starts. If we get a player as a backup, usually he will be in his last years, or he won’t be hungry to play. We get the right players, and if our current ones played better then fair enough. Either way we’d have a good squad. 
It seems that Smith is looking for players who press well in the midfield while being quality with the ball. We’re getting players that fits our style. 
Anyway, from now one I think it will be 2-3 players with maybe couple of young prospects. Ofcourse a lot would depend on outgoings too. 

Tough question as we cannot fault anyone really as they've all improved so much.

McGinn is the one for me; has many attributes but i just think he can be limited too.

Personally I feel Sanson is his long-term upgrade going forward either end of this season (or next).

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I don't think we need to improve our starting XI.

If we want to be at the next level, we need a squad; two quality players at every position. Look at the Spurs', Uniteds, City's. They can rotate and not weaken their first XI.

Emi
Heaton

Cash
XXXX

Konsa
XXXX

Mings
XXXX

Targett
XXXX

Luiz
XXXX

McGinn
Sanson

Barkley
Grealish

Traore
Trez / XXXX

Grealish
El Ghazi / XXXX

Watkins
XXXX

Basically replace every XXXX. That's the way to the next level.

Why haven't we won the Champions League then?

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Why haven't we won the Champions League then?

That's a silly question.

You asked how we need to push onto the next level. What is the next level? Pushing for Europe? Because we're doing that now with the first XI and some squad players we have.

Unless you're talking about challenging for Top4/the title? That's not pushing to the next level.

That's a silly question.

You asked how we need to push onto the next level. What is the next level? Pushing for Europe? Because we're doing that now with the first XI and some squad players we have.

Unless you're talking about challenging for Top4/the title? That's not pushing to the next level.

Ok, perhaps I was a little ambiguos. But my question remains, which areas of the team would you improve on in the Summer? Who get's replaced from the line up in my original post? 
You can't honestly say you'd be happy for us to only sign squad players in the summer?

And yes, I think that is the next level. We compete in a league where there are 4-6 very good teams, 3 bad teams and the other 12 kind of float around those 7th-17th spots. I don't think there will be a massive difference in the quality of the team who finishes 7th to that who finishes 9th. I think anyone in the top 8-10 needs to try and break that top 4, or certainly try and buy players they think can help them achieve that aim. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ok, perhaps I was a little ambiguos. But my question remains, which areas of the team would you improve on in the Summer? Who get's replaced from the line up in my original post? 
You can't honestly say you'd be happy for us to only sign squad players in the summer?

And yes, I think that is the next level. We compete in a league where there are 4-6 very good teams, 3 bad teams and the other 12 kind of float around those 7th-17th spots. I don't think there will be a massive difference in the quality of the team who finishes 7th to that who finishes 9th. I think anyone in the top 8-10 needs to try and break that top 4, or certainly try and buy players they think can help them achieve that aim. 

I have no clue, not only because I rate everyone but the team are all so likeable and I'd hate to see anyone kicked out.

I think you're right with Barkley, no necessarily on quality but in terms of reliability. You could also flip that and put Grealish there, and sign a top quality LW.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That's exactly what I said. But I'm not talking about squad players who just come in and do a job. I'm talking about equal quality. Look at City. On the wings, Sterling, Mahrez, Foden, Torres, Silva. I wouldn't say any of those are squad players, they all play equally.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I have no clue, not only because I rate everyone but the team are all so likeable and I'd hate to see anyone kicked out.

I think you're right with Barkley, no necessarily on quality but in terms of reliability. You could also flip that and put Grealish there, and sign a top quality LW.

A-ha! You see, it's tough isn't it!? 

And yes, the club is in a fortunate position that Grealish is world class as both a 10 and a LW so we could actually let Barkley go and focus on bringing in a top left winger. 

Options, options, options. 

Â